THE SMARTPHONE THREAD

Lenny

getting fed up wit the n900 now...

how come?

what dont u like about it?

..am looking to get one, not sure tho (or if not, the desire)

if i weren't having to use it, i would say the media player is a f*ck*ng joke, some of these reviews gassed it/underplayed how dire it really is and there ain't no suitable replacement

also it's freezing and i'm not even anywhere near capacity <_<

plus i somehow lost my stylus at the gym and operating it wit your finger IS.NOT.THE.LICK

Archos 5 internet tablet,

Just randomly browsed an argos catlouge selling for £299. upwards

I know its not a smartphone, but since it has more or less the same tricks as ur typical decent handset. (hence i didn;t bother making a totally new topic)

Just wondering are internet tablets/mutlmedia devices worth getting? anyone got one?

or are u just better off, with smartphone/iphone etc...

Looking at it, I just want it, but dont excatly need it, if u catch my drfit. Just a gadget fiend.

Archos5_small_screen.png

Display characteristics: High resolution screen, 800x480 pixels, 4.8'' TFT LCD, 16 million colors User interface: Touch screen, ON/OFF, vol+ and vol- buttons, retractable virtual keyboard Processor(s): Central Unit:

- Main processor: ARM CortexTM-A8, 32 bit, In-order, dual-issue, superscalar core @ 600 MHz

- Additional processor: 32 bit DSP @ 430 MHz RAM memory: 128 MB* (Low-Power Double Data Rate SDRAM) Mass storage memory: Hard drive, capacity according to the product version

- 60 GB* (stores up to 80 Movies, 600,000 photos or 30,000 songs1)

- 120 GB* (stores up to 160 Movies, 1.2 million photos or 60,000 songs1)

- 160 GB* (stores up to 210 Movies, 1.6 million photos or 80,000 songs1)

- 250 GB* (stores up to 300 Movies, 2.5 million photos or 145,000 songs1) Operating system: Linux In its normal use mode, the ARCHOS 5 being a miniaturized Personal Computer: Program language C - requires special developer-edition firmware15 Connectivity: On board WiFi (802.11 b/g), USB 2.0 host with optional accessories PC accessories: Possible attachment of numerous standard USB PC accessories**** (keyboard, mouse, memory key, memory cards reader, camera and other future computer accessories) Video playback**: MPEG-42 (ASP@L5 AVI, up to DVD resolution)

WMV (MP@ML, up to DVD resolution) included WMV protected files

M-JPEG (in QVGA resolution)

With optional software plug-in:

HD support: MPEG-4 (ASP 720p) & WMV HD (MP 720p)

MPEG-2 MP@ML up to 10 Mbps (up to DVD resolution) and AC3 stereo sound (5.1)

H.264 up to DVD resolution with AAC Audio playback**: Stereo MP3 decoding @ 30-320 Kbits/s CBR & VBR, WMA, Protected WMA, WMA pro 5.1, WAV (PCM/ADPCM).

AC3 stereo audio and 5.1 sound files (via SPDIF output of DVR Station)

Flac and OGG Vorbis audio files

With optional software plug-in:

AAC3 and AAC+ stereo audio files Photo viewer***: JPEG, BMP, PNG, GIF PDF viewer: Reads PDF documents (may not implement all PDF features) Video recording6: Via the optional DVR Station or DVR Snap-on. Records NTSC/PAL/SECAM in MPEG-4 AVI format with stereo sound, VGA resolution (640 x 480) @ 30 or 25 f/s Audio recording: Via the optional DVR Station or DVR Snap-on: Stereo line-in, WAV (IMA ADPCM or PCM) format

Voice recording via the optional FM remote and its built-in microphone in WAV format (IMA ADPCM) Email client Compatible with Email accounts supporting POP3 and IMAP services Import/export of vCard contacts Interfaces: USB 2.0 High-Speed Device (compatible USB 1.1 at a lower speed): Mass Storage Class (MSC) and Media Transport Protocol (MTP)

USB 2.0 Host: Mass Storage Class (MSC) and Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP) with optional Mini Dock, Battery Dock and DVR station Connections: WiFi (802.11 b/g) connection. Free Web Browser (Opera® Web browser with Adobe Flash® 9 video support) upon registration

