The Official Manchester United Thread

Young £

Fletcher said: “It can be a quick turnaround.

“Back then, the manager saw the potential that was there, believed it could happen and stuck with us.

“He believed in us and the more games we got, the more experience we got.

“It soon took us through to winning leagues and doing really well in the Champions League.

We got to the semi-finals in 2007, then won it the following year and were in the final again in 2009 and 2011.

“That was after not making it out of the group stages one year. It just shows that people can write teams off too early.

“We’ve been in a position before where we’ve not won the league and been written off.

“As soon as it doesn’t happen for one or two seasons, words like ‘crisis’ and ‘disaster’ start being put around and people are saying that all the players need to go.

“But that is just people’s mentalities.” Fletcher reckons Moyes’ predecessor Fergie saw the rewards of backing his players in times of trouble.

“You’ve got to believe that you can come good and Sir Alex Ferguson trusted the players at that time,” he added.

“He saw them in training every day, saw the qualities they had, saw their performances in games and just had to get that from them on a consistent basis.

“You can look to times like that and realise just because you’re going through a bad spell, it doesn’t make you bad players.

“We’ve got to get a little bit of confidence back in our game, a little self-belief and that’s about experienced players who have been there and done it coming together with the younger ones.

“Then, all of a sudden, you come back as a team and show what you are about."

However, the club have insisted that the 28-year-old has yet to sign a contract extension, which was reportedly worth £70m until summer 2018.

"There is no deal, which is why we haven't announced it," a United spokesman said.

Negotiations, which have been taking place for some time now, are believed to be still continuing.

Rooney has been linked with an exit ever since the end of last season, when former manager Sir Alex Ferguson said he had made a transfer request, and Chelsea

were reported to be interested in a swoop for his services.

United's dip in form - they are seventh in the Premier League table, 11 points off the top four - appeared to be another cause for concern regarding Rooney's future, but the opening of talks several weeks ago appear to have allayed fears of him leaving.

Journalist Charlie Wyett, who wrote the Sun's Rooney story, explained more to Sky Sports' Sunday Supplement.

"We are saying that he has not just agreed, but he has actually signed," Wyett told the programme. "Obviously that has yet to be announced for Manchester United.

"I think he realises it is the best place for him still. I know others thought he might go to Chelsea or elsewhere, but I think (David) Moyes has had a series of meetings with him and convinced him to stay.

“I did have talks with United and there was a buy back clause.

“They had a chat with my dad but I wanted to play for Cardiff.”

Mats Daeli

lol

smh

Not really surprising. He's got more chance if playing at Cardiff.

However it does highlight the ever decreasing effectiveness of the youth system.

When a Manager from Everton comes to United and is dismayed by the lack of quality in the Scouting and youth set ups, either he has delusions of grandeur (something that most people would say is the complete opposite if the truth) or we have serious problems, probably due to the previous manager taking his eye of the long term goals and aims when he decided he was going to leave soon.

How Manchester United's new manager David Moyes worked his way to the top

A few weeks ago he rang David Moyes to discuss a coaching seminar on which they were collaborating. Moyes was at Amsterdam airport, about to catch a flight home after a brief scouting trip. The previous day, his Everton side had been playing at White Hart Lane.

Fleeting asked him: “Do you ever have a day off, David?” “No, Jim,” came the reply. “You can’t have a day off. Not in this game.”

All managers need a strong work ethic. But talk to those who know Moyes, and you realise that Manchester United have inherited a manager whose dedication to his craft is not just impressive, but positively frightening.

“It was this single, dogged bloody-mindedness,” says Colin Murdock, who played under Moyes at Preston North End, having begun his career at United. “I can recall him saying to players: ‘I know where I’m going. I’m going to the top. Are you prepared to go along with me?”

Perhaps it was the realisation that he would never be a world-class player that forced Moyes to devote himself to coaching. He started taking his badges at the age of 22, at the SFA coaching centre in Largs, where Jose Mourinho, Arrigo Sacchi and Fabio Capello also learned their trade.

“The people who ran it in my day were Andy Roxburgh and Craig Brown,” says Alex McLeish, another Largs graduate. “They were meticulous in their preparation, and these are traits that Davey has got in abundance.” Indeed, Phil Neville has claimed that at Everton, every morning before training, Moyes personally checks every single football to make sure it is the correct pressure. But while Moyes may be painstakingly meticulous in his own work, he likes to communicate ideas as simply as possible.

He prefers visual solutions - training ground drills and video scouting - to lengthy dossiers. “He understood that some players might not understand him talking,” says Kevin Gallacher, one of Moyes’ signings for Preston, “so he put it into pictures and on the field.”

A Moyes training session is often brutal in its simplicity. Sessions are undertaken at as close to match-pace as possible, with the pitch divided into squares as a visual aid to positioning. Another exercise sees three small goals placed across the width of the pitch to encourage his team to switch play to the opposite flank as quickly as possible.

