Trading - Spread Betting - Stocks - Shares

VENI VIDI VICI

Firstly, learning it completely is something that you will never achieve even if you lived for a thousand years.

Secondly, extremely high expert level is available to anyone that wants to learn, and for free.

Thirdly, 3 months will get you to the standard whereby you can call yourself a junior front end developer and get that job. 

It might not be a facebook, or the most amazing, interesting start-up in the world but, there are plenty of places in need right now and willing to give those people with the right attitude a chance.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

BTW for those really interested. The landscape is ever-changing.

backend and frontend is becoming increasingly interlinked.

as our browsers become more and more powerful, we won't be browsing websites, but rather webapps.

the opportunities are endless.

get involved.

trust me.

Definitely not a waste of time

In my slightly biased opinion, I would say learning to code is as beneficial - if not more - as a self-improvement skill than learning a new language.

Our current world, the logical thinking it encourages, etc

do it, and definitely start with the book I posted

• Upvote 1

Learning to program is learning how to solve problems.

Principles of programming can be applied to the way most things should work. Its why you see a lot of consultancy firms seeking people with Computer Science degrees.

As Carlos says, HTML/CSS won't really help elsewhere (outside of web) but I'd say JS can, though its more commonly used for lower level interface stuff. But go for a programming language - Ruby or Python as Carlos recommends, but I'd recommend Java personally.

And yeah, there's no point in setting out to master a language, just work out what you want to do - find out what language is best for it, and work towards that. When people ask for "X years of experience" in something it can often include years of doing your own projects.

It's not really for my CV. I just like to learn random skills during my spare time, eg foreign languages. I reckon learning at least the basics of coding etc will no doubt become ever more useful as computers are a part of everything now, or is it just a waste of time if I'm not looking to go down the career route?

As Carlos said depends what you wanna do, I've saved a shitload of money picking up bits of html css and php.

I hired some Pakistani's on Elance to add extra functionality, variables and scripts on a WP blog I have, I didn't have the desire or patience to learn what I needed to do it myself but because I knew the possibilities I more or less completely designed it and just told them to do it.

Defo useful knowing how they work regardless.

I hold Java solely responsible for my late entry into this game

I remember being much younger and thinking aight cool - Java's where it's at - let me learn this sh*t

I gave up after a week thinking only geniuses could learn it

the first page of the book I posted hits the nail on the head

JAVA EXAMPLE =

public class HelloWorld {
  public static void main(String []args) {
    System.out.println("Hello World");
  }
}

RUBY SAME EXACT THING

puts 'Hello World'

That's not to say you can't start with Java - and if you did, you won't be successful. You're just a much smarter person than I ever will be if that's how you roll..

i started with Java on my Software Development course.

It put me off for the next 2 years of that fucker, although i did end up been a don at excell and VB scripts.

Can barley us excell now tho :lol:

go for a programming language (python etc) and not a markup (html) or style (css) language

/

apparently the whole Summily story is just good marketing - investors found out this kid was making a news app and bought it+him then bought in the technology from elsewhere and just put the kid as the face of the company and the shit paid off

god knows what Yahoo are doing acquiring and simply shutting it down though

Sorry - What I meant is that if you wanted to improve your marketing skillset, object-orientated programming isn't going to be of much direct help. 

IMO - You'd be better off going to http:///www.codeacademy.com and learning the HTML/CSS/JS basics there, to help you build better e-mails, create landing pages, understand what your front-end guy is talking about etc.

Seymour - If you do want to learn programming, the book - Learn to Program by Chris Pine is amazing. Code Academy is also good to start learning anything and everything.

Personally I thought about something I would enjoy making it, and made it. Didn't even finish it  (I WILL THOUGH) but it got me to a standard whereby I was able to blag a job.

/

go for a programming language (python etc) and not a markup (html) or style (css) language

/

apparently the whole Summily story is just good marketing - investors found out this kid was making a news app and bought it+him then bought in the technology from elsewhere and just put the kid as the face of the company and the sh*t paid off

god knows what Yahoo are doing acquiring and simply shutting it down though

Kid received 200k investment in like 2011. 

His dad's an investment banker. A venture capitalist put the 200 bags down back then.

Course it's a marketing ploy. 

Guest chap44uns

hmm really i should jump on this, sport is too unstable

see this is the problem

you should only be jumping on something like this if your hearts completly in it

those looking to make a quick buck will end up giving up half way