Does the london urban culture....

Guest eights

urban music to me is street music

it comes from the bottom

its a class thing more than colour, but colour is obviously important on a cultural scale (and black people excell in this area)

that's waht we're talking about, culture - not who influenced who bla bla cos thats a never ending story

the topic is about whether our urban culture influences other urban cultures

in the same way Dipset had Grime MCs asking what's really good?  and Chiraq now has south londoners shaking their dreads and getting turnt up over a drill type beat, on youtube!

we came into this argument over Drake's approval of a london urban culture stalwart, Asher D, who also fronts a show about that very same culture

the fact is is Drake knows what its like to be a Canadian in America, so treats Brits with a level of respect he feels they deserve, but more importantly, cleverly plays the field by bigging us up, he knows what he's doing, he knows we'll be flattered by it

this is all the same old sh*t tho - begging for a US cosign.

we can't lie, we all want it - why wouldn't we?

i feel like in new york, maybe atlanta there is more of an understanding now over what happens out here

but its never gonna influence them cos its now too similar to there's

the only thing the'r ever gonna notice is the accent.

back to my original post - had we nurtured our culture and stuck to our guns we would be instantly recognisable, much like the kids in Chiraq are now

look at the way Kanye and them all dress now compared with when they first came in the game.  these guys love fashion.

if you threw Kanye into Exposure at Colliseum 15 years ago he woulda lost his sh*t over (for want of a better word) how fly we all were

remember it was SAS that brought GARMS to NY right?

the yutes these days are either just bummy or tactless

they aint influencing sh*t

• Upvote 3

interesting thoughts in here

lol @ not knowing where dubstep is from

lol @ only wanting to discuss london urban culture because of a canadian rapstar

says it all really

there's levels to this shit

the word urban in itself is a contradiction/fallacy anyway in it's practical usage, the safest elements of underground/counterculture

road - grassroots, originators

urban - imitators, sometimes unknowingly credited as originators

mainstream - the imitating imitators, where urban gets accepted and perhaps credited as the real thing i.e. road/authentic

there's a lot of dialogue between urban and mainstream obviously, basically zero between road and mainstream, and the dialogue between the roads and urban is all one way if u get me

if not TTKK

c/s lionel being a hipster c*nt

• Upvote 1

going in on the Dubstep thing

Dubstep is obviously one of the limbs of our culture, but the way it was such a introverted chin stroking scene to me went against what we're talking about here and thats our culture, which definitely werent no introverted chin stroking culture

Dubstep is what i would call a better "export"

other countries ran with it much like Drum N Bass (and deaded it at the same time)

with regards to James Blake - don't get it twisted. open the books on him and you'll see he paid his dues to dubstep. you may only be familiar with him post bbc hotlist or whatever and see him as some floppy haired singer, but he put out tunes that served that scene before it went into spontanious combustion

• Upvote 1

But if it wasn't started exclusively by black people like Hiphop for example then you can't really call it urban in that sense tbh.

Before you start in not saying that's what urban means....I don't even really get what it means apart from inner city as its og definition in which case yes dub step is from an urban area and therefore urban.

Hip hop wasn't started exclusively by black people though...

Yes it was, Latinos had a part to play but a lot of them are black anyways.

So it was started exclusively by black people but Latinos (some of whom weren't black) had a part to play? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Given that Hip Hop started in the Bronx and how much disco was an influence, anybody who thinks Blacks are exclusively responsible for starting it is going too far. Predominantly responsible yes, exclusively no.

house music was started by black people but you wouldn't call all house urban would you?

The roots of house music are as urban as it gets, it's emergence ran parallel with the rise of Hip Hop and came from the same demographic.

I Not even sending but it seems like bare man are on here talking about influence and have no idea what circumstances the genres we're talking about were born out of.

• Upvote 1

disco/kraftwerk as well..

hip hop was d melting pot of so much different shit, to garble up all them disparate influences n spit them out into suttin so..coherent? 

shits crazy

and grime took that melting pot shit and went one deeper

in terms of originality grime >> everything 

Shits changed in America tbh. They see England completely different now.

However...

They are still American lol, they can't allow themselves to openly follow so don't wait for acknowledgement...

and they have the most influential eyes on them.

For example Kanye dresses straight European fashion house now, to the majority of Americans, he just dresses gay, its all too high end, too fruity and they have no idea where to cop.

However at one time when Jim, Juelz and them was all European, they hoodwinked Europeans into thinking it was their lane by throwing some ACGs on their feet, a NY fitted, and a biker chain lol. You think them man would ever tell you they use to ask how to wear bits, or ask what bits to be put up on. Lol. Yet they definitely took and opened there styling options based on London... If you don't believe just look how they dress now lol.

• Upvote 1

Art forms such as spoken word jazz poetry and comedy records had an influence on the first rappers.[25] Coke La Rock, often credited as hip-hop's first MC[26] cites theLast Poets among his influences, as well as comedians such as The Wild Man Steve and Richard Pryor.[25] Comedian Rudy Ray Moore released under the counter albums in the 1960s and 1970s such as This p*ssy Belongs To Me (1970), which contained "raunchy, sexually explicit rhymes that often had to do with pimps, prostitutes, players, and hustlers",[27] and which later led to him being called "The Godfather of Rap".[28]

Gil Scott-Heron, a jazz poet/musician, has been cited as an influence on rappers such as Chuck D and KRS-One.[29] Scott-Heron himself was influenced by Melvin Van Peebles,[30][31] whose first album was 1968's Brer Soul. Van Peebles describes his vocal style as "the old Southern style", which was influenced by singers he had heard growing up in South Chicago.[32] Van Peebles also said that he was influenced by older forms of African-American music: "[...] people like Blind Lemon Jefferson and the field hollers. I was also influenced by spoken word song styles from Germany that I encountered when I lived in France."[33]

One of the first rappers at the beginning of the hip hop period, at the end of the 1970s, was also hip hop's first DJKool Herc. Herc, a Jamaican immigrant, started delivering simple raps at his parties, which some claim were inspired by the Jamaican tradition of toasting.[37] However, Kool Herc himself denies this link (in the 1984 book Hip Hop), saying, "Jamaican toasting? Naw, naw. No connection there. I couldn't play reggae in the Bronx. People wouldn't accept it. The inspiration for rap is James Brown and the album Hustler's Convention.".[38] Herc also suggests he was too young while in Jamaica to get into sound system parties: "I couldn’t get in. Couldn’t get in. I was ten, eleven years old,"[39] and that while in Jamaica, he was listening to James Brown: "I was listening to American music in Jamaica and my favorite artist was James Brown. That's who inspired me. A lot of the records I played were by James Brown."[37]

had Last Poets - Right On in the playlist since the start of the year, love that type of poetry