La Liga Thread

Hernandez Balcazar

Guest Portuguese

Man trying to tell me Frank Rikjaard will rank higher than Arsene Wenger.

DPMO.

I prefer Rijkaard's trophies and the players he worked with at Barca.

But he has been terrible at other places such as Gala and Sparta.

Guest Rorschach

Wenger has done more for the modern English game than nearly any other manager, there's only one other that comes before him and that mans been managing half a decade.

In terms of his attitude to football, playing style, the way the he and the club conducts itself

He's made an immense contribution to the game and is truly deserving of football fans respect, when he does leave, he will have left a legacy behind him, and an attempt to dismiss it so lightly is foolish.

• Upvote 4

This discussion started off someone saying Mourinho hasnt built a legacy, which he hasn't. I'm yet to see anyone prove otherwise and they would be dumb to do so, as even Mourinho would admit thats the next challenge he wants to do.

The Chelsea years he had in the grand scheme of things will be the legacy of Roman Abramovich. He along with Ranieri, Grant, Hiddink, Ancelotti are all foot notes.

Arsenal on the other hand are Wenger F.C. same for Ferguson at United. Thats a legacy, not trophies.

Man like Wenger went into the English Hall Of Fame before Bertie Mee, to Arsenal diehards it was s pisstake but it showed at the time thats Wenger's legacy was stronger.

Man say Crewe to me, I think Dario Gradi and I dont know if he has ever won a trophy in his life or take them to the top English league. Again thats a legacy.

• Upvote 2

SAF >>>>>>>> mourinho >>>>>>>

Bollocks

:/

Ferguson isn't judged by the same standards as modern coaches, it's alright looking at the performance of Man Utd over the past 20 years and saying look at what he's won etc but take in to account the money he's had at his disposal, the number of years he went without winning a trophy at the start and you can't compare him to Mourinho imo.

Man Utd fans are hilarious because they're the first to point the finger at managers such as Benitez and Wenger for not winning the league for how many years but seem to forget (or not know) that it took Ferguson 7 years to win his first league title. The money in the bank that Ferguson has to cover himself in bad patches was earned in an era with less pressure and much more leniency, modern coaches aren't given anywhere near as much time to put together a long term plan and as a result are expected to produce results pretty much instantly.

If Wenger, Benitez or Mourinho we're given 7 years to build a league winning side with the equivalent cash Ferguson was given and in charge for 24 years I'm certain they'd surpass him with considerable ease.

Ferguson has been very successful domestically but he himself has said that 2 European cups isn't enough or the amount of time he's been there.

To sum up like MK said you can't just use trophies and stats, you need to put them in context.

lol at that post

having money to spend doesnt = sustained success look at benitez

do u realise the amount of teams fergusons has made in that time

he has built his own legacy

and his most succesful one was built on the basis of players he bought through from youth level

also do u realise the standard of the man united team he took over jim leighton, ralph milne, etc

man united were a mid table team who enjoyed cup runs in the 80's

the expectations of the club were a hundred times lower

yes u cant compare yesterdays standards to today which is why saying man like benitez would easily surpass him given the same circumstances is stupid

nd ferguson won the uefa cup with Aberdeen , yh Aberdeen

anyway whichever way u look at it overall SAF>>Mourhinio/Wenger

Mourinho however has the potential to surpass ferguson though, hes still relatively young

• Upvote 3

indeed Mourinho hasn't built a legacy, but is he a better manager than Wenger? certainly

You say what Wenger has achieved at Arsenal is remarkable which is true but considering how long he's been at the club and how deep rooted his power is there you'd think he should have had more trophies. Lets not fool ourselves, in football two things count the most to the fans, Goals and Trophies.

What Mourinho achieved within short spells in football terms at porto ( 3 seasons with 4+trophies), Chelsea (3 seasons with 6+trophies) and Inter (2 seasons with 4+trophies) is extraordinary in every sense.

SAF >>>>>>>> mourinho >>>>>>>

Bollocks

:/

Ferguson isn't judged by the same standards as modern coaches, it's alright looking at the performance of Man Utd over the past 20 years and saying look at what he's won etc but take in to account the money he's had at his disposal, the number of years he went without winning a trophy at the start and you can't compare him to Mourinho imo.

Man Utd fans are hilarious because they're the first to point the finger at managers such as Benitez and Wenger for not winning the league for how many years but seem to forget (or not know) that it took Ferguson 7 years to win his first league title. The money in the bank that Ferguson has to cover himself in bad patches was earned in an era with less pressure and much more leniency, modern coaches aren't given anywhere near as much time to put together a long term plan and as a result are expected to produce results pretty much instantly.

If Wenger, Benitez or Mourinho we're given 7 years to build a league winning side with the equivalent cash Ferguson was given and in charge for 24 years I'm certain they'd surpass him with considerable ease.

Ferguson has been very successful domestically but he himself has said that 2 European cups isn't enough or the amount of time he's been there.

