Week 35 - 13/14 Premier League & Champions League Semis

User

That was awful, fell asleep for 20mins of the 2nd half

I have seen these shittas a bit not a whole lot but is this the team everyone is ranting and raving about :/

Simeone with them younger Moysey tactics there

What you mean?

They've tried to play, hard when you're up against 3 DMs

yeah their opposition was defending in numbers but where is the pizzazz and the clutch performers?

90mins they were crossing the ball like that aint terry and cahills bread and butter

Younger moyes

I have seen these shittas a bit not a whole lot but is this the team everyone is ranting and raving about :/

What you mean?

Atletico aren't a great team to watch, especially when the opposition are defensively organised and don't allow themselves to be rope a doped. 

I reckon this result is pretty dangerous for Chelsea as at the Bridge they're much more likely to play into Atletico's hands by taking the initiative.

• Upvote 1

What you mean?

yeah their opposition was defending in numbers but where is the pizzazz and the clutch performers?

90mins they were crossing the ball like that aint terry and cahills bread and butter

Younger moyes

44 – No team has attempted more crosses in a UCL game without scoring than Atletico Madrid vs Chelsea. Insistence.

What you mean?

Younger moyes

44 – No team has attempted more crosses in a UCL game without scoring than Atletico Madrid vs Chelsea. Insistence.

LOL i rest my case

yoshie is immune to shit football. Fam i have a low tolerance

/

Atleast when these football hipsters jumped on these bandwagons seville,dortmund,lyon,barca etc atleast they balled. These man was coming with them rochdale tactics AT home all these hispters need to go back to supporting Dortmund or suttin

Mourinho moans whenever teams set out negatively against him, yet he always has his megamillion teams employing those same pussyhole tactics whenever they play anyone good in Europe, and everyone always sucks his d*ck over it

and ITV selling this whole "underdog" angle all evening....fuck off

• Upvote 4

I said they were the spanish chels

Obviously they havent got the money chelsea has but these man didnt capitalise on their home advantage. Chelsea wasnt even a threat Atleti could have had 8 man in the chelsea half and ramires + Torres still wouldnt be able to break

Along with the fact that they never tried test Schwarzer with shots instead kept crossing some aimless crosses Terry and dem deal with all day

Regardless hope they win the tie but I cant see it

Obviously they havent got the money chelsea has but these man didnt capitalise on their home advantage. Chelsea wasnt even a threat Atleti could have had 8 man in the chelsea half and ramires + Torres still wouldnt be able to break

Along with the fact that they never tried test Schwarzer with shots instead kept crossing some aimless crosses Terry and dem deal with all day

What would you be happy with in the CL next season?

And how would you compare your best starting 11 and manager to the other top teams in Europe?

And how would you compare your best starting 11 and manager to the other top teams in Europe?

i didnt understand ur first question. Do u mean how far can we go in the comp? Probz 1/4 finals. I fancy us against most Spanish,Italian teams

our best starting 11 is as good as/can beat(over 2 legs) Atletico,Dortmund,Napoli,Juventus etc. they wouldnt be able to handle our pace and directness along with the Anfield atmosphere. Teams crumble in european nights at anfield

I've been asking myself all season how Brendan would approach the CL because the approach he's employed for the latter part of this season has been tailored to the Prem with the emphasis on scoring a shit load of goals but I actually think he's a much more conservative manager at heart.

His time at Swansea and everything he said when he first came to us would suggest that he really values control of the ball but due to a number of factors ( failed signings, the personnel he had left and injuries ) he discovered our squad is better suited to relinquishing some control to best utilise our attacking prowess so he fully embraced it and tweaked it here and there.

Due to the number of goals we've conceded it's easy to come to the conclusion that we're poor defensively but when you factor in whom we've conceded our goals against it looks more complicated than that.

For example of the current top 10 we've played  the following at Anfield and conceded a total of 4 goals (4 clean sheets) . 

Everton, Arsenal, Man City, Tottenham, Southampton, Man Utd, Stoke

On the other hand of the bottom 10 we've played the following and conceded 11 goals (2 clean sheets).

Sunderland, Hull, WBA,  Fulham, Palace, West Ham, Cardiff, Norwich, Villa, Swansea

My thinking is that we'll be much tighter defensively in the CL than most people think, in the games against the dross of the league it's been noticeable that our approach appears to be something along the lines of "we're better than these and we can outscore them, let's go out, play and if we concede don't worry about it - we'll kill them off eventually."

Whereas against the better teams there has been more emphasis on neutralising them whilst simultaneously playing on the front foot by being cuter tactically. On top of that it's easy to forget at this point that we started this season with four straight 1-0 wins playing in a fashion that reminded me of how we used to play in European aways under Rafa so Brendan is much more than a modern day Kevin Keegan.

In terms of how I think we'll line up it's difficult to say because I think it will vary on a game by game basis but I do think there will be more emphasis on keeping possession  which i expect will mean Lucas and Allen playing a lot of the games with either Coutinho, Sterling or Sturridge being sacrificed.

How we played against West Ham a few weeks ago after Lucas' introduction at half time is very similar to how I think we'll approach a lot of games in the CL, Brendan decided that we were going to be much more patient, control possession and probe until one of their players switched off rather than play at a frantic pace.

Gerrard playing at the base of our midfield was a perfect response to the way teams begun to press us high up the field with the belief that we couldn't beat the press. His passing range with runners like Sturridge & Suarez plus Sterling and Coutinho in between the lines made teams think twice about pressing high purely because of his ability to execute out balls to beat the press which have proved to be devastating.

In the CL I'd expect a lot of teams to be prepared to stand off us for longer periods so it poses different questions to which I'm sure Brendan will provide suitable answers rather than approaching it with the approach we've seen in the league. He obviously doesn't have the experience of managing in the CL but his approach to learning the game and developing his philosophy has been based on looking further afield than England so I'm sure he'll surprise quite a few people and have us very competitive.

• Upvote 1