(360/PS3) Final Fantasy XIII Thread

Mr. Gayle

i'd like to get this, but I dont think i have the patience for it. And still FF7 and FF8 are the best. I dont want those memories ruined by any new fangled attempt.

posd

question

have any of You seen a world map on this game?

or had a challenging battle?

All it is is battle then cutscene. The first 30 hours is sort of like an extended tutorial. After that it opens up with some side quests and monster hunts. Right after that it is like a tunnel again til the end. Nothing extra. No details to get immersed into the world. No masked illusion.

1) Apparently there are no explorable towns until 20 hours (mid-way) into the game in which you'll finally begin to explore. This is a big disappointment to me since towns and NPCs are what make the world of Final Fantasy so magical.

2) The gaming controls your 'leveling'. For the first two hours you play you gain absolutely nothing in 'experience' or 'skills' when you battle. You do not gain abilities or skills except when the plot gives it to you.

3)You are completely healed after each battle. This seems to make the game way too easy....

4)There are no shops or armories to visit. Everything is bought online via an Amazon-esque system.

5)Midway through the game when you DO get to explore towns, there's nothing IN the town to actually explore or talk to. It's just a pretty background to walk around....

6)You can only control one character when in battle; the others are controlled via A.I. which you CANNOT switch in-battle. HOWEVER, if the character you are controlling dies, than it's GAME OVER regardless if the other two characters are in perfect health. :\

7)The game is exceptionally linear. As in a tunnel. As in a perfect straight line. You cannot deviate or even explore off the beaten path. You go down the hallway, watch a cutscene, fight something and rinse and repeat. You are not allowed to do anything else.

8) The NPCs in the game are sparse and few. Most of the NPCs you see you cannot talk to. They're just walking mannequins.

9)There really is no 'main' villain. The villains that do exist in the game don't really have any motivation and fail to shine like previous villains like Kefka or Sephiroth.

10) There wayyyy too much cut-scenes. Think Metal Gear Solid 4. Many have criticized the game as being an interactive movie.

11) The characters are unlikable. Particularly Snow. Most reviewers hate Snow and the only likable character they profess is Lightening. Sazh is quite possibly one of the most offensive portrayals of African-Americans in gaming...

12)It's hard to care about the world you're in as the lack of towns, talkable NPCs and interesting characters make it difficult to connect with the world.

13)The party is often fixed; i.e. you can't change the members of your party.

14)There's a great lack of sidequests and exploration even mid-way through the game. There's no airships either....

These are the observations I could find.

Feel free to comment and correct.

well i've read the manual and apparently there's paths off the beaten track that will only open up once you've killed sum monster, and it's still a point they need to wokr on but since when was a final fantasy NOT linear, number 10 was up there with number7 and that was literally just following one path.

LOL@that black guy who keeps a chicken in his afro, sum ja ja binks character.