hold on... DIZZY RASCAL ON NEWSNIGHT

Seymour Cake

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He doesn't proclaim to be a wordsmith or politician.He made his point and answered the questions.
exactlymans being himself whats the point in pretending to be something he aint if he was to go on any different someone here would say he is being fake.let the boy be.he is a grime mc/rapper at no stage should such an artist act any other way than what he is.
nah man f*ck that this is about more than artistic integrity, staying true to yourself whatever.this is about realizing the gravity of a situation and acting accordingin the advent of a black man proving to a white world that his colour is not a barometer of the success dizee should've known to come correct on national tv. so what he is a grime mc/rapper ? what you tryna say grime mcs/rappers cant be articulate?i've heard boy in the corner, and whilst i wouldn't call it a razor sharp political/social-narrative or anything like that i know dizzee could've done a much better job representing himself as well as "urban london". and besides all that he looks tony black'd out.
And he wasnt just representing himself as a Grime MC, sadly. He just confirmed what people think of urban youth."Im 'ere man woss good" LMAO. It was BBC2, Dizz, not BBC 1Xtra

Nah 'cause there representation by media is much higher, therefore, you get a wider spectrum of reps.She reps a much smaller, more specific demographic of dizzy blonde working class slags who go out raving and smoking, but now have money and spend most of their time falling out of clubs all for the paps

Facebook is getting oh so powerful…America’s new president Barack Obama used it as an influential tool in his election battle. This message is being sent around on FB & obviously finally reached me. I actually watched Diz on the programme & spoke to a friend straight after who studies politics at uni & she was absolutely furious with his interview!!My thought is this, Dizzee is a mad talented platinum selling artist but in a time of change, TV channels should be way more responsible & carefully choose who represents our community, in order to build a relationship of trust. That was a perfect time to give the young people of Britain a voice regardless of colour & I personally feel Dizzee didn’t do us justice & further fuelled negative stereotypes of young inner city people, especially black people.I‘m super flattered for the acknowledgement too…“This message is in regards to the 9pm programming on BBC 2.Hip Hop artist Dizzee Rascal, was commissioned to be one of the spokes persons in the discussion regarding President Obama.It made no logical sense to ask the opinion of a UK Hip Hop artist, Dizzee Rascal, for his opinion as he had no influence or anything worthy to contribute to the discussion.Having watched the various other news channels discussing this momentous occasion, I have to say this was the most ridiculous and disappointing viewing I had experienced.Other political programmes, who asked for the opinions of well known figures outside the realm of politics, showed positive black figures such as Oprah winfrey and Sean Carter (Jay Z).Why is it that our British broadcasting channel always seems to let us down when it comes to selecting black representatives? The election of Obama signifies a positive movement towards change and should inspire all people. However this inspirational feeling was abruptly ended and normality resumed, by this terrible segment in your BBC programme.I am a minority in this country who pays taxes, and more importantly a Television License which pays for the BBC programming.Why is it that Britain’s minorities are always depicted in this negative light, making our positive achievements seem somewhat belittled.The BBC creates a false impression of what we are. They promote one side of the spectrum, which is usually the negative side.By showing this negative imagery consistently it breeds this ‘negative’ stereotype that you promote to our impressionable youth. This is called Self-Fulfilling prophecy, a theory of Sociologist, Robert K. Merton.There were many intelligent black people from the UK which would have represented us correctly, but due to the negative images that the BBC so regularly promotes it was fitting for them to pick a RAPPER, to speak on one of the most momentous occasions for black people in the 21st century.Wouldn’t Lewis Hamilton, who is the first person of ethnicity to win the grand prix, or UK artist Bashy had been more appropriate?This messaged will be sent too thousands of your ‘undervalued’ Black/Minority customers. We are seriously tired of your negative imagery which we have had too endure for far too long.This is not a message to be taken as a threat, more as promise that we as a people ‘will’ boycott the BBC if we do not see or hear of any steps towards change in respect to our viewing.”Taken from Facebook.
From Bashy's blog

