Chuka Umunna: Black people need more than ‘lazy stereotypes’ on film and TV

Afroman

I'm black, I don't have a white parent but my family is diverse.

There are people in my family born in the West Indies that would pass for white easily.

My girl and my ex are both mixed and they thought certain family members of mine were white.

Most of my 1st cousins would pass for mixed, my dad and my sister pass for mxd.

I don't understand this whole I'm blacker than you because you're fair thing.

q1vb.jpg

My sister in the middle.

My other sister is the colour of the girl on the left, I thank god they haven't let the issues of the world affect their relationship, since nursery people have asked if they are sisters, why is she a different colour etc...

There's nothing to gain by creating further division or excluding others when a lot of the time you wouldn't be able to tell their parentage unless they revealed it.

• Upvote 2

Well my complexion is between the girl on the right and the girl on the far left, maybe even as dark as the girl on the right, so how are people going to know my ethnic origins?

My best friend, fellow poster on here Chaser is fully black, through and through and he is half a shade darker than me, in fact people have thought were brothers for years, some people (idiots) say twin brothers, can you see the point that we are getting at?

I'm someone who whether or not you believe falls under the category of black, has always been treated as and considered to be black by everyone I've ever met, and I have to proudly tell them I'm actually mixed race and I love and embrace both sides of my ethnic origin. I am paving the way for generations of black people after me to be respected, accepted and successful and this is how I am treated by some people who I whole heartedly consider to be my kin, my brothers

• Upvote 4

Toney  none of them girls would pass for mixed race . Anyway theres  a difference between being light  skin black and mixed race . Not every black person  is dark skin .

I'm telling you people (mostly white) assume she has a white parent.

You can't dispute something I'm telling you happens.

If you feel white people act more favourably towards mxd people do you think they are always gonna get it right lol

What you are really saying interms of discrimination is the media act more favourably towards fair skin.

In that case where is the difference?

Miz your mum is mxd and your dad black?

What I typed started something that shouldn't of occurred. What I meant to say is why don't the media call these people the first "mixed raced" this or that, instead of just putting anyone of colour in the same boat?

Miz, I am in the same boat, sometimes people think I'm 50/50 mixed, some people think I am 100% black. My younger brother, everyone assumes he is 50/50 mixed due to him being very lighter. We do have at least 25% white in us though. I consider myself as black. 

But you're not actually black though

mizzcheef... come on bruv... u cant be saying u are black when u just said u are MIXED RACE... seriously is this what mixed race people think themselves as...?

for example someone saying they are black completely negates their caucasian bloodstream in them... doesnt make sense

• Upvote 3

They are black for all the reasons mizchif said.

Like I've said before though arguing over this label is folly.

Its negative and only describes your skin colour. It can in no way tell you what the persons background or culture is. Its a lazy way of describing someone and with this label come so much negative bollox

You just shouldn't be having this argument about who is black and who isn't. You will never get anywhere given all the different shades of black and mix race people there are. You will keep makin arbitrary judgements.

Askin the media to call barack obama and other mix race people mix race an not black is another stupidness.

Its the wrong question. Its the wrong fight

• Upvote 8

Its negative and only describes your skin colour. It can in no way tell you what the persons background or culture is. Its a lazy way of describing someone and with this label come so much negative bollox

You just shouldn't be having this argument about who is black and who isn't. You will never get anywhere given all the different shades of black and mix race people there are. You will keep makin arbitrary judgements.

Askin the media to call barack obama and other mix race people mix race an not black is another stupidness.

Well said, I am not even black, but I would class myself as black,  the whole argument over who is black or not is silly.

• Downvote 1

I got paler as I got older, imagine I used to get called black face at school then the other day a friend of a friend made a racial joke in my presence, oblivious. 

If someone can't immediately define you then you will have a lifetime of torment. People are racist, stupid and ignorant. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Why are black people the only ones who can't keep our racial purity ? You lot still looking to white people for everything. thats all you guys say kmt "white people see them as black so they  are black " " white people beat them up too so they are black " Im sorry but who gave white  people the authority to say what is black ? As i said in a previous thread you go to  africa and start talking all  this madness about a person with a white parent is black they will laugh in your  face ..

Also mizchief im sorry you  suffered discrimination in the past but it still doesn't change the fact that you have a white parent  and that is  what separates you from us . You are not black so please stop saying it 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 13

BULLSHIT , Pure BULLSHIT . If whites want to stupidly be racist to mixed race people and call them black thats their business .
And why is speaking the truth negative ? Its the fucking truth  . Truth hurts yes but its  the truth  .
Its as obvious as the nose on your face that a person with one black  parent is mixed not just black or white.  
Also its not just about skin colour because their are light skin blacks  chillin in  nigeria,congo,serra lione etc right now . Its to do with your genetics  

where did you grow up? i've never heard someone get called "black face" before, sounds awful

Them time were in Kent, white kids obviously.

Kids can be cruel but adults just as bad, black and white. 

Only those in the same position can relate but I have it easy apprantely... 

Stacks why you do you think there are different shades of black people?

ignore him being very ignorant, wants what is classed as black to be like what they do in the Italian American cosa nostra when guys are 'made', where you can only be classed as black if you can trace all your roots back to the old country (Africa) which has to be undiluted 

• Downvote 1