Real talk... Anyone here been looking for a job?

2deal2

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if you're looking for media jobs GOOD LUCKmy mate wants to be a journalist and has done unpaid work experience for the sun, grazia magazine, gq, the observer and the independentshe said she sent out about 100 cvs and got about 10 responsesshe graduated last year and hasnt had a paid job YET. i think the independent were generous enough to pay her £100 a week she's just going from one work experience to another hoping someone will be kind enough to give her paid work
I start a media based job on Monday.Generating computer media for Neu Look.Holla for neu look discounts in the future.Applied to one media company and got the job.Pretty easy I thought.
congrats brother.In my experience gettin ur foot in the door is the hardest part/ is very much about who you kno. Networkin can get u farrrr. An example; last year as an estate agent i met the series director of the gadget show to show a few properties. usual banter, told him i did a media a level and was interested in it, and he offered me a job. obviously nothin major, but still started to think about all my guys from my course who were lookin for a foot in the door for like 2 years, pissed.

anyone had a telesales job before?what does it involve exactly?isit overly boring?
i haven't. but allot of my guys & an ex has. from what i here its long, none of them held it down long term.involves allot of cold calling to sell a product.expect allot of this

f*ck sakes tele-sales is boring.If its phone to customer sales. then expect to sit at a desk. script at hand, numbers on screen and you repeating the same sh*t over and over and over. the amount of rejections you get is absurd. But it's good for tele-communication experience. Boring but if you know people at the workplace it will make your life 50x easier.try and get a tele-sales job that's not target based. Also one that doesnt have to sell rather find one that is tele-communication giving/gaing information is the way forward it's less demanding.it's easy to get these jobs there always recruiting and i guess the allure of picking your own shifts can be somewhat attractive.

The job search is long. Especially if you don't know anyone that can hook you up. It is pretty much a thing of luck nowadays.But also, handing out CVs on road isn't as bad as I thought. Do it relatively early like 11am, wear a shirt, jeans and decent footwear and just be polite. Though nuff places said they don't have vacancies, I had a couple places that said they would put in a good word for me if vacancies popped up. Sheerly through being amiable, polite and presentable. Also, if you are decent looking and are dealing with the opposite sex, make sure you give them the eyes and winning smile. The some chicks in certain shops were proper grinning telling me good words would be put in made me feel good.Also people should use Reed. Have a strong covering letter and CV and you may hear from somewhere. Well, I was fortunate to get a call the next day but if it happened for me it can happen for others.

See this is one of the reasons that I'm happy with doing Computer Science in uni, because I can develop things and use that to be a selling point. With business/economics unless you got a placement as part of your course it will probably be quite hard to prove you are job-worthy.

The job search is long. Especially if you don't know anyone that can hook you up. It is pretty much a thing of luck nowadays.But also, handing out CVs on road isn't as bad as I thought. Do it relatively early like 11am, wear a shirt, jeans and decent footwear and just be polite. Though nuff places said they don't have vacancies, I had a couple places that said they would put in a good word for me if vacancies popped up. Sheerly through being amiable, polite and presentable. Also, if you are decent looking and are dealing with the opposite sex, make sure you give them the eyes and winning smile. The some chicks in certain shops were proper grinning telling me good words would be put in made me feel good.Also people should use Reed. Have a strong covering letter and CV and you may hear from somewhere. Well, I was fortunate to get a call the next day but if it happened for me it can happen for others.
that's how i got my job tbhsilly bitches

Just started work after finishing up my first year at uni... thank goodness i managed to find a job.Work at m&s, prefer the online thing to be honest...
Not a shopfloor worker?Edit: oh wait I see first year at uni, thought you said first year out of unigood stuff

anyone had a telesales job before?what does it involve exactly?isit overly boring?
LolHad a telesales job selling windows and porches at some Super-Glaze company when I was at collegeWas OVER boringSaid the same script over and over againBut at times it was jokes though cos our manager sometimes didnt give a sh*t and we could just cuss the people back in a professional manner if they tried itGot the usual summertime job lined up for now and I am going to start to apply for bare jobs related to my degree.. Loadsa graduates failing to find one tho.. Might just be a sales assistant/supervisor thing for the whole year :/

Just started work after finishing up my first year at uni... thank goodness i managed to find a job.Work at m&s, prefer the online thing to be honest...
M&S take the piss.They tell you you have a year to apply for other vacancies and get the job straight away. yet, there are NO vacancies AT ALL within that year. I even looked recently and there was nothing at all. It's bullshit. They are lying because people that work there are saying there are vacancies or they are clearly understaffed.

i was unemployed about 6 months ago but i was offered 3 different jobs in the space of a few weeks, so i can't cosign when ppl are saying its that hard.My advice is to apply to as many jobs as possible and tailor your application to all the criteria asked for.If you do that, then its hard for the employer to not give you an interviewAlso, if you don't mind working for Babylon, the Police are always recruiting Communications Officers. Starting salary £26k but its unsociable hours (24 hr call centre)

i was unemployed about 6 months ago but i was offered 3 different jobs in the space of a few weeks, so i can't cosign when ppl are saying its that hard.My advice is to apply to as many jobs as possible and tailor your application to all the criteria asked for.If you do that, then its hard for the employer to not give you an interviewAlso, if you don't mind working for Babylon, the Police are always recruiting Communications Officers. Starting salary £26k but its unsociable hours (24 hr call centre)
Always easier said than done. I have done all that sh*t and not really got interviews. Sometimes it's really a case of if you know someone you are more likely to get it.Scorrpz where do you work?

i want go back to my dolphin days, money was good and i didnt really have to do much apart from input data, arrange appointments and cancel them, attend shitty sales conferences etcthere is no longer a dolphin northern sales office now though :-(

Thought I was the only one.Been lookin for temp admin/reception work no joke I have applied for 300+ jobs in the past 4 weeks.Even applyin at mad times like 1 in the mornin tryna get the application in as soon as they come online.Do you think I've got a job yet?! Two phones calls and both of them agencies.It's ridiculous. And I've fabrictaed my resume too. It's definately pot luck when applying for these things.Tried Reed too...f*cked thing is, it tells you how many applicants have already applied and within 2 days its reaching 250+ applicants *sighs* back to the drawing board

Tried Reed too...f*cked thing is, it tells you how many applicants have already applied and within 2 days its reaching 250+ applicants *sighs* back to the drawing board
arrr reed is annoying, when you see the big number of applicants who have applied for the vacancy, its just kind of off putting.