Facebook is getting oh so powerful…America’s new president Barack Obama used it as an influential tool in his election battle. This message is being sent around on FB & obviously finally reached me. I actually watched Diz on the programme & spoke to a friend straight after who studies politics at uni & she was absolutely furious with his interview!!My thought is this, Dizzee is a mad talented platinum selling artist but in a time of change, TV channels should be way more responsible & carefully choose who represents our community, in order to build a relationship of trust. That was a perfect time to give the young people of Britain a voice regardless of colour & I personally feel Dizzee didn’t do us justice & further fuelled negative stereotypes of young inner city people, especially black people.I‘m super flattered for the acknowledgement too…“This message is in regards to the 9pm programming on BBC 2.Hip Hop artist Dizzee Rascal, was commissioned to be one of the spokes persons in the discussion regarding President Obama.It made no logical sense to ask the opinion of a UK Hip Hop artist, Dizzee Rascal, for his opinion as he had no influence or anything worthy to contribute to the discussion.Having watched the various other news channels discussing this momentous occasion, I have to say this was the most ridiculous and disappointing viewing I had experienced.Other political programmes, who asked for the opinions of well known figures outside the realm of politics, showed positive black figures such as Oprah winfrey and Sean Carter (Jay Z).Why is it that our British broadcasting channel always seems to let us down when it comes to selecting black representatives? The election of Obama signifies a positive movement towards change and should inspire all people. However this inspirational feeling was abruptly ended and normality resumed, by this terrible segment in your BBC programme.I am a minority in this country who pays taxes, and more importantly a Television License which pays for the BBC programming.Why is it that Britain’s minorities are always depicted in this negative light, making our positive achievements seem somewhat belittled.The BBC creates a false impression of what we are. They promote one side of the spectrum, which is usually the negative side.By showing this negative imagery consistently it breeds this ‘negative’ stereotype that you promote to our impressionable youth. This is called Self-Fulfilling prophecy, a theory of Sociologist, Robert K. Merton.There were many intelligent black people from the UK which would have represented us correctly, but due to the negative images that the BBC so regularly promotes it was fitting for them to pick a RAPPER, to speak on one of the most momentous occasions for black people in the 21st century.Wouldn’t Lewis Hamilton, who is the first person of ethnicity to win the grand prix, or UK artist Bashy had been more appropriate?This messaged will be sent too thousands of your ‘undervalued’ Black/Minority customers. We are seriously tired of your negative imagery which we have had too endure for far too long.This is not a message to be taken as a threat, more as promise that we as a people ‘will’ boycott the BBC if we do not see or hear of any steps towards change in respect to our viewing.”Taken from Facebook.
From Bashy's blog
I am more mad at Dizzee than the BBC though. He fell for the bait nicely.

He doesn't proclaim to be a wordsmith or politician.He made his point and answered the questions.
exactlymans being himself whats the point in pretending to be something he aint if he was to go on any different someone here would say he is being fake.let the boy be.he is a grime mc/rapper at no stage should such an artist act any other way than what he is.
nah man f*ck that this is about more than artistic integrity, staying true to yourself whatever.this is about realizing the gravity of a situation and acting accordingin the advent of a black man proving to a white world that his colour is not a barometer of the success dizee should've known to come correct on national tv. so what he is a grime mc/rapper ? what you tryna say grime mcs/rappers cant be articulate?i've heard boy in the corner, and whilst i wouldn't call it a razor sharp political/social-narrative or anything like that i know dizzee could've done a much better job representing himself as well as "urban london". and besides all that he looks tony black'd out.
thats the key word fam thats why thats his business

From Bashy's blog
it's not like dizzee got set up, he agreed to go on the program. he also weren't the only person they interviewed, and why the f*ck would they ask Lewis Hamilton? Like he's gonna bother with a program like newsnight. they wanted to ask someone who represented the black, urban population of the country and they asked they best known. Yeah he could've been more expressive and cohesive but it's his own fault for not having rehearsed his answers enough beforehand - that aint the bbc's fault.

I actually agree with Bashy's blog and I also think that there is a big gap between UK lyricists and American lyricists..Sure we got our own thing going on over here but that's why we are not being taken seriously here and in America. The Americans are way ahead of us in music because they spit at a profound level, whereas over here, we are quite simplistic and spit about the most random and stupidest of things.Anyways, I am going to start a trend..Look out for my upcoming album 'Politricks'.

as funny as it sounds, is dizze not the most successful british rapper around right now? sales and coverage wise (legal sales not ur 6trillion mixtape sales by __________) if so, he was not out of place. and rather than use 70 seconds of airtime to try and complain about the many ills of british politics concerning minorities which would probably be reduced to 40 seconds with paxman there, which in the end will only be seen as stupid ranting by most of the people watching, he chose to be positive about the future, AND at the same time he highlighted the fact that obama embraced Hiphop. i dont know what bashy or the rest of u are expecting he should've done, perhaps say "britain doesnt like black people" like kanye? theres a time and a platform for everything. a 2min slot on newsnight isnt one of them for such major issues to be discussed. imo

I don't see a problem with the whole thing, I found it funny. The only thing I had a problem with was Paxman asking Dizzee "Do you see yourself as British" or words to that effect. Why on earth is he asking him if he feels British? Because I'm sure if it was a white artist on the programme he wouldn't have asked them the same thing. Imagine Will Young expressing an opinion on it and being asked if he feels bloody British.(I haven't read the thread so I don't know if that's been said already)

