The International Football Thread

Admin.

And i've seen Coutinho play through balls that Oscar couldn't dream of.

Coutinho didn't control the game against Arsenal, but he put in a performance easily as good as anything Oscar has done in England, easily.

For me when it comes to natural talent, Coutinho is the closest Brazilian to Neymar, you can just immediately tell that he spent his footballing education in Brazil, Oscar is a brilliant young player as well, probably more 'mature' than Coutinho is, but he doesn't amaze me with his talent in the way Coutinho sometimes does. 

Playing centrally Coutinho has added another dimension to his game, Brendan seemed unsure if he could include him as a central player in a midfield three for fear of him not being able to impose himself physically.

His last few performances have made it more than clear that he can, he's been amongst our top 3 tacklers against Arsenal (2nd), Fulham (1st) and Everton (1st) and he's winning the ball further up the field which gives him the chance to hurt opponents when they're not so settled into their shape. Scolari has probably got the same worry that Brendan has but he's proving that he can do it with and without the ball.

I reckon we'll see quite a lot more complete performances from him in this role before the season ends.

• Upvote 2

I think Oscar is better but not by much. They are both great players . Lets see how Coutinho does reckon he will have a few MOTM performances before the season ends 

Coutinho needs to improve on his finishing and score 10-15

I think Oscar is better as well at the moment, but i see Coutinhos upside to be more.

People want to talk about 'overselling' but  at 17 he was genuinely seen as the biggest Brazilian talent after Neymar. Its took him longer than Oscar who wasn't as highly rated as a youngster to put it together, but i feel once he will become a better player because for me he has more natural talent.

Playing centrally Coutinho has added another dimension to his game, Brendan seemed unsure if he could include him as a central player in a midfield three for fear of him not being able to impose himself physically.

His last few performances have made it more than clear that he can, he's been amongst our top 3 tacklers against Arsenal (2nd), Fulham (1st) and Everton (1st) and he's winning the ball further up the field which gives him the chance to hurt opponents when they're not so settled into their shape. Scolari has probably got the same worry that Brendan has but he's proving that he can do it with and without the ball.

I reckon we'll see quite a lot more complete performances from him in this role before the season ends.

I never expected him to start playing like that as a CM, i always reckoned his future would be as a number 10.

Just to add my 2 penny's Oscar has been trash for a hot min.

As you were.

he suffering from burnout?

still, even at his worst he isnt a liability which says a lot

• 2 months later...

Brazil squad announced today

I thought the depth of talent was bad in 2010

:(

The 50 players called up by Scolari since 2013:

Goalkeepers: Diego Cavalieri, Jefferson, Julio Cesar and Victor.

Central defenders: David Luiz, Dante, Dede, Dória, Henrique, Marquinhos, Miranda, Réver, Thiago Silva.

Right backs: Daniel Alves, Jean, Maicon, Marcos Rochas, Rafinha.

Left backs: Adriano, André Santos, Filipe Luis, Maxwell, Marcelo.

Defensive midfielders: Arouca, Fernando, Fernandinho, Hernanes, Lucas Leiva, Luiz Gustavo, Paulinho, Ramires, Ralf.

Attacking midfielders: Bernard, Jadson, Kaka, Leandro, Lucas, Oscar, Willian.

Forwards: Alexandre Pato, Diego Costa, Fred, Hulk, Jô, Leandro Damião, Luis Fabiano, Neymar, Osvaldo, Robinho, Ronaldinho.

Goalkeepers: Júlio César (Toronto FC), Jéfferson (Botafogo), Victor (Grêmio)

Defenders: Daniel Alves (Barcelona), Maicon (Internazionale), Marcelo (Real Madrid), Maxwell (Paris Saint-Germain), David Luiz (Chelsea), Thiago Silva (Paris Saint-Germain), Dante (Bayern Munich), Henrique (Napoli)

Midfielders: Luiz Gustavo (Wolfsburg), Paulinho (Tottenham), Ramires (Chelsea), Fernandinho (Manchester City), Oscar (Chelsea), Willian (Chelsea), Hernanes (Internazionale), Bernard (Shakhtar Donetsk)

Forwards: Fred (Fluminense), Neymar (Barcelona), Hulk (Zenit St Petersburg), Jô (Atlético Mineiro)

didnt make it, replaced with some work horses.

thats the most european brazil ever, hardly any flair :(