Arsenal v Newcastle, Sat Aug 30th, KO 5:30pm

TF S4DK

Arsène Wenger will rotate an unchanged squad for the Premier League clash with Newcastle at Emirates Stadium on Saturday.Arsenal were left nursing minor problems with Samir Nasri (sickness), Theo Walcott (knee) and William Gallas (knee) after Wednesday’s victory over Twente. However, at Friday’s press conference the manager revealed positive news. It means he will select from the same squad this weekend – but he will not be selecting the same team.“There were doubts over William Gallas, Theo Walcott and Samir Nasri but they are OK,” said Wenger. “They are all available.“It will be the same 18 as against Twente but I will rotate a little bit.”
Likely starting XIAlmuniaSagna Toure Gallas ClichyEboue Fabregas Denilson NasriAdebayor van PersieComments at the Newcastle press conference regarding other matters...
If Emmanuel Adebayor has any problems right now they are in his public relations rather than his contribution at Arsenal, according to Arsène Wenger.The Togolese striker has had a mixed reaction from a minority fans this season after summer speculation suggested he could be leaving Emirates Stadium.For his part, Wenger believes Adebayor actually deserves credit for staying. Both manager and player have admitted that bigger money lay away from North London.“His transfer saga - and the fact he was wanted by all the clubs in Europe - was not down to him,” said Wenger at Friday’s press conference. “It was down to his performances. In the end he chose to stay here so why should it turn against him?“We have to be realistic. When a player like that is wanted, it is as well an honour for Arsenal. The fact that he has decided to stay is an honour as well. And the fact that he made financial sacrifices is an honour again.“If he made some mistakes, they were PR mistakes maybe. But I like it when a football player is not ‘PR’ because, when they are, they always have the right behaviour outside and the wrong inside. I prefer the reverse situation.“In Adebayor's case, he made maybe a little PR mistake. But, for what is really important - the way he practised, the way he worked, the way he behaved on a daily basis – it is credit to him. And I think we have to be intelligent enough, the fans as well, to support him.“Yes, some of them [have reacted]. But I think the majority are behind him.“Here we have a story that has been manipulated against him by the media. But if you look at just the facts, and I have dealt with many players face-to-face on this, there is also a lot of credit [due] because he has always said to me he wants to stay. But of course if you can earn £10 here and £130 there, you are ready to stay for £60 but not for £10.”
#
Arsène Wenger expects the final days of the transfer window to be like a 'poker game'.The Arsenal manager has been linked with a number of central midfielders and could reveal his own hand before the deadline passes at midnight on Monday. However, the most high-profile move of the next few days could involve Dimitar Berbatov.The Bulgarian striker has been linked with a move from Tottenham to Manchester United but, according to reports, there is stalemate between the clubs over Berbatov's transfer fee. Wenger is not concerned over the outcome but expects plenty of manouevring between now and Monday night."In the end, it's a poker game," said the Frenchman. "Who will be the winner, it's always difficult to predict. But, from what I read, it's £5million that is the difference and, at that level, £5million doesn't make a difference any more."It usually finishes on [August] 31st with everybody going halfway, and everybody thinking they are the winner."Wenger had to endure plenty of speculation over his own centre forward this summer before Emmanuel Adebayor agreed a new long-term contract at Emirates Stadium. The Frenchman does not see similarities in the Berbatov affair."There is a difference," said Wenger. "As I've said, Adebayor was committed first and he kept his word. He said if I have a choice, I want to stay and from the outside, I only read the newspaper, that doesn't look to be the case with Berbatov."It looks like he wants a move. So you are in a different situation. When a player says to you, I always want to stay, you are not in a situation where if he doesn't go I have a problem."That's what Tottenham could consider if he [berbatov] doesn't go. Do we have a problem or not?"
Arsène Wenger is satisfied that his Champions League fixture list will NOT affect his assault on the Premier League title.Arsenal will rack up the air miles during the Group Stage with trips to Dynamo Kiev, Fenerbahce and Porto. Wenger would prefer opponents closer to home than Ukraine, Turkey and Portugal but, significantly, Arsenal will host European opposition in the days before vital Premier League clashes with Manchester United and Chelsea in November.Wenger knows that will aid his preparations for two of the biggest games of Arsenal's campaign but insists that much will also depend on the results his side muster in their first three Champions League group games."It's better [to be home] than away [before Premier League games] I must say but it depends as well on what kind of position you are in the group stage of the Champions League," said Wenger. "It depends on what sort of security you have in the Champions League group stage at that time."Basically for the quality of the Premier League it's good that so many teams are in Europe and they stay in for as long [as possible]. It evens a little bit the physical strain on all the teams in the Premier League."On paper Chelsea have a more straightforward task in Europe - they face AS Roma, Bordeaux and Romanian debutants Cluj - and will be expected to qualify quickly. Wenger acknowledges that a flying start in Europe can help on the domestic front."It gives you an edge in the Premier League if you qualify early because you are not under stress to give absolutely everything in one important group game, the fourth, fifth or sixth. That could give you an edge," he admitted."But it is very difficult to predict as well that you will qualify early. For example Manchester United have Villarreal, we know by experience that to go to Villarreal is not easy."They finished in front of Barcelona last year while Celtic is always a difficult game for anybody in the Premier League."
Arsène Wenger is well aware of the threat posed by all three of Arsenal’s Group G counterparts.Speaking a day after the Champions League draw in Monaco, the Frenchman assessed the other sides in what would appear to be a tricky draw for the Gunners - FC Porto, Fenerbahce and Dynamo Kiev.The Turkish side managed a dramatic late winner against Chelsea in the first-leg of their Quarter-Final last season and Wenger believes a trip to Istanbul will provide a stern test for his charges.“For me Fenerbahce look to be an upcoming team,” said Wenger. “Last year, for the first time, they reached the Quarter-Finals.“Turkish [sides] always have a good support, I think you know about that.“Porto had more experience than any other team in the top level of the Champions League,” added the manager. “They have already won it and have been there a few times in the final part of the Champions League.“They’ve always made it difficult against anyone in England.”A decade ago, Wenger watched his side concede a 91st-minute Dynamo Kiev equaliser at Wembley in a game the Ukranians dominated. He is not sure what to expect this time around.“For me, Dynamo Kiev is a bit of an unknown quantity for the moment,” said Wenger. “They look like they always have the best players around there. It really depends on the quality of the generation they have.“They can be a very dangerous side, we know that because we played against them when they had Shevchenko, Rebrov and Luhzny at the time and they were a very, very difficult side.”Arsène Wenger has called on Uefa to eject teams saddled with huge debt from European competition.The Arsenal manager was responding to the announcement on Thursday that Michel Platini would be launching a probe into the major financial challenges facing European football. The Uefa president aims to manufacture a “level playing field” for teams. Wenger is big fan of the investigation.“It is very welcome,” he said. “I think teams who have [these] deficits should be kicked out of Europe.“The only way to go is that there is a control over all of Europe, and I think it will go that way whether you like it or not. Uefa will bring in a control of the management of every individual club.“It is very important for the fans of the competition first, and it is very important that every club lives with the resources they have available. Clubs should not speculate and then after one year they cannot pay the salaries for the next seasons.”

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I smell a draw..owen or martins wih the opener.10 men behind the ball for 70mins of the game.. a couple chances cleared off the line and 1 or 2 hits crossbar.B4 a late scrappy equalizerHopefully am wrong
Martins is injured. Owen ain't got no striker to support him.=|2-0/3-0 Arsenal.