It’s great that Obama got in, but remember it is politics. He has a lot to prove, and hopefully the same people that voted for him will stay with him throughout the good and the bad times. I just hope the youth that voted for him and the artists that backed him don’t get played like a lot of UK artists did when they backed Blair years ago.Jeremy Paxman: Do you consider yourself to be British?Dizzee Rascal: Course im British, wot…….you know me.What is the correct answer for this? should he have kissed Jeremy’s arse? please someone let me know. Dizz held it down in this interview, you ask a sarcastic question, you get a sarcastic answer, the Political game is a bigger circus than the music industry. Dizzee was sincere, accurate, unfazed by the Political process, and entertaining, which is why they put him on at primetime TV. As for the other woman, she was just burnt she didn’t get as much airtime.All this talk about Dizzee didn’t represent Black folk properly?????, or Why didn’t they get a Black Poltician?????? WTF There was a Black Politician on the screen next to him!!!! You didn’t pay attention to that? That says it all, why are you moaning? Doesn’t this make you the biggest hypocrite?Yes Obama is mixed race, yes Hip-Hop did get Obama the youth vote, yes one man cannot make a difference it takes the masses, yes anyone of us could run for Prime Minister, I’ve always said that. If your willing to lie, backstab, cheat, go to war, and you work hard……YOU could be Prime Minister.So I don’t get why people are mad at what he said…..is it because he wasn’t kissing arse, or because he said it with swagger, please let me know. Politicians are no better than any other MC, except they know how to sell themselves better within 60 secs because that is all they get. Politicians use their airtime to sell themselves or their party. As for Black Politicians in the UK……..that arguement doesn’t make sense to me. I haven’t heard any Politician Black or White take a stand for the real issues that affect the streets of the UK inner cities, who is speaking out on knife crime, gun crime, or Education issues? that arguement is irrelevant. If more people took an interest in building their communities rather than forming facebook hate groups on their lunch break against the few people that are actually making serious moves, maybe the UK would be in a better place.
Semtex Blog

LOL @ guys like Semtex and Bashy writing PUBLIC blogs about their lives.The way I see it is this, Dizzee was the WRONG person to ask about black prime ministerial hopes in the BIGGER picture, but the RIGHT man for now. There were CLEARLY a number of more viable suitable alternatives. But people forget...in Britain we have to get MORE black people interested in the first place, and at the stage we're at, this isn't going to be achieved by interviewing Adam Afriye, David Lammy, or even the likes of Bim Afolemi and other black Oxford graduates.

It’s great that Obama got in, but remember it is politics. He has a lot to prove, and hopefully the same people that voted for him will stay with him throughout the good and the bad times. I just hope the youth that voted for him and the artists that backed him don’t get played like a lot of UK artists did when they backed Blair years ago.Jeremy Paxman: Do you consider yourself to be British?Dizzee Rascal: Course im British, wot…….you know me.What is the correct answer for this? should he have kissed Jeremy’s arse? please someone let me know. Dizz held it down in this interview, you ask a sarcastic question, you get a sarcastic answer, the Political game is a bigger circus than the music industry. Dizzee was sincere, accurate, unfazed by the Political process, and entertaining, which is why they put him on at primetime TV. As for the other woman, she was just burnt she didn’t get as much airtime.All this talk about Dizzee didn’t represent Black folk properly?????, or Why didn’t they get a Black Poltician?????? WTF There was a Black Politician on the screen next to him!!!! You didn’t pay attention to that? That says it all, why are you moaning? Doesn’t this make you the biggest hypocrite?Yes Obama is mixed race, yes Hip-Hop did get Obama the youth vote, yes one man cannot make a difference it takes the masses, yes anyone of us could run for Prime Minister, I’ve always said that. If your willing to lie, backstab, cheat, go to war, and you work hard……YOU could be Prime Minister.So I don’t get why people are mad at what he said…..is it because he wasn’t kissing arse, or because he said it with swagger, please let me know. Politicians are no better than any other MC, except they know how to sell themselves better within 60 secs because that is all they get. Politicians use their airtime to sell themselves or their party. As for Black Politicians in the UK……..that arguement doesn’t make sense to me. I haven’t heard any Politician Black or White take a stand for the real issues that affect the streets of the UK inner cities, who is speaking out on knife crime, gun crime, or Education issues? that arguement is irrelevant. If more people took an interest in building their communities rather than forming facebook hate groups on their lunch break against the few people that are actually making serious moves, maybe the UK would be in a better place.
Semtex Blog
Well it wasnt going to be from a neutral perspective, and although Semtex is right with Dizzee didnt say anything wrong, it was the fact that he "said it with swagger" (bullshit, what swagger?). He came across childish, immature and out of his depth. Like they say, its not what you say but how you say it. You can be the smartest guy with thoughts but lack the delivery a people wont take notice.How many times have you heard Rappers called boring based on delivery but shown lyrics or heard a cover and thought "Rahh, I didnt realise the lyrics were that good". Even look at the current PM Gordon, people always say "Ah he's just an accountant", so that was the porblem, the "swagger" and arm waving like mans barring. Man took NewsNight for BET Cypher