Benedict Cumberbatch 'Coloured' slur scandal

Badman

the concept of color isn't even bad. Its that the term "coloreds" is its own term with a bad historical past uttered by racist, British, Americans and South Africans. no-coloreds.jpg

If cumberbatch has that kind of phrase in his verbal repertoire people are gonna be worried about future politically incorrect/offensive terms he might blurt out.

"People of colour" is an accepted phrase. And since when was the phrase "black" considered offensive? Please.

This probably explains why people always mess up and say "African Americans" when referring to British Blacks  :lmao: 

• Upvote 1

According to the British Sociological Association, there are other words and phrases used to describe race, skin colour and heritage which could be found offensive however.

"Halfe-caste" is a "dated, racist term which should be avoided", they explain.

"Mixed race is a misleading term since it implies that a 'pure race' exists."

They advise alternatives including "mixed parentage" and "dual heritage"

mixed race is on the hit list next ffs.

This is what im saying.

Its only a matter of time before people gonna say 'Black' is outdated because the colour black is not an accurate description of what African skin looks like (its a shade of brown) and also describing someone by the colour of their skin will eventually be deemed tasteless

Thank you Dub, the only guy thats attempted to answer the questions in my OP

low turning this into a typical vip2 borefeet

My question was, how long till the term 'black' is going to be deemed un PC and is the whole issue just one big hypocritical mess as there isnt much difference between the terms 'coloured' and 'black' in terms of its connotations

how would you feel if someone refered to you as coloured in your presence?

Someone did actually a few weeks ago. I thought to myself why is he using such a term its quite 'outdated'

But saw it as more ignorant than offensive

The term will dissapear with his generation anyways

Better keep up to date. 

I highly doubt people are screaming racism this whole story is overblown. The people overreacting are the people who THINK people sre overreacting. The same people defending him and rant about black people being "too sensitive" are so close to dropping racist stuff in their rants.

A guy at work was telling me a cool story about a guy I knew was black, he referred to him as coloured. I asked him what colour he was? He looked confused then he clocked. Outdated term that should be left in the past

what colour are people who are asian/decent?

what colour are people who are mixed with different races?

Thank you Dub, the only guy thats attempted to answer the questions in my OP

low turning this into a typical vip2 borefeet

My question was, how long till the term 'black' is going to be deemed un PC and is the whole issue just one big hypocritical mess as there isnt much difference between the terms 'coloured' and 'black' in terms of its connotations

how would you feel if someone refered to you as coloured in your presence?

Someone did actually a few weeks ago. I thought to myself why is he using such a term its quite 'outdated'

But saw it as more ignorant than offensive

The term will dissapear with his generation anyways

Thats that person showing their age and ignorance.

Benedict isnt even 40, what someone said earlier is true, it shows hes never been around certain circles or even travled to feel its ok, linking also to a certain impression of those people, a view the old studio bosses might/do also share ironically stopping black actors getting work.

Coloured to me not only has the historical ties, but implies im an enigma. in 2015?

• Upvote 3

tbh he probably thought its what they say in the US, I don't think I've heard anyone in the UK use the term "coloured" but I've definitely heard it on American TV

don't think I've ever heard Americans use the term "ethnic minorities" either

Is it offensive to say Brown?

The MIL says it and it sounds racist, but she is racist so I can't tell if it's the word or her.

PC gone mad bro

Thanks.

It's hard for us uncoloured folk to know what we can and what we can't say anymore.

last i heard, white is a colour. thanks for confirming your ignorance  hence why you are so "confused" about what to say.

Is it offensive to say Brown?

The MIL says it and it sounds racist, but she is racist so I can't tell if it's the word or her.

PC gone mad bro

Thanks.

It's hard for us uncoloured folk to know what we can and what we can't say anymore.

last i heard, white is a colour. thanks for confirming your ignorance hence why you are so "confused" about what to say.

You're an idiot if you thought that was serious, sit down.

People are too lazy. What does it take to write or utter a few more words?Describe whom you are talking about. Nationalities, and regions alone don't always give enough of an accurate caption.

9/10 if is say Colombian,  Juan Cuadrado isnt going to come into your mind, more often than not Skakira, or Falcao.. So i say Afro or Black Colombian, or Colombian African. 

9/10 if i say Jamaican Kaci Fennel isnt going to come to your mind either. 

Describing helps to educate and eradicate misunderstanding.