The Official Manchester United Thread

Young £

From the Times 4/4/08Owen Hargreaves's timekeeping causes angerOliver Kay and Matt d*ckinson Owen Hargreaves’s strangely peripheral role at Manchester United is not down to poor form but disciplinary issues, The Times can reveal. In particular, Sir Alex Ferguson is known to have been angered by the player’s poor timekeeping, with Hargreaves turning up late for several team meetings. Signed for a projected fee of £20.2 million from Bayern Munich last summer, Hargreaves has found himself fourth or even fifth choice in central midfield as United chase Barclays Premier League and Champions League trophies. While speculation has centred on whether Ferguson is unconvinced by the England international’s form, it is understood that the manager has been punishing Hargreaves for what he perceives as a slovenly attitude. The revelation will astound many within the game, given the player’s reputation as a model professional. His dogged, diligent performances have led him to be touted as a possible England captain. But sources at Old Trafford have indicated that Ferguson has been unhappy with Hargreaves’s lack of punctuality. He was late to arrive at Manchester airport on Monday morning before the squad flew to Italy for their Champions League quarter-final, first leg away to AS Roma. Hargreaves was left out of the starting line-up in Rome, but made an impressive impact as a second-half substitute in United’s 2-0 win, with Ferguson conceding afterwards that he “should have brought him on much earlier”. Some may accuse Ferguson of jeopardising United’s prospects while trying to teach Hargreaves a lesson, but the manager feels that the player’s punishment is necessary and that, in any case, Michael Carrick’s outstanding recent form has left his England team-mate with a point to prove on the pitch as well as off it.One source said of Hargreaves’s indiscretions that “it might only be a matter of being 20 seconds late, but that is too late as far as the manager is concerned and he \ knows he is either going to have to adapt or face the consequences. It’s a learning process for him, but he will adapt and he has told the manager that, which should be the end of the matter.” United were dogged in their pursuit of Hargreaves, but his first season at Old Trafford has not gone as smoothly as expected. He arrived in July with a tendinitis problem in his right knee and has suffered from a series of minor ailments, though injury alone cannot explain why he has started only 17 of United’s 47 matches this season. He was bought partly to strengthen United’s midfield for the Champions League, but, remarkably, he has started just one of their nine matches in the tournament. Hargreaves’s future at Old Trafford is not thought to be in immediate jeopardy, but the 27-year-old has been left in no doubt that he must clean up his act if he is to remain integral to Ferguson’s plans. As if to prove the point, the United manager expressed admiration for Daniele De Rossi, the Roma midfield player, this week, having previously enthused about Miguel Veloso, who plays in a similar role for Sporting Lisbon. The demands of the run-in may dictate that Hargreaves starts away to Middlesbrough on Sunday or in the second leg against Roma on Wednesday. With six Premier League games remaining — including serious tests at home to Arsenal and away to Chelsea — and the likelihood of two clashes with Barcelona in a mouthwatering semi-final, Hargreaves would certainly be an asset for United in the coming weeks, but, unless he can persuade his manager of his professionalism, he is in danger of being left on the margins. - Manchester United’s relief that Nemanja Vidic had not suffered a serious knee injury was tempered yesterday by the news that their talismanic Serbia defender will be out of action for up to three weeks. Vidic was substituted 34 minutes into United’s 2-0 victory over AS Roma in the first leg of their Champions League quarter-final at the Olympic Stadium in Rome on Tuesday evening after appearing to twist his left knee as he fell awkwardly. United were fearful that Vidic may have suffered ligament damage and, in turn, miss the remainder of the season, but a second scan yesterday revealed no serious problems.
Kinda explains a bit, we all know Fergie likes to punish players for stupidty but meh
  • Downvote 1

United fanswhat is your prefer center mid pairing
Before the season i would of said - Hargreaves, CarrickDuring the 1st part of the season i would of said - Carrick, ScholesChristmans and Onwards i would of said - Hargreaves, Anderson or Carrick, AndersonRight Now I Would say - Carrick Scholes againbut if wen we play 3 CM's, my 1st two would always be Hargreaves and Carrick, then the last spot would be a tossle between Scholes, Flecther and Anderson depending on who were playing..

Think he's been quite good this season.
me too, hes had a couple good games, had a lot of average ones, couple bad onesi can still see why he was bought, and can see how vital he is gonna be during our closing stage of the seasonplus hes Technique is TOO much IMO

Guest Tronics

Our best midfield is a combination of 3 which is;Anderson up topCarrick and Scholes behind.On the subject of Hargo i too think it's just a convenient excuse seeing as he isn't that good anyways, well compared to what we have he's on the same level as Fletcher (no hype).Till this day i still don't get why we paid 20m for a midfield destroyer, despite our run of form this season if we've made any mistakes this season it was signing Hargo. A cheaper, younger alternative would have cost much less and performed better imo.

he's a good playerworks a lil harder than carrick aswelhis fam r from bolton stilbut yeh he probs does get lost or stuck in traffiche livs about 5 miles up the road from me and the traffic round here is shocking plus united and citys trainin ground r in the middle of a country field which only has 1 route u can go so he's obviously gonna b late at times

Owen Hargreaves was bought by Fergie to help them win the CLHe will only play in the tough away games against the top 3 plus Everton, City, Spurs, Spam…He lacks the craft of the others and uses the ball the poorest outta all of them, I said this last year.At home Utd don’t need a workhorse as they will have the lion share of possession, Hargreaves only comes in handy in Europe and in the tough away games as he’s an extra body in the middle that will win it and give it to the better players.CarrickAndersonScholesHargreavesFletcherO’sheaThat’s how it goes, but when the big games come along its Hargreaves plus 2

Sounds about right, a few years ago I remember reading that he had to pay an absolutely ridiculous amount for a taxi cos he was running late...It was when he was new to the England team and unknown in England, and the taxi driver had never heard of him, and wouldnt let him charge it to the FA because he didnt have any money or cards on him cos he was in such a rush.

yeah heard about this still

the only reason fergie bought hargreaves is cos hes stubbornwhen we got carrick that should of deaded his interest in hargreaves, true say carrick has been playing well, but fergie been fergie, when he wants sutin he is detirmined initi actually was of the opinion fergie would use him in the so called 'big' games with another 2 midfielders but he didnt start against liverpool or against roma AWAY which stuck out to mei think fergie has bought him, an realised he isnt actually that good...my prefered centre midfield is carrick scholes but i would put anderson and fletcher ahead of hargreaves, he can do a job at right back tho...