To sum up like MK said you can't just use trophies and stats, you need to put them in context.

lol at that post

having money to spend doesnt = sustained success look at benitez

do u realise the amount of teams fergusons has made in that time

he has built his own legacy

and his most succesful one was built on the basis of players he bought through from youth level

also do u realise the standard of the man united team he took over jim leighton, ralph milne, etc

man united were a mid table team who enjoyed cup runs in the 80's

the expectations of the club were a hundred times lower

yes u cant compare yesterdays standards to today which is why saying man like benitez would easily surpass him given the same circumstances is stupid

nd ferguson won the uefa cup with Aberdeen , yh Aberdeen

anyway whichever way u look at it overall SAF>>Mourhinio/Wenger

Mourinho however has the potential to surpass ferguson though, hes still relatively young

You're lost. Comparing Benitez and Ferguson in terms of spending is so ridiculous I don't even know where to start. Did you start watching football in 06? Ferguson has been spending p for years, how many times has he broke transfer records? He inherited a team that was underachieving and was given plenty of cash for new faces.

Yes he built a successful team compromised of youth players but it again goes back to the point you can't expect any modern manager to achieve that because they're not going to be given 7 years to transform a mid table team into a league winning one and bring through some decent youth players. Mourinho was being questioned by his board after he went 1 year without winning it despite winning it twice before in the space of 3 years.

/

I don't know why i even respond to your posts cos you always manage to miss the point.

This from my first post covers it.

The money in the bank that Ferguson has to cover himself in bad patches was earned in an era with less pressure and much more leniency, modern coaches aren't given anywhere near as much time to put together a long term plan and as a result are expected to produce results pretty much instantly.

• Downvote 1

Concerning Mourinho @ Chelsea, don't get me wrong, again it's speculation, but I believe had Ranieri been given one more season Chelsea would have won the league that year anyway. He has no business being compared with Wenger and Fergie, we'll be here all season long.

Them man could have gone to other clubs already established, add a couple players and with their tactics collected trophies, sit here and tell me Mourinho can stay at one club 10 plus years and continue his run of trophies.

As I said, lol @ comparing those man saying who's better. How soon everyone forgets when Fergie changed his mind about retiring then went 3 trophyless seasons and every United fan wanted him out.

• Downvote 2

Guest Portuguese

If you want to be successful(winning trophies) Mourinho is your man.

Chelsea over fifty years zero titles( Mourinho arrives they win two)

Inter over fourty years zero European Cup (Mourinho arrives they win)

You have to remember this when all three were managing teams in their native countries

Ferguson won the cup winners cup with Aberdeen

Wenger took Monaco to the cup winners cup final(In typical Wenger fashion he lost the final)

Mourinho won back to back Uefa Cup/European Champions League with Porto.

I am really starting to believe Football wasn't watched before 2004 how can you say Mourinho hasn't rebuild a team before he did so with Porto

he had to steal the likes of Paulo Ferriera,Derlei,Nuno Valente and pick up the likes of Manchie in B teams of other clubs.

• Downvote 1

Guest Portuguese

You right you cannot compare Mourinho with Ferguson/Wenger.

Ferguson has actually been successful over a long period of time but both have the same european trophies haul.

Wenger is in his comfort zone so you cannot compare him to someone who is prepared to work under pressure to win trophies.

I respect Wenger for his coaching philsophy and principles(attractive football he preaches) but as a tactician he is meh

• Downvote 1

Guest Awesome Kong

Mourinho only proved to be a short term guy who crams everything together gets success and leaves before he has to rebuild the team

When he stops running around Europe and settles down somewhere for 5-7 years then we can get enough data to compare him to Wenger and Fergie

• Downvote 1

• 7 months later...
Guest Portuguese

Preseason schedule:

11/07 Pre Season starts

11/07 Leave for Los Ángeles

17/07 Los Ángeles Galaxy-Real Madrid (Los Ángeles, EE UU)

21/07 Chivas de Guadalajara-Real Madrid (San Diego, EE UU)

24/07 Philadelphia Union-Real Madrid (Filadelfia, EE UU)

24/07 Return to Madrid

27/07 Hertha Berlín-Real Madrid (Berlín, Alemania)

30/07 Leicester-Real Madrid (Leicester, Inglaterra)

30/07 Leave for China

03/08 Guangzhou Evergrande-Real Madrid (Guangzhou, China)

06/08 Tianjin Teda-Real Madrid (Tianjin, China)

06/08 Return to Madrid

14/08 Supercopa de España, Partido de Ida (Madrid)

17/08 Supercopa de España, Partido de Vuelta (Barcelona)

24/08 Real Madrid-Galatasaray (Trofeo Santiago Bernabéu)

Squad traveling to Los Angeles, California:

Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas, Antonio Adán, Tomás Mejías, Jesús Fernández

Defenders: Raúl Albiol, Álvaro Arbeloa, Ricardo Carvalho, Jorge Casado, Fábio Coentrão, Nacho Fernández, Marcelo, Pepe, Sergio Ramos, Raphaël Varane

Midfielders: Xabi Alonso, Esteban Granero, Kaká, Sami Khedira, Mesut Özil, Nuri Şahin

Forwards: Karim Benzema, José Callejón, Joselu, Jesé Rodríguez, Ronaldo

Not travelling:

Gonzalo Higuaín, Ángel Di María, Fernando Gago (Copa America)

Lassana Diarra (personal reasons)

Sergio Canales (U20 World Cup)

Hamit Altintop (injured)

Royston Drenthe, Pedro León (manager's decision)

• Downvote 13

30/07 Leicester-Real Madrid (Leicester, Inglaterra)

anyone looking to reach?