3.5 mm mini jack for headphones

Accessory connectors to connect to the DVR Station and other ARCHOS accessories Miscellaneous Built-in speaker

Built-in leg stand Battery life: Music playback time: up to 22 hours4

Video playback time: up to 7 hours4 Power source: Internal: Lithium Polymer battery

Device charges via computer USB port

External: Power adapter/charger (via optional accessories) Scalability: Device automatically downloads latest firmware updates when the WiFi connection is activated

Updates can also be downloaded at www.archos.com Dimensions & weight: Approx 127,5 x 78,3 x 12,9 mm (for 60GB* model) – 250gr

Approx 127 x 78,8 x 19,4 mm (for 120/250GB* models) – 300gr In a possible use mode, in connection with an external computer through the USB B connector available on some optional accessories: Minimum system requirements: Microsoft® Windows® Vista, XP, ME, 2000 or higher

MAC OS X and Linux (with Mass Storage Device Support)

USB 2.0 interface Package includes: ARCHOS 5, headphones, ARCHOS USB cable, DVR Station adapter, screen cleaning cloth, Quick Start Guide (QSG), legal and safety notice.

In love with my N900, no real issues with my media player, it plays avi/xvid ffs, what more can you ask for? Emulators work nicely, Ovi maps is cool, the GPS on the desktop is a nice touch, RSS feeds, e-mail is unreliable though, Skype is good, internets smooth, even streaming vids over 3G, TV out is handy.

In love with my N900, no real issues with my media player, it plays avi/xvid ffs, what more can you ask for? Emulators work nicely, Ovi maps is cool, the GPS on the desktop is a nice touch, RSS feeds, e-mail is unreliable though, Skype is good, internets smooth, even streaming vids over 3G, TV out is handy.

bruv

the media player sucks

creating and editing playlists is some chore and my problem wit internet ain't even the phone, it all stemmed from assigned from applying web 'n' walk

bruv

the media player sucks

creating and editing playlists is some chore and my problem wit internet ain't even the phone, it all stemmed from assigned from applying web 'n' walk

Oh ok, I haven't even tried to create a playlist. Im using Web 'n' Walk & it seems cool but I must admit I haven't tried another networks internet before. My major issue with the phone is the e-mail client, that's proper rubbish, it's suppose to alert me to new e-mails but rarely ever does.

due an upgrade soonish

think im at 14 months of 18

only thing is...i love the hardware qwerty keyboard on my G1

need to start reading on whats being released and when coz

_____________ >>>>>>>> the regret when you start a new contract THEN see a better handset

only thing is...i love the hardware qwerty keyboard on my G1

only reason why i've stuck with this phone for so long.

got 2 contracts literally sitting there waiting to be upgraded, but nothing has taken my fancy.

Just switching between my g1 and hd2...

Guest El Padrino

So Dell are on this ting to bring out this handset..

042110lightningg4.jpg

Going to be called "Dell Lightning"

Specs below..

• 1 GHz Snapdragon processor
  • WVGA 4.1" OLED screen
  • AT&T and T-Mobile 3G
  • 5 MP autofocus camera
  • 1 GB flash with 512 MB RAM
  • 8 GB microSD card
  • GPS, accelerometer, compass, FM radio, ambient light sensor
  • Flash and Silverlight support
  • DivX playback

Guest El Padrino

Nokia N8

The spec...

12 megapixel camera

Symbian 3 software

3.5" capacitive touch screen

HDMI output. Yes that's correct HDMI :rolleyes:

16GB internal storage with a microSD expansion slot

HD video recording.

Symbian 3 also supports multitouch gestures like pinch to zoom. HD video recording will allow the device to record at 720p HD resolution and with the inbuilt HDMI port consumers can play their footage on large screen TVs. So your latest slore sh*t can be displayed on your 50 inches no pixellation.

nokia_n8_1.jpg

nokia_n8_2.jpg

nokia_n8_3.jpg

Aint f*ck*ng with nuttin but the black one if I have to get a Nokia fone in the near future.