General Election 2015 (Discussion Thread)

Hipster

General Election 2015  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which Party are you going to vote for?

• Conservatives
    • Labour
    • Lib Dems
    • UKIP
    • Green Party
    • f*ck Politics

I'd start by suggesting Labour were not so spineless to ditch British values in order to appease these lot in the picture that want sh*t to be segregated. I look at Saudi Arabia and wonder why the f*ck this country bends over backwards to accommodate everyone else at the cost of our values.

Don't tell me it was a minor thing, like I said if it was minor why did Labours people hit a brick wall when trying to explain it live on TV.

you really are a retard arent you.

It's bait your a flip flop wearing leftie hippie who is self hating and thinks every white person should give up there values and wealth to give to other races and wants to adopt backwards cultures from a bygone era

• Upvote 1

What British values?

you will never get a rational definition of what constitutes 'british values' from ukipers

just more whining about why england needs to return to some hallowed, but obviously imagined, past era of complete social cohesion and minimal disturbance from pesky outsiders lol

People got every right to say we don't want men and women segregated or do you want to go back to the days of that and looking down on black people, I don't, the strain of whahabism that seems rampant would slay you and your family if they ever became dominant (which I don't think will ever happen but fuck giving this strain of Islm a platform)

how much time do you spend in mosques and islamic centres?

I'd start by suggesting Labour were not so spineless to ditch British values in order to appease these lot in the picture that want sh*t to be segregated. I look at Saudi Arabia and wonder why the f*ck this country bends over backwards to accommodate everyone else at the cost of our values.

Don't tell me it was a minor thing, like I said if it was minor why did Labours people hit a brick wall when trying to explain it live on TV.

It's bait your a flip flop wearing leftie hippie who is self hating and thinks every white person should give up there values and wealth to give to other races and wants to adopt backwards cultures from a bygone era

:lol:

Lahi you have nothing to add to this youre just as dopey as gambino

lol so what is the law you would put in place? men and women must sit with each other against their will?

Ukippers literally want culture police to keep us british :lmao:  

this all goes back to fear and the scarcity of self identity slipping away, its dangerous. imaging slave owners and misogynists in general thought the same.

Lol @ denying british culture

U can eat ur pie and mash with minimal fuss. Same cant be said about the countries these immigrants are from

You can chew your khat too and I will enjoy my tea and crumpets

You can laugh but thats the attitude you adopt on here

You can laugh but thats the attitude you adopt on here

Please provide quotes of me doing this. Cheers.

How UKIP's Stupid Immigration Policies Could Destroy the UK Tech Industry
By James O Malley on  05 May 2015 at  12:30PM

One of the most successful start-ups of the last few years has been the UK Independence Party. UKIP has been around for much longer, but it is only under the leadership of charismatic demagogue Nigel Farage that it has truly gone viral.The secret? Like other languishing small businesses, when Farage took charge he chose to pivot the product that UKIP was pushing. Rather than offer weird libertarian groans about Brussels technocrats, the last few years has instead seen UKIP focus on hyping up scary foreigners. And the pivot worked too.

Despite being almost an irrelevance at the last General Election, UKIP has consistently polled nationally between 12 and 15 per cent (and sometimes higher too). That’s more than the Liberal Democrats – and due to the unusual political circumstances we’re currently in, it is plausible that former city trader Farage’s so-called “People’s Army” could soon form part of a governing coalition.

One of the many things that are scary about this prospect is that it could be utterly disastrous for the UK’s vibrant technology industry.

Let’s start with what UKIP actually wants to do. In the party’s election manifesto it calls for a referendum on Britain’s membership of the European Union (which the party wants us to leave), as well as more migration controls that will limit the number of immigrants based upon “Britain’s economic and social needs”. Work visas for high-skilled workers would be capped at 50,000 a year; that includes people coming in from the EU, and low/unskilled people would be banned from working in Britain entirely. To manage the work visas that will be granted, there would be an Australian-style “points” system.

This is wildly different to how things are today. According to the Office of National Statistics, In 2014, Britain granted 167,202 work visas – and remember, because we’re currently a member of the EU this doesn’t include the additional quarter of a million people coming from 28 countries in Europe to work in Britain. The ONS also notes that just over 23,000 visas were in “Information and Communications”, and just over 10,000 were for “Professional, Scientific and Technical Activities”. In other words, we import a heck of a lot of coders, developers and designers.