Sometimes a new idea will be tried. In September, Moyes’ academy chief Alan Irvine saw Juventus striker Fabio Quagliarella scoring at Stamford Bridge after a perfectly-timed blindside run. The pair decided to recreate the drill in training, with Nikica Jelavic making the diagonal run in between the centre-backs. Just over a week later, Jelavic scored against Southampton with exactly that run.

Tactically, Moyes is a pragmatist. Carlo Ancelotti rated him as the hardest manager to prepare against during his time at Chelsea: astute, flexible and adaptable to circumstances.

“There was no doubt that to beat a David Moyes team you had to be on your top-notch level,” said McLeish, who faced him as both Birmingham and Aston Villa manager. “If he was organised, it was difficult to penetrate. His teams always created chances.”

Is there such a thing as the ‘Moyes shape’? “I don’t think it really takes a lot of working out,” says McLeish. “The banks of four is a very well-organised structure. But you’ve got wide men - Steven Pienaar and Apostolos Vellios - not necessarily playing as out-and-out wingers, but coming in and linking with the forwards, playing in between the lines and getting into spaces. It’s actually very positive football, but at the same time he makes sure that they’re very difficult to beat.”

Moyes drills his defence and midfield by playing 9 v 11 practice matches at full intensity, improving positional sense, teamwork and stamina. “He was brought up in an era where your back four was like a piece of string,” says Gallacher. “That piece of string can’t be broken.”

It is not just his tactics that are rigidly disciplined. “I remember my first trip down to Gillingham before I signed,” Gallacher says. “Gillingham battered them 5-0. I just stood outside the dressing room after the game and you could hear everything he said. Talk about the hairdryer treatment. He had a right go at the lads, but they responded.”

“I’ve seen when he’s been livid and raging, but when you need a bit of support, you can have a conversation with him,” adds Murdock. “If you go to a club like United, it’s such an international dressing room. It’s impossible to treat people the same way. If someone needs an arm around the shoulder, if someone needs the cattle prod, Moyesy will be pretty good at giving both.”

Having begun his career under Ferguson, Murdock believes Moyes is a natural successor. “He understands the whole social fabric, the history of the club and the people who support it,” he says. “He’s one of the few managers I’ve worked under who involved players’ families in the success of the team.

“Even his wife would get involved, organising social events. That was important, because players move around, and wives can feel a little bit alienated. Moyes was very focused on keeping everybody involved.”

What remains to be seen is whether he has the ego, the personal magnetism, to sell his vision to United’s galaxy of world-class stars. Fleeting, for one, is convinced.

“Show me a coach that’s not got an ego,” he said. “I don’t believe there’s one. It’s just how you use it. David is a very humble guy and within that, yeah, he’s got an ego. And now he’s made it.”

so he partly  got the job because hes a family man and gets the wives involved 

unthinkable that the so called 'biggest club inthe world' should employ a manager thats won things but no the criteria that fits the bill is a manager that gets the wags to integrate at social events

Manchester United were going to sell Davide Petrucci to Romanian side CFR Cluj for €1 million but the deal collapsed as Cluj were only willing to pay €500,000, according to Gianluca Di Marzio (who is usually very reliable with transfer news, especially on Italians).

The 22-year-old gave an interview to United only this week about how he had not given up his dream of making it into the first team, so it will come as a bit of a hammer blow for him that the club tried and failed to sell him.

Petrucci has had worse luck than most when it comes to injuries. Had he not sustained such career threatening injuries, there is every chance Petrucci could already be playing for United’s first team but his progress has been halted by them.

United are starting a new era under Moyes and if he doesn’t feel that Petrucci is going to be a part of it and isn’t willing to give him a chance, then letting him leave is best for the club and player as he is still young enough to forge a career elsewhere.

:/

At least give man a chance before you kick him out and then try to sign him in a few years.

Manchester United were going to sell Davide Petrucci to Romanian side CFR Cluj for €1 million but the deal collapsed as Cluj were only willing to pay €500,000, according to Gianluca Di Marzio (who is usually very reliable with transfer news, especially on Italians).

The 22-year-old gave an interview to United only this week about how he had not given up his dream of making it into the first team, so it will come as a bit of a hammer blow for him that the club tried and failed to sell him.

Petrucci has had worse luck than most when it comes to injuries. Had he not sustained such career threatening injuries, there is every chance Petrucci could already be playing for United’s first team but his progress has been halted by them.

United are starting a new era under Moyes and if he doesn’t feel that Petrucci is going to be a part of it and isn’t willing to give him a chance, then letting him leave is best for the club and player as he is still young enough to forge a career elsewhere.

:/

At least give man a chance before you kick him out and then try to sign him in a few years.

ah ffs man