Official Job Vacancies Thread

zeezee

Anyone here work in or know about consultancy?

From what I've heard and researched of it it seems quite interesting but I haven't really seen/heard anyone's views on it from the inside. Didn't even know about the job until I started going through jobseeker sites.

I work in consultancy, its very broad and its not a job title as such so i think you may have been mislead a bit. It's mainly giving advice and setting up systems/procedures so clients can run their operations more effectively/intelligently in the long run, or providing support for a one off project that the client may be carrying out but doesnt have the in house expertise/resource to deliver. It's mainly full of bullshit merchants tbh and its a bit snaky as everything is driven by earning fees and doing what the client perceives to be a good job, even though in reality what the client wants and what is actually best practice are two different things. However as long as you keep the fees rolling in and the client smiling everyone is happy.

yeah i didn't think it was a single job (bad phrasing on my behalf), i just wanted to know about the sector

do you like the job?

from my perspective, i've just come out of a computer science degree and really am not keen on programming/tech/etc so want some sort of job where i can apply my problem solving skills and the idea of working for a consultancy firm with being able to work on different projects/clients in different sectors sounds attractive to me

yeah i didn't think it was a single job (bad phrasing on my behalf), i just wanted to know about the sector

do you like the job?

from my perspective, i've just come out of a computer science degree and really am not keen on programming/tech/etc so want some sort of job where i can apply my problem solving skills and the idea of working for a consultancy firm with being able to work on different projects/clients in different sectors sounds attractive to me

I'm not particularly passionate about much bar football and money and i dont like being an employee either so my viewpoint is probably a bit skewed. It's an alright job, a lot of variety as you never know what you can be working on next or who you're going to be working with/for (this is both good and bad), strong emphasis on "networking" as well both internally and externally, sometimes I enjoy it, other times I'm like id rather be sat at home with a chinese but it does help. The amount of times I've been stuck and been able to pick up the phone to someone and be like have you got a template for this, how much should this cost, my project is about to finish have you got anything interesting coming up i can jump on etc etc. is invaluable. If you're the kinda guy who likes to plug in your headphones and be an excel jockey or just sit there programming its probably not for you, because along with the technical side of what you're doing you do actually need to talk to people a lot and communicate. It's a proper hand holding job. It's literally like I'm about to do this are you ok with that? I'm about to do that. I'm this far through, here's the latest draft any comments. I find it frustrating because I just like to get on with things and finish them, hate chasing confirmation from people, especially when they're so busy themselves that you literally have to track them down and stand in front of them half the time. On the plus side though, expenses for trips and things are good and theres always a few good corporate events. Last week I went to the Olympic Park on a corp ticket, sit down meal, behind the scenes tour etc etc and then watched an evening session and even though the people i was with were dead it was still a good experience.

• Upvote 2

4 days door supervisor training

4 days x ray machine rapid scan training

like 3 tests for the door supervisor ting and one for the x ray.

i done it cause i been working with the olympics. still got the paralympics to go then hopefully i can use it to get some more decent employment.

imo the training received was fairly basic for the DS. textbook type acronyms to remember sh*t and a couple ways of holding/restraining.