If UKIP had its way, all of these people would be forced to compete for fewer places in the UK; this would no doubt be a big hit on the UK technology sector. Tech accounts for 8 per cent of the UK economy, and as noted by Alex Wood last year, 14.5 per cent of British companies are founded by entrepreneurs from abroad. Tech is also one of the fastest growing sectors of the economy, with 27 per cent of jobs growth in London coming from tech jobs. Apparently between 2009 and 2012, the number of tech companies in London grew 76 per cent to over 88,000 companies. If Britain is to maintain and grow this, then it needs skilled people who can work for these companies – and arbitrarily shutting them out could be catastrophic.

farage.jpg

Why UKIP's "British jobs for British" workers mantra is bull

The obvious counter to bringing people over to do tech jobs is why not employ British people to do them instead? While “British jobs for British workers” may sound attractive if you don’t think about it too hard, the reality is that coding apps, crunching data and designing databases is highly skilled work. While we could conceivably massively invest in education, this wouldn’t solve the problem of needing people now. And in any case, being able to work flexibly across borders is an integral part of participating in a global marketplace.

What’s particularly crazy about UKIP’s hard-line on immigration is that British business – and tech in particular – is already frustrated by Britain’s existing draconian rules on immigration. There are already problems and Nigel Farage would make things much worse.

In November last year entrepreneur Sherry Coutu, who has worked with Zoopla, LoveFilm, YPlan and a tonne of other British tech start-ups published The Scale Up Report, which was commissioned jointly by the government and the British technology industry. The independent report pointed at the difficulty faced by British companies is growing quickly: while we do have a successful ‘Silicon Roundabout’ (the name given to the cluster of tech companies based around London’s Old Street Tube station) we still haven’t managed to match Silicon Valley. Britain still hasn’t got a tech success story on the scale of Google, Facebook or Apple.

The “scale-up gap”, Coutu describes, is that British companies struggle to grow quickly from 10 to 100 employees, and then on to 500 and 1,000, and so on. Among the identified problems is that British companies have issues recruiting staff with the skills they need, building leadership capabilities, and accessing new customers in new markets.

One of the recommendations from the report is essentially the opposite of UKIP’s fortress mentality, arguing for the introduction of new visas to make it easier for British companies to hire from abroad. A “scale-up visa” should enable foreigners to start work in Britain in just two weeks, thus enabling companies to hire who they need to grow faster, and acquire the local knowledge of people from other countries in order to sell to them. In essence, it is an argument to make immigration easy, and less weighed down by bureaucracy.

By contrast, the current political mood in the country seems to be a desire to paint “GO AWAY” on the Cliffs of Dover and get to work on a time machine that will take us back to a romanticised false memory of the 1950s. (Just don’t point out we could probably invent that time machine quicker if we could bring in more physicists and engineers from abroad.)

Speaking to the Cambridge University elections podcast, Coutu reaffirmed the importance of immigration and visas, arguing that with the sort of highly skilled people that tech needs, speed is important: if someone talented abroad comes on to the job market, by the time British companies have finished faffing about with visas, chances are the individual will have been snapped up by a foreign company, which harms the competitiveness of British business.

Chris Measures, a consultant who works with Cambridge’s cluster of technology companies is also nervous about UKIP. In a blog post last year, he argued that in addition to education and skills there’s almost a philosophical need for immigration to bridge what he calls the “ideas gap”. This is a description for the perceived cultural differences between someone who was born in Britain and abroad. Not only do people from other countries bring different experiences and ideas with them, but there’s also the “entrepreneurial” and risk-taking spirit, but which isn’t ingrained in Britons like it is in places like the United States.

So ultimately, if UKIP did manage to implement any of its immigration policies, it could be disastrous news for the UK tech industry. And I’m saying this without even addressing the massive uncertainty that British business would face were we to pull out of the EU.

