Week 38 - 16/17 Premier League Finale

User

No the last captain getting the armband, a new contract and untouchable status was an indication of United's fall

/

Ander is a good lad and I wouldn't be mad if he was our captain but anyway it doesn't matter because...

Ander Herrera has insisted the Manchester United captain should be English after calls for the midfielder to be named skipper.

Unsackable: Arsenal tell Wenger his job is safe even if they suffer FA Cup humiliation

United fans pleaded with Jose Mourinho to make the combative Spaniard club captain as Herrera has blossomed under Jose Mourinho.

Herrera has been the stand out player for United in huge games against Chelsea and Liverpool this season and played a major part in the surprise win over the Premier League leaders.

Supporters believe Herrera could be perfect captain material, but the 27-year-old has played down the chances of him being named skipper next season.

‘The thing is that Michael Carrick ends his contract and I do not know what will happen with his future,’ Herrera told Onda Cero.

‘Rooney, it’s unknown if he will continue or not.

‘It has been a surprise. I am very grateful that people value me like this but I don’t think it is something that is going to happen soon.

‘Being captain of Manchester United are big words. Look at the captains that this club have had.

‘I am flattered and grateful but it is necessary to respect the time and the number of games.

‘Furthermore, as at Madrid and Barcelona the captains are Spanish, it’s also logical that there is an English captain.

‘I am grateful that people see me like that but I’d rather not think about it much.’