Daniel Sturridge World Class?

Guest freestacks

41 members have voted

1. 1. Is daniel sturridge world class

• Yes
    • No

3HUNNA should have got subbed

As the #10 Pirlo's the man he should have been closing down and just look how far away he is whenever Pirlo is on the ball. At times the #9's that day, Welbeck and then Carroll did a better job. This is what unfortunately Sturridge is gonna have to do as well as leading the line until Hodgson stops this foolishness.

/

Lol @ Zamora

If that's all he could do then it ain't enough at this level.

Remember the Rooney run against France Euro 2004 when he won the penalty?

The Owen run and goal against Argentina WC 98?

Both created out of nothing and both at the time younger than Welbeck was at the last Euro's.

As a forward you need to be able to make your own opportunities or make something happen.

All I saw Welbeck do that tourny was keep coming short for the ball, he offered no threat in behind.

This is a guy who supposedly has pace, regardless of what the manager is saying look to mix it up.

England should have took the more experienced Bobby Zamora which I was screaming at the time, he'd of been a better target.

Welbeck was substituted against Italy because even Roy Hodgson knew you might get a bit of magic from Rooney that you just won't get from Welbeck.

that's where our opinions differ

give me player who makes the team play better than one who'll maybe at one point or another do something special while the rest of the time costing you possession and killing any attempt at build-up play

imo it dont matter where the goals come from if your team is playing well

you mentioned two of Englands best talents (at their peak) and then bought in Zamora against and ageing and creeky Canavaro in the UEFA Cup

Fulham played a super rigid 4-4-2 and aimed to hit teams on the counter with Zamora playing the games of his life at that point

but what's to say his form would have translated to a bigger stage? it hasn't happened for so many other bigger and better players for England

at the same time to utilize his skillset you'd have to play the same way Fulham did and England didn't and couldn't (against Italy) pull it off

that Fulham side had players in interviews talking about how the team shape and tactics were drilled into their minds day after day

Hodgson tried the same at Liverpool and with better players it werent working like that

same would go for England considering Ronney's attitude and the lack of time to instill the sort of belief that system requires to work

would you suggest that the England national team build themselves around Zamora?

cause if not, maybe Zamora would have been more of a goal threat but what's to say he wouldn't have killed any intricate moves Gerrard and co wanted to build with him

your team is at its most vulnerable when you've just lost the ball and guys like Zamora at that level :lol: they'd be losing the ball for fun as Caroll showed

it's hard for people to appreciate what you prevent because they never get to see it happen

but then again we got to see it against Italy

if you think an unfit Rooney - who wasnt doing his job on or off the ball - was kept on for footballing reasons I'll quote this

More important, however, was the freedom Andrea Pirlo enjoyed. At times England’s shape was good, bringing both strikers back into the midfield zone, remaining compact and getting both Danny Welbeck and Wayne Rooney goalside of Pirlo. When Welbeck was in a position to close down the Juventus midfielder, he generally did his job excellently.

Rooney was much sloppier, and after half an hour when Pirlo’s dominance had become clear, Joe Hart was clearly heard shouting at Rooney to pick him up. Hodgson clearly wanted Rooney to do this, because for much of the game Rooney could be seen half-heartedly jogging towards Pirlo. It was reminiscent of the 2011 Champions League final, where he started off marking Sergio Busquets, before gradually leaving Manchester United outnumbered in midfield.

It’s odd that Rooney’s tactical indiscipline has become such a problem – only a few years ago his willingness to sacrifice his own attacking game for the good of the team was reagrded as one of his main qualities. England could have done with someone like Rooney’s club teammate, Park Ji-Sung, who did a superb job on Pirlo in 2009/10 – Urby Emanuelson did something similar for Milan earlier this year. Leaving Pirlo free was suicidal, and he completed over 30 more passes than any other player.

Welbeck has areas he needs to work on and if he did improve in the way you suggest he'd be a more complete player

I rate him for what he is right now though and he's under-appreciated for what he offers

Fulham played a super rigid 4-4-2 and aimed to hit teams on the counter with Zamora playing the games of his life at that point

but what's to say his form would have translated to a bigger stage? it hasn't happened for so many other bigger and better players for England

at the same time to utilize his skillset you'd have to play the same way Fulham did and England didn't and couldn't (against Italy) pull it off

that Fulham side had players in interviews talking about how the team shape and tactics were drilled into their minds day after day

Hodgson tried the same at Liverpool and with better players it werent working like that

You never know if someone's form will translate on to a bigger stage, this is football, you can play it all day on paper but rarely is it ever as black and white as that irl.

I'm just saying considering where Zamora was in his career, his European experience, long range shot, his physical presence and threat in the air, I woulda banked on him as opposed to a very young, inexperienced, slender Welbeck at the time.

Zamora's intelligence as a footballer was severely underrated imo aswell but we will never know now, I think part of Hodgson's failure at Liverpool is down to the fact he never had somebody who could do what Zamora did so brilliantly.

But I've noticed a bit of a change in your opinions last few months, you sound like you are getting into coaching Zizouz?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You never know if someone's form will translate on to a bigger stage, this is football, you can play it all day on paper but rarely is it ever as black and white as that irl.

I'm just saying considering where Zamora was in his career, his European experience, long range shot, his physical presence and threat in the air, I woulda banked on him as opposed to a very young, inexperienced, slender Welbeck at the time.

Zamora's intelligence as a footballer was severely underrated imo aswell but we will never know now, I think part of Hodgson's failure at Liverpool is down to the fact he never had somebody who could do what Zamora did so brilliantly.

But I've noticed a bit of a change in your opinions last few months, you sound like you are getting into coaching Zizouz?

I can respect that point of view but replace Welbeck with an unfit and on the international stage unproven Rooney cause Welbeck deserved his chance just as much as anyone else and in my opinion he showed a lot of potential

that and being as slender as he was he wasn't bullied of the ball far from it he contributed and with both power and technique when the ball came to him he made it stick he wouldn't lose it giving his team a base to build off of

now at that point he's done his part largely and needs the rest of his team to step up with him or his manager to be braver in his instructions and allow them to

/

I aint that serious about football :lol: for a couple months I was watching near 5-6 hours of football per day cause I was betting so much

that and I haven't been watching most big games live was watching whole match replays online, that gave me a chance to rewind when I see something and take note - it's why I was so critical of Rodgers instructions to the FBs/WBs and Allen (although I've softened on my negative opinion of him) after the City game at the Etihad

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...