To end, there is good news: it is very unlikely that Nigel Farage will get a chance to implement his policies. As things currently stand, UKIP looks set to win somewhere between one and six seats on May 7th, and any coalition deal with the Conservatives would inevitably water down UKIP’s tough-sounding nonsense into something at least slightly more palatable. Though in a sense UKIP has already won: its success over the last few years has transformed the debate around immigration; so much so that the politicians from other parties have all been forced to act tough, even if ultimately it would serve the country better for them to have the balls to tell Farage and his supporters to get a grip.

So which British values should be protected ?

And what is exactly british culture ?

And how is being anti racist, racist ? Typical im not racist you're racist spew

And no i wasnt ready to fire back at which ever country he said because i knew he couldnt answer

The world is a very small place now and as someone who likes to travel you should know this, no point having a small island mentality whats happened and been happening and imo continues to happen the best bits from each culture gets cherry picked and spreads around the world.

Britian has already contributed greatly in the spread of the english language and forced other countries hands like france to pass laws to protect there own but i dont see the need for such law here as i cant see the spreading of polish or punjabi for example

Apart from languages which evolve over time anyway i cant really see what people will need to protect in any country ??

As surely its better for everyone if the best bits from each country/culture gets cherry picked and spread

You cant stop globalisation (which gb started) whether its the good bits or the bad

i dont have the time mate

we'll continue to agree to disagree

british values would be automatically protected by closing the open door to foreign values

values values culture culture the words start losin their meaning

u can't describe a culture accurately without some sort of dissertation, particularly one so recently fluid as ours

feel free to describe some other people's culture

i like turkish coffee that is all i will say

their oppression of kurds and armenians is not as palatable

it appears the majority of the global diaspora, at least those conditioned by western media, will refuse to empathise with the original inhabitants of their new colonies

fair play

im off come august anyway, this aint my fight

Why is FA23 posting shitty left wing articles?

Why does the Tech industry need a influx of EU unskilled workers? 

"British Jobs for British Workers" is not 'BS' it is the first obligation of a sovereign nation to nurture and train its next generation and give them a bright future.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Nevermind. You lot have already moved on to other bullshit

Did you even read the article you utter fuck boy. 

/

Even the small sample of ukip heads on here shows the overwhelming cuntery of people who are gonna vote for these guy. They cry every time someone criticises them yet post fraff upon fraff from the express.

first things first, i could not give a fuck about turkey and what they have or have not done so its just a waste of time on your part and my part.

my biggest problem with most ukip fans and the likes of gambino is that they make generic statements that don't mean shit and have no real foundation and they lack the conviction when repeating these tired phrases we hear them all saying.

they should just be honest to themselves and everyone else and say what they really mean.

a lot of the shit they say is real hypocritical especially in relation to british values and culture and definitely the western way of forward thinking.

whats the point on making a statement saying blah blah when you really mean something totally different but don't want to be accused of racism.... just makes it easier for the likes of me just to keep poking.

if a man straight up said look i dont like pakistanis and im tired of all these somalis coming over here talking in there funny language and the faces i want to see on my street id much rather look like mine then some nigerians and i want my kids to go to school with other english kids not these poles.

then you cant argue about with that......... 

If you want some lols just read the first half of the UKIP topic.

Please come back with an insightful quote if you can find one.

dont worry Ukkipers Virtual reality is soon coming...

vr-set.jpg

and you can sit in your full white pub (one black tony just to prove you ain't racist) and you can have conversations about your random sports celebs (foreign probably) whilst the real world evolves.

"British Jobs for British Workers" is not 'BS' it is the first obligation of a sovereign nation to nurture and train its next generation and give them a bright future.

So desperate he posting propaganda articles from Gizmodo pmsl

You had to lock it off as was too much for you to handle with the wealth of goodness they can do for this country

It's people like you who are enemy's of this country wanting to have lower living standards to accommodate other parts of the world that ain't even helping themselves

So desperate he posting propaganda articles from Gizmodo pmsl

Would you like to disagree with anything in that article or haven't the express got anything you can use? 

You had to lock it off as was too much for you to handle with the wealth of goodness they can do for this country

It's people like you who are enemy's of this country wanting to have lower living standards to accommodate other parts of the world that ain't even helping themselves

dont even need to reply to this as ice has already summed it up.

my biggest problem with most ukip fans and the likes of gambino is that they make generic statements that don't mean shit and have no real foundation and they lack the conviction when repeating these tired phrases we hear them all saying.