Champions League Tuesday

Mr Q

Liverpool and Chelsea put domestic duties to one side as they bid to book their place in the UEFA Champions League quarter-finals.Don't forget that there are various ways you can follow the Champions League fare with Sky Sports. Check out the viewing options, and also the broadband streaming, while skysports.com will also be providing an in-depth service.More than a few Anfield sceptics have labelled Rafa Benitez a dead man walking and if indeed this is the case, the Spaniard may call on the ghosts of European glories past to help his side against Internazionale.Benitez's regime on Merseyside has encompassed middling mediocrity in domestic chores but in the splendour of European surrounds, Liverpool have proved to be sophisticates of some accomplishment.In Monday's pre-match press conference Benitez looked like a man weighed down with all the worries in the world, but on being challenged as to whether the Inter tie would be his last should his side succumb to Italian charms, he bristled with indignation and a steely resolve returned as he challenged those journalists present to name the coaches that had reached two Champions League finals in three years.In chasing a third appearance as Reds boss, Benitez will have to overcome the perennial underachievers Inter, who like an adult who refuses to leave the family nest, reign supreme in the bosom of their home(land) but are useless away from it.Roberto Mancini's side have lost just once in 59 Serie A games and top their domestic table by 11 points from Roma. On paper this should see them installed as firm favourites to progress, but then on paper, Barnsley don't win at Anfield.The spectre of Jose Mourinho at Chelsea dims with every victory under Avram Grant, but what remains is a ruthless efficiency that allows the West Londoners to claim wins in the manner of all true champions: without playing well.Roman Abramovich craves beautiful football and while that served up by Grant is more cava than champagne, it will almost certainly be good enough to quietly snuff out Olympiakos' threat with minimum fuss.Talismans Frank Lampard and John Terry have both returned in the past week to swell Grant's pool of talent and while their Greek hosts will be backed by a hostile and partisan home faithful, Chelsea will expect nothing less than a decent result to take back to Stamford Bridge.With a Carling Cup final against Tottenham peeping over the horizon the ordinary one may choose to shuffle his pack from that which disposed of Huddersfield on Saturday, with an intriguing subplot being whether he elects to pair the effervescent Nicolas Anelka with the rampaging Didier Drogba for the first time.Real Madrid travel to the Eternal City without a clutch of their defensive stalwarts but confident in the knowledge that their attack has been Gillette-sharp all season, and they should pose questions for Luciano Spalletti's Roma side.The Giallorossi are able to welcome back favourite son Francesco Totti but the playmaker will be far from at his peak given a catalogue of injuries of late.It would be hard to bill Schalke's game against Porto as anything but a battle of the also-rans, given the calibre of the other sides left in the competition.However, the Portuguese club's rich Champions League history suggests they will be confident of claiming a quarter-final spot at the expense of their Bundesliga opponents.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mascherano is a bad man, love his passion for the game.

Liverpool midfielder Javier Mascherano is ready to die in order help his side to victory over Internazionale in the UEFA Champions League.Inter travel to Liverpool on Tuesday for the first leg of their Champions League last 16 clash and the Serie A leaders arrive on Merseyside with their hosts in turmoil.The mood at Anfield is bleak to say the least as Saturday's FA Cup upset at the hands of Barnsley epitomised a lacklustre season which has left the Reds only realistically chasing silverware in Europe.Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez has come under intense pressure as the Reds' failures on the field have been combined with behind the scenes squabbles with the club's American owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks.Mascherano is expected to start in the heart of the Liverpool midfield against Inter, which is likely to see the Argentine pitted against compatriots Javier Zanetti, Esteban Cambiasso and Julio Cruz.Playing modeBut Mascherano insists friendships will be put on hold as he attempts to earn Benitez a reprieve and hand the Reds a first-leg advantage ahead of a return trip to the Giuseppe Meazza."I would die to try to get my team a win in this game. They are my team-mates for my country but my job is to stop Inter Milan's players," Mascherano told the Daily Mirror."When I play for Liverpool, I don't have any friends in the opposing side."When I go out on to the pitch, when I get my mind into playing mode, I forget about everything except winning. I will die to try and get my team a win."If that means getting myself between the ball and people who are friends off the pitch, then that is just the way it is."Liverpool v Inter Milan 1st Goalscorer: Mascherano, J. 33/1

I swear down this is a factMascherano>>>>>GerrardWe have one captain and he is a argentinef*ck Carragher aswell he dont do them rallying calls either
biggrin.gif I just dont get it.Does he have to score 30 yard screamers in the 90th minute to prove his worth to the side.What is this based on, an interviewing claining he would die for the cause cos it sure aint from his performances on the pitch.

the thing with gerrard is that if you took im out they wouldnt need to score 30 yard screemers to rescue games in 90th minthey would play a better brand of football a lot more fluid and more players would be invovled with goals like kyut etc...

the thing with gerrard is that if you took im out they wouldnt need to score 30 yard screemers to rescue games in 90th minthey would play a better brand of football a lot more fluid and more players would be invovled with goals like kyut etc...
Ok fair enough if thats the theory for it.I've just never understood it as everyone in world football, fans and proffesionals no he is there best player.

Avram's left Lampard, Terry and Anelka out the squad for tonight biggrin.gif I know he's got one eye on the CC final, but put 'em on the bench then, not out the squad altogether :D If this backfires I will NOT be happy.As far as predictions go, as long as we don't underestimate them, we should be OK. Everyone thinks this is a straight-forward win, but people are forgetting Olympaikos got through a very tough group and put in some impressive performances, especially against Real. I'm realistically hoping for a one-nil win, but I see us drawing tbh.