The Summer Transfer Thread

MANCHESTER UNITED last night stole a march in the battle for Alexis Sanchez when David Gill flew to Spain to seal the deal.And the Old Trafford chief executive hopes to wrap up a £27million transfer for football's most wanted man within the next few days.If Gill pulls off the audacious swoop - pipping Manchester City, Barcelona and a host of other European giants - it will take manager Alex Ferguson's summer spending to an amazing £82m.Gill met Udinese president Gino Pozzo yesterday - ironically in Barcelona, where the Italian supremo lives - to thrash out an agreement.It will come as a crushing blow to City. They believed their massive financial clout had swayed the Chilean winger, 22.But agent Fernando Felicevich said: "An agreement with City? Sanchez's future is still very much wide open."We are working on it and, after meetings with City, we have other new appointments."The 19-time champions are increasingly confident of getting their man, even though £27m is about £4m more than they had originally hoped to pay.But they have had to up the offer to beat off Barca and City.Ferguson has already captured England winger Ashley Young from Aston Villa, Blackburn defender Phil Jones and Atletico Madrid goalkeeper David de Gea for a combined £55m.City sources insisted they are still in the hunt for Sanchez, who shone for Chile at last year's World Cup.Yet the crucial factor in United's favour is that the player himself far prefers the idea of a move to Old Trafford than a switch to Eastlands.Barca are also close to signing Kiko Femenia from Hercules. And they will now concentrate on trying to take Villarreal's former United striker Giuseppe Rossi and Arsenal midfielder Cesc Fabregas to the Nou Camp instead.Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3637951/Man-Utd-swoop-for-27m-Sanchez.html#ixzz1PJVhU5cd

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Alan Shearer has confirmed he will not be the new manager of Cardiff, revealing talks were "unsuccessful".Former Newcastle boss Shearer held talks with Cardiff about replacing Dave Jones at the Championship club.However, despite being impressed by the club's ambition he revealed he will not be taking over at the Welsh club.The former England captain said in a statement: "I can confirm that I was one of the candidates that the club spoke to about the vacant manager's position at Cardiff City."During these talks I was most impressed with the vision, ambition and determination of the owner Dato Chan Tien Ghee and the board.Unsuccessful"Unfortunately those talks were unsuccessful on this occasion."Cardiff City is a great club and I wish them every success next season."Shearer's only previous managerial role was his ill-fated spell in charge of Newcastle at the tail-end of the 2008-09 season, where he won just one of his eight games in charge as the Magpies were relegated from the Premier League.Former West Brom coach Roberto di Matteo, ex-Newcastle boss Chris Hughton and Watford manager Malky Mackay are also among those to be linked with the role.

Guest Klitschko

'It's a shame Nolan has left, a great captain, footballer, trainer, and most of all friend - Me, Jose and Tiote next'Something along those lines.

Arsenal have announced the sale of Cesc to Barcelona for the fee of £25 million
Woah is this true?!?
has heard that Arsenal will finalise their first signing of the Summer on Friday. Eden welcome to Arsenal (you didn't hear it here)
Both from the Arsenal Magazine ....https://twitter.com/#!/ArsenalMagazine