Ryo Miyaichi to join Arsenal in January

gemma

I need to watch his game more to critique his Premier League adaptaion play, didnt like his defending on the post against Chelsea, but most people still had good reports about him.

He was exeptional covering Paul Robinson.

Looked a right mature head on those shoulders - Brian Ivanovich knows that his strengths was also going forward whilst Miyaichi's defensive attributes were questionable but he never found an inch of space down the right flank even when over lapping Paul Robinson.

Impressive team work from Miyaichi and that defensive play never took it out of his legs from an attacking perspective.

I agree that he was piss poor on the corners - looked like he was too eager to break forward leaving his defensive duties but he more than made up for them errors with his display over 90 minutes - nevertheless it's a minor concern that won't take long to iron out.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

“Ryo will be like a new signing when he regains full fitness,” the Wigan boss added. “Probably a couple of weeks ago I thought he would be out for a long period, but we have had very good news from the doctor and he will be back in contention within a fortnight. The consultant in Japan examined him, and next week’s FA Cup tie will hopefully be the start of his season."

Japanese starlet Ryo Miyaichi hopes to banish his injury nightmare and help Wigan Athletic stay in the Premier League.

Arsenal loanee Miyaichi has played just six times since arriving at the DW Stadium in the summer and has been out of action since suffering an ankle injury in November.

The 20-year-old midfielder is targeting a return to playing against Reading on February 23 however, and wants to showcase his talents to the Latics’ fans.

“I want to be able to help the team in achieving safety in the Premier League and it will be great to show the supporters what I can do once I am back,” he told the club’s website.

“I’ve been out for a long time so I’ve missed a lot of games so I need to show the fans how I can play and hopefully they will be happy to see me.

“It is important now for us to win as many games as possible because we are desperate to stay in the Premier League.”

Miyaichi burst onto the scene when he was loaned to Feyenoord shortly after signing for Arsenal in 2011.

He earned the man-of-the-match award on his debut and went on to score three goals and set up five in his 12 games in the Netherlands.

His Wigan spell has been hampered by injury however after a groin injury on international duty in October and an ankle injury after his return against Liverpool the following month.

Miyaichi, who has also played on loan at Bolton Wanderers, admitted the injuries have been frustrating but believes he has learned from his time on the treatment table.

“It will be big relief to get back because it has been quite a tough time to be sat on the sidelines,” he said.

Ryo Miyaichi hopes to return soon

Wigan Athletic's on-loan winger Ryo Miyaichi has targeted a return within "a few weeks" having been out of action with injury since November. 

Miyaichi could return for the Reading fixture on February 23 and admits that it would be a "big relief" to return to action. 

"The injury has been getting better but I will have to wait a few weeks yet, I'm doing well though," he told the club's official website. 

"It will be big relief to get back because it has been quite a tough time to be sat on the sidelines." 

Miyaichi has played just four games for Wigan this season.

Ryo Miyaichi relieved to be near return

Wigan's on-loan Arsenal winger Ryo Miyaichi is looking to make his first-team return in the Premier League clash at Reading a week on Saturday after three months out with an ankle injury.

Japan international Miyaichi, who joined on a season-long loan from Arsenal last summer, last played for the Latics in their 3-0 away defeat to Liverpool on November 17 - a game in which he was making his comeback from a groin complaint.

"It will be a big relief to get back because it has been quite a tough time to be sat on the sidelines," the 20-year-old told wiganlatics.co.uk.

"I had a groin injury at first when I was with the national team last year.

"That injury put me out for a few months and then I came back in the game against Liverpool at Anfield and after that game I picked up an ankle injury which has made things frustrating.

"I trained after that game and it made my ankle worse but I can learn many things from this injury."

With 12 matches to go, Wigan are second-bottom of the Premier League, two points behind 18th-placed Reading and three adrift of 17th-placed Aston Villa.

Miyaichi is eager to boost the Latics' survival bid, adding: "It is important now for us to win as many games as possible because we are desperate to stay in the Premier League.

"I want to be able to help the team in achieving safety in the Premier League and it will be great to show the supporters what I can do once I am back."

From what I have seen, hes got Theo's pace and can put a decent cross.

He is more of a winger who is not afraid to drive forward and try beat a man.

Seems quite weak though needs to toughen up and his decision making isnt the greatest. 

Lots of technical ability

Hes chances of making it are very slim imo, hope he does though 

Still remember back in 2006 Arsenal Mania forums dons were saying the likes of Gibbs and Coq won't make it. 

Coq won't, he's struggling to break through and this team is spending in the next 4 windows. IMO Coquelin and Frimpong the same as Vela, when Arshavin was a starter and playing so poor and Vela couldn't get a start ahead of him. I knew Wenger didn't trust him. Wenger don't really trust either of them. Which makes me think they won't make it.

Gibbs, will struggle with Monreal arrival, but at least Wenger trust the player, albeit if he don't trust his prone to injury.

• 3 weeks later...

he was proper bitching up on the sidelines, telling the physio he cant continue and dat

looked really good though, funny he is exactly the type of player u need on the wings football wise

but then looks the exact type of player u man have already mentally, a little bit of fight, not up for the war, would rather not get tackled etc etc

Martinez concerned about nasty Miyaichi injury

Wigan manager Roberto Martinez has expressed his concern about the seriousness of the injury picked up by Ryo Myiachi in their 3-0 FA Cup win against Everton on Saturday.

The Japanese winger had just returned from a lengthy spell on sidelines, but was taken off on a stretcher after a tackle by Everton’s Kevin Mirallas.

Martinez praised the hard work of the youngster and hoped it wouldn’t mean an end to his season.

“Ryo picked up a very nasty knock and we’ll again look at that in depth over the next 24 hours,” he said. “It was desperately unlucky for him and the boy doesn’t deserve that for the professionalism and hard work he puts in every day. ”

“But we’ll pay close attention to him and ensure he is given every opportunity to make an impact before then end of the season.”

Obviously the injuries have affected his chances to develop as a player and suggests it might take another loan spell for him to convince Arsene Wenger he’s ready for Arsenal.

Good luck to him in his recovery.

Tis a shame 

Ryo Miyaichi to miss rest of Wigan season, says Roberto Martinez

Wigan manager Roberto Mancini expects on-loan Arsenal winger Ryo Miyaichi to miss the rest of the season with the ankle injury he picked up inSaturday's FA Cup win at Everton.

The 20-year-old was a first-half substitute at Goodison but was carried off on a stretcher after 72 minutes.

Martinez is awaiting the results of a scan on the Japan international.

Miyaichi joined the Latics on a season-long loan from the Gunners last summer but has made just seven appearances.

He also had a spell on the sidelines from November 2012 to March 2013 after picking up a groin injury while on international duty.

Wigan are 18th in the Premier League and face either Blackburn or Millwall in the FA Cup semi-final at Wembley.