The OXLADE Appreciation Thread

CarltonLeach

“I think it is more down to Jenkinson because [Francis] Coquelin has never been at ease as a right back,” Wenger told Arsenal Player. “He is not somebody who likes to play at right back and his confidence is not high there.

“We have Jenkinson and we have Koscielny who has been educated as a right back. Djourou can play there too. Koscielny was always a right back, so he can play there.

“Even Santos can play there I think so we have plenty of possibilities.”

wenger need to shut up at times, defence is shit, but hes talking about changing player roles

Arsène Wenger will not rush Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain into Premier League action.

The young winger has caught the eye since his summer move from Southampton, scoring on both his starts against Shrewsbury and Olympiacos.

But while some supporters may be itching to see the 18-year-old in league action soon, Wenger believes patience is required.

“He is ahead of schedule,” the Frenchman told Arsenal Player. “Overall I think he has to add some ingredients to his game that will be absolutely necessary at the top but he has the basic talent - nobody can dispute that.

“I am very happy for bringing him here. But of course now we want from him the commitment and the urgency that is requested in the Premier League.

“One second of lacking attention defensively can cost you a game. That has changed in the modern game and that is why he is ahead of schedule. I think in the next few months he can add that to his game.”

Comparisons have already been made between Oxlade-Chamberlain and Theo Walcott. But Wenger played down the pair’s similarities ahead of the Carling Cup victory over Shrewsbury, noting that the former may eventually suit a central midfield position.

For now though Wenger wants him to master his wide role despite showing his goal-scoring credentials with last week's hat-trick for England Under-21s.

“Let's not be too quick,” he said. “I think he has a fantastic quality of crosses. He can cross it, chip it and personally I don't think he is ready at all yet to play in a central position in the Premier League.

“Let's get him there first on the flank and get him to adjust to this position.”

Arsène Wenger believes it would be unwise to rule out Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain for a late run into England’s Euro 2012 squad.

The young winger has been sounded out as a possible ‘wildcard’ pick for the tournament in Ukraine and Poland next summer after a blistering start to life with Stuart Pearce’s Under-21s – including a hat-trick in the latest international break.

Capello has admitted that the 18-year-old is likely to be a part of his plans in the forthcoming international friendlies and Wenger thinks a place in Poland and Ukraine next summer is possible.

“I don't rule him out,” said the Arsenal manager. “That depends on his progress here. Again sometimes you are a bit too quick in England for that.

“But you cannot rule him out because he has the basic talent. In the next five, six months we will see how he adjusts to the physical intensity of the game.

“Today you cannot expect too many players to be unknown because every single big game is watched by everybody.”

Theo Walcott made headlines when he was selected for Sven-Goran Eriksson’s 2006 World Cup squad as a 17-year-old. But Wenger believes comparisons between him and Oxlade-Chamberlain are wide of the mark.

"It's difficult to say because they are different types of player,” the Frenchman said. “Theo Walcott went at 17 years of age to the World Cup and Oxlade-Chamberlain is already 18 now. They are at different stages.

“I believe that Oxlade-Chamberlain is more in the build-up of a game and Walcott has more of a striker’s mind. They are different types of players, both gifted.

“Slowly England is getting players out of the youth system that have the quality to play at a very interesting level.”

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has shown he has the talent to play at the top level. Now he must prove he has the mentality to do it.

That's the verdict of Arsène Wenger, who has seen his summer signing exceed expectations in his first months at Emirates Stadium.

Oxlade-Chamberlain has scored on both of his first-team starts - against Shrewsbury and Olympiacos - and bagged a hat-trick for England Under-21s during the recent international break.

The 18-year-old is very much flavour of the month and has been linked with a call-up to Fabio Capello's squad for Euro 2012. Wenger believes he is ready to make the step up but wants his new recruit to be given time.

"We are more than six months before the tournament, we are now in October. Let's see where he stands in March and let's be open-minded," said the Frenchman.

"Let's not judge a guy who plays one or two games and say he has absolutely to go to the European Championship. Let's give him six or seven months. If in March, he has made a big step forward, why not?

"The mentality kicks in now [for Oxlade-Chamberlain]. That will decide his career. I am positive about it because he can deal with the pressure. How much will he demand of himself? That will make his career."

Oxlade-Chamberlain is older than Theo Walcott was when he was a shock inclusion in England's 2006 World Cup squad. Wenger believes the latter deserves credit for the way he handled the attention.

“Let’s say on the football front he was not completely ready [in 2006]," said the manager. "But I think psychologically he dealt with the whole situation really well. He never behaved like ‘look who I am’. He always remained humble.

"He didn’t go to the last World Cup when maybe he should have gone and overall he is at the normal development. He was born in 1989 so he is 22 years old and he already has a lot of experience. And he is at the level where people have not usually started an international career.

"But you [the media] are too much demanding. I think he progresses well. I think that he will make big steps in the next few months.”

Exactly, man came here at 15/16, not on a great deal of money or with a huge team to do everything for him, so he had no choice but to learn English...

I'm sure when them weights landed on him in the gym he was glad he learnt the word help as well.

Altho I'm sure in Poland that English is taught as a second language anyway. Cos when I been Poland they had no problems, well maybe with the real older ones but I aint sure if that was an ignornace ting.

Lol enjoyed that. Good to see The OX is very competitive. Chesney speaks English better then I thought.

because of some ping pong joke game

for the cameras you have deduced that chamberlain is very competitive

:/

/

but c/s sczezny good english

that's the point

the game had little importance yet his salt levels started to exceed the daily recommended intake every time he lost a point.

• Upvote 1

Well at the time experience and leadership was seemingly missing from a team with real quality, provided by the likes of Nasri and cesc

Now we have more experience but less quality at least till UNTILL Wilshere comes back

So right now the Ox looks like a breathe of fresh air

But still allow the high horse

Wenger the professor himself, has openly admitted he is surprised how well the Ox has progressed

Honestly don't think Lansbury is as good as most people. In fact I would go as far as saying that he will never be a regular first team player for us.

Lansbury has the potential to be as good as Gerrard.

You're gassed but I echo the sentiment that he is has the potential to be a very, very good attacking midfield player.

• Downvote 1

• 3 weeks later...