The Christmas & New Year Run In

Flojo

Benchmarks aren't set after a little 4 month baptism of hot water. Stay wishing.

This is what you don't seem to understand. I aren't judging Moyes on his time at Man Utd, I'm judging him on his ten years at Everton.

Do you actually think you're winning the league this season?

It wouldn't be absurd. Us being 18 clear this time last season doesn't measure a decrease in our capability. It represents your underachievement last season. Our football then wasn't a tier above our football now. In fact I think we've improved in many areas, only last year RVP papered over the cracks. Him returning to form isn't farfetched. So yes we can win the league. To even be discussing this in December is a clutch at straws.

Are you saying this taking the actual numbers into consideration or is this just that typical Man Utd fan attitude that feels context is irrelevant where your team and winning trophies are concerned?

If you win the title this season from this position it will be the greatest achievement in the history of the league.

Nah, pegging back Newcastle's lead in the 90's was a more difficult task. 8 off the top and all teams have the potential to drop points every weekend. Back then it wasn't ridiculous to suggest that Newcastke could've entered the new year top and lost only a couple of games. As the last few weeks am have shown things are gonna change significantly a few more times over the next few months.

Kompressor I'm just looking at the numbers and stand by my point that it would be the greatest achievement in the history of the league, I'll compare your form and run in to Chelsea's (who I think are in the best position to kick on and win the league) to explain why i think that.

91 points should be the aim for a team wanting to win the league, an easy way of calculating this is to win every home game, win away to the ten worst teams in the league and draw 4 other away game. It  will probably be a bit lower this season (85-86) but 91 points still isn't out of reach.

On average over the past 10 seasons the team that wins the league has won 15 of their 19 home games, even if you win every home game until the rest of the season ( which I think it would be fair to say isn't something you've suggested you're likely to do ) you'll only have won 14 which means you'd have to have exceptional away form.

As a point of reference for home form

Man City have won 10/10

Chelsea have won 9/10

Arsenal have won 6/9

Liverpool have won 8/9 

Man United have won 4/9

Of course, you can make up the points on away games that you might not be expected to win (against teams in the top half of the table) but you've got a manager who's record against the top teams is quite poor. It's also worth noting that this season only 4 teams have won away against another team in the top 8 - Liverpool at Spurs, Newcastle at Spurs, Newcastle at Man United, Everton at Man United and Arsenal at Newcastle. The games you've won over christmas have helped you climb the table but they were all games you'd be expected to win which are of course a good start but that's not what's going to win you the league given your poor home form.

You've still got to go Newcastle, Everton, Arsenal and Chelsea which will all be tough games.

Chelsea on the other hand have already been to Man Utd, Everton, Arsenal, Newcastle and Spurs and significantly took a point from United, Spurs and Arsenal (I don't think it was a coincidence Mourinho talked up these results as good for them) .

They have Mourinho as a manager who's lost 4 home games in his whole career, it's not crazy to suggest that Chelsea could win 8 of their remaining 9 home games which would put them on 67 points meaning they'd only need 24 points from their remaining away games to hit 91 points. 

Southampton

Hull

Man City

West Brom

Fulham

Villa

Crystal Palace

Swansea

Liverpool

Cardiff

I wouldn't put money on Chelsea winning 8 of those games but I'm not sure I'd bet against it either.

That's just a straight comparison with Chelsea before factoring in that there are 2 teams between you and them and that there are another two teams above them. If you win the league I'll never say a bad word about David Moyes again.

Your using reasonable means and rationale but the season so far has not followed reason or rationale for anybody.

Plenty more twists and turns to come.

(That being said on day 1 I didn't think we'd win the league and still don't. Top four and a cup win would do me this season, then hopefully the manager is backed in the next two transfer windows or at least one of them)

Manchester United 0 - 0 Chelsea (H)
Manchester United 0 - 1 Liverpool (A)
Manchester United 1 - 4 Manchester City (A)
Manchester United 1 - 1 Southampton (H)
Manchester United 1 - 0 Arsenal (H)
Manchester United 2 - 2 Tottenham (A)
Manchester United 0 - 1 Everton (H)
Manchester United 0 - 1 Newcastle (H)
Manchester United 1 - 2 Tottenham (H)

us and chelsea paid them too much respect

Utd are lucky Swansea, Southampton & Everton have shit squads

Newcastle don't have any ambition

When Studge comes back for Lpool they will kick on

Top 4 is a massive ask for Utd under moyes imo

moyes will do the cup treble

• Downvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Someone wanna update the fixtures and pts for this years run in ?

wonder if a pool fan wants to do it....