15 year old makes 14k selling crisps in school

Guest eights

Schoolboy, 15, who made £14k from tuck-shop to pay Oxbridge fees threatened with suspension Tommie Rose is raising money to go to study business, but school bosses say the 'black market' tuck-shop breaches healthy-eating guidelines
tommie-rose_3113839b.jpg
Young entrepreneur Tommie Rose has been selling chocolate, crisps and fizzy drinks to fellow pupils for three years Photo: Manchester Evening News Syndication

By Agency

4:00PM GMT 21 Nov 2014

comments.gif391 Comments

An entrepreneurial schoolboy who made £14,000 towards his university fees by selling sweets from a “black market” tuck-shop has been threatened with suspension unless he stops the enterprise.

Tommie Rose, 15, buys chocolate, crisps and fizzy drinks in bulk from discount stores and sells them to fellow pupils at a competitive mark-up.

For three years, he has been putting his £60 to £70 daily earnings into a trust fund to pay the £9,000-a-year tuition fees for university, and has his eye on studying business at Oxford or Cambridge.

However, teachers at Buile Hill High School in Salford, Greater Manchester, have threatened the teenager with suspension if he does not shut down the unofficial tuck-shop, which they say breaches healthy-eating guidelines.

Tommie, who lives on the Ordsall estate in Salford, was suspended from his previous school, Oasis Academy, for 10 days for running a similar tuck-shop, which he said was inspired by television shows such as Dragons’ Den and The Apprentice.

Last night, leading figures in the business world, including Deborah Meaden of Dragons’ Den, leapt to the young entrepreneur’s defence.

Dave Fishwick, the Burnley businessman behind Bank of Dave, said: “If this lad is showing entrepreneurial spirit so young, then what we should be doing is, rather than dampen it, find some way of encouraging it in the right way and bringing that within the school as a way of getting other kids fired up.”

Miss Meaden wrote on Twitter: “He doesn’t need a degree in business … He’s a natural.”

Tommie opened his first tuck-shop three years ago and has been so successful that he pays two friends £5.50 per day to help run his business. His parents, Gary, 33, an office worker, and Tracy, also 33, a gym manager, said they would struggle to support their son through university on their own.

“He’s a typical teenage boy who saw what he wanted and worked hard for it,” said Mr Rose.

“He realised that if you want to get ahead in business and in life, you have to start at a young age.

“I could only dream of making that sort of money at his age.” James Inman, the head teacher at Buile Hill school, said: “We admire this pupil’s entrepreneurship but school is not the place to set up a black market of fizzy drinks, sweets and chocolates.

“We have extremely high standards and with our healthy-eating policy we don’t allow isotonic drinks, fizzy drinks and large amounts of sweets for the good of our children.”

David Fox, the co-founder of the Tampopo restaurant chain, praised Tommie but said he understood the school’s stance.

“Napoleon referred to us as a nation of shopkeepers and I admire the young fellows entrepreneurship,” he said.

“I do, however, see the tension between his actions and the responsibility of the school.”

He added: “You go to school to learn about many things of which entrepreneurship is only one.

“It is completely acceptable for the school to have policies on healthy eating agreed by [governors] voted in by parents of that school.

“I would congratulate him on his sense of enterprise which he should pursue out of the school gates.”

If you got to a pound shop, which was probably his main supplier, and you get a 10 pack of crisps, sell those for 50p each and that's a fiver already.

The school might not even have a tuck shop so already he's laughing. You only need two classes of kids to come out and spend £1 each on a crisps and a chocolate and you have £50-60 a day. So one kid has to sell to 20 kids each and it's already making sense, plus the kids would come straight to him I'm not imagining it's some difficult hustle

School hussles >>>>

Me and my boy used to go out and block the parking meters around the area, wait for them to fill up and then using the metal bit of a windscreen wiper scoop the money out! Easily made £10-15+ a day each from what I remember

Lasted a few months but not everyday

Started doing it in the ends too

/

Wonder if it will still work now, chaps u onit?

• Upvote 2

Schoolboy, 15, who made £14k from tuck-shop to pay Oxbridge fees threatened with suspension Tommie Rose is raising money to go to study business, but school bosses say the 'black market' tuck-shop breaches healthy-eating guidelines
tommie-rose_3113839b.jpg

So if the bellys in your locker, im gonna force the lock (stressss)

• Upvote 1

School hussles >>>>

Me and my boy used to go out and block the parking meters around the area, wait for them to fill up and then using the metal bit of a windscreen wiper scoop the money out! Easily made £10-15+ a day each from what I remember

/

We used to do this. Go bookies and get the small ballpoints. Use them to wedge the return coin flap closed, you couldn't pull it out. End of the day go and melt the pen and all the money fell out.

School hussles >>>>

/

Ching Ching :lol: :lol:

Thought this was just something tramps did in East

• Upvote 1

lol @ the national press not being aware of ebay trolls

/

of them trampy 1p sherberts uakshbfe iubfs ai

You laugh, but we're in a thread about a 14 year old that made 14 grand off trampy packaged food.

Prick.

would you like to break down exactly how he made any money then?

• Downvote 1