General Election 2015 (Discussion Thread)

Hipster

General Election 2015  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which Party are you going to vote for?

• Conservatives
    • Labour
    • Lib Dems
    • UKIP
    • Green Party
    • f*ck Politics

innit, I wonder what the vote turnout is in my area,  the list the guy wrote my number on was less than 30 people I think, I would have been sure this would have been prime time for 9-5ers.

Do you lot reckon the vote card is enough as ID? Doesn't feel enough tbh. I mean I can't even pick up a £20 delivery to Boots without ID, yet I just need a piece of paper to help decide the people running the country.

They do ask for name and address, but the thing is printed on the card any way. They actually forgot to ask my address until I told them. 

Was 3 different tables when I went in each had 2 or 3 people serving on them. Guy took a while searching through sheets of paper to find my name. But the place was empty as I got in at 7am on the dot.

Yea it's enough because they mark off your number on the card meaning nobody can use that number again. Doesn't prove it was you but basically someone would of used your vote if they got hold of your card. I got asked to confirm my name and address as well. Didn't even have no little booths, just told me to fill it in at the side on a chair.

Also did you get 2 Ballot Papers Dub? They caught me off guard giving me a little yellow one as well. I stupidly didn't listen to what they said or take time to read it but it only had a choice of Cons, Labour and something else on that one.

Naw says on the card that you don't need to take it with you.

Not sure if you moved outta your area but I'm guessing you will have to attend your local polling station from your old address if you registered at that house. As they should have your name down on the list in that one.

My local ballot was a pisstake, had about 12 mps on it and you could make two choices.

Not sure if you moved outta your area but I'm guessing you will have to attend your local polling station from your old address if you registered at that house. As they should have your name down on the list in that one.

Pissed

I moved 8 doors down the road

2 choices?

I had 1 paper for general and 1 for local (council)

why would you have 2 choices? or is that what you mean (2 pieces of paper)?

Nah straight forward choice for general (white) but on the local you could make 2 choices from about 12 mps (was a full a4 sheet)

not sure how it works but each party had a few mps, said in the box make a maximum of 2 choices on the yellow sheet.

2 choices?

I had 1 paper for general and 1 for local (council)

why would you have 2 choices? or is that what you mean (2 pieces of paper)?

Nah straight forward choice for general (white) but on the local you could make 2 choices from about 12 mps (was a full a4 sheet)

not sure how it works but each party had a few mps, said in the box make a maximum of 2 choices on the yellow sheet.

Elections in England
Local government elections in England

The voting system

First past the post.

Who am I voting for?

Between one and three councillors to represent your ward on the local council. There are 388 local councils in England and about 20,000 councillors.

For more information on your local councillors, visit your local authority website. You can find it by entering your postcode in the Your local area section.

How to vote

Always read the instructions for filling in the ballot paper carefully, even if you have voted before.

The ballot paper lists the name of each candidate along with their party name, party logo and their address.

Depending on where you live you will be able to vote for between one and three candidates. The instructions at the top of your ballot paper will tell you how many candidates you can vote for.

Simply put a cross (X) next to each candidate that you wish to vote for. You do not have to use all of your votes; the suggested number is a maximum.

If you make a mistake then you can ask the polling staff to give you another ballot paper.

You may also be voting in other elections or referendums on the same day.

Who is elected?

The number of candidates to be elected will be the same as the number of votes that you were allowed. The candidate with the most votes is elected first, then if required the candidate with the second highest number of votes is elected, then the third placed candidate.

No candidate needs to get more than half of the votes cast. If there is a tie then a candidate is selected by the drawing of lots (i.e. a method of selection by chance such as tossing a coin or picking a name out of a hat).

Sounds like the tories are sweating on a labour turn out

Pissed

I moved 8 doors down the road

Will be the same Polling Station then no doubt lol.