Villa managerial topic - Page 8 for 2012 edition

TF S4DK

Ron Saunders won the league and left the side that won the European Cup before moving onto Small Heaf and relegating them. Maybe that is this in reverse?

Seriously though, this is his chance. 'You just don't turn down Aston Villa' was his quote on being questioned if he's fully thought this through.

The fixtures are out, are first 8 games are pretty good. He gets a decent away day first - win that and he'll turn up at Villa Park with breathing space.

He won't get away with playing what he did down their, he'll know that.

If he brings Dann with him most will be happy... If he finally gets his hands on N'Zogbia we'll be even happier.

I'm a Villa supporter, that's not gonna change. I said I back the board and I trust Randy so it'd be hypocritical to change my stance on one decision - Randy's earnt this decision so let's hope it comes through.

I still think it'll be a car crash mind. Good luck Alex.

• Upvote 1

So now Randy has officially done the dirty deed, whats McLeish's minimum requirements for the next season JJ?

League position is dependant on circumstance so it's hard to state, I'd be disappointed if we finished lower than 7th though.

Decent home form (christ we haven't had a laugh at Villa park for a prolonged period in seasons) and to show some respect to the Cups.

Villa fans wer going mad on sky sports this week lol

Is McLeish that bad thoe?

Think he wil do a decent job at Villa, but their fans are getting carried away, they aint a big club they're a selling club, havent dun anything for ages

Barry Fry said if they wuda gone down ahead of Brum if they didnt get Bent lol

• Upvote 1

Villa fans wer going mad on sky sports this week lol

Is McLeish that bad thoe?

Think he wil do a decent job at Villa, but their fans are getting carried away, they aint a big club they're a selling club, havent dun anything for ages

Barry Fry said if they wuda gone down ahead of Brum if they didnt get Bent lol

Preach

Guest M12 Part 2

The selling club thing is defo true. Guys are saying they only signed bent for 20 mill because they knew they'd recoup it on young and downing in the summer. The owners just want a mid table team that produces guys they can sell to the top 4 at a profit. Deciding on a mid table manager like mcleish as opposed to the names being touted like rijkaard, Ancelotti, Hughes etc. Just shows they didn't want to answer to a manager who actually had ambitions to spend money and break into the top 4.

• Upvote 1

The selling club thing is defo true. Guys are saying they only signed bent for 20 mill because they knew they'd recoup it on young and downing in the summer. The owners just want a mid table team that produces guys they can sell to the top 4 at a profit. Deciding on a mid table manager like mcleish as opposed to the names being touted like rijkaard, Ancelotti, Hughes etc. Just shows they didn't want to answer to a manager who actually had ambitions to spend money and break into the top 4.

You don't know what you're talking about. He's invested over £200m with no return as of yet. If he's genuinely in it solely for the money then getting into the Champions League is the only way to do that.

His thinking (rightly or wrongly) is to take a step-back and have a long term statergy of developing our own, younger players together to try and have a crack at it... After spending £150m on the best young English players about didn't work.

Like say he's intending on making his money back plodding along in 9th and selling the likes of Downing and Ashley for £6-8m profit every year.

• 10 months later...

AlexMcLeish2.jpg

Alex McLeish is locked in talks with Aston Villa, amid claims he could be set to lose his job with the Premier League side.

Sky Sports understands that McLeish is meeting with Villa's hierarchy - owner Randy Lerner and chief executive Paul Faulkner.

And local sources are claiming that McLeish's tenure, which began in controversial circumstances last summer, will be brought to an end.

The Birmingham Mail goes as far as to say they expect the Scot to be relieved of his job on Monday

McLeish was appointed manager of Villa, succeeding Gerard Houllier, just weeks after he had quit as boss of their local rivals Birmingham City - who had just been relegated.

His appointment was met with anger by some sections of the Villa fan-base and he has never been able to win them over.

McLeish has also been unable to get the best out of Villa, as they only escaped relegation by two points in finishing a lowly 16th.

so whos favourite for the job

Randy Learner still seems to be one of the better owners, however him coming in with no real long term strategy was a school boy error. If he manages to

Get one in place then provides the cash to sustain it.......

Disclaimer- I am in no way an advocate or supporter of whoring of some of our biggest clubs and national institutions to random blokes from all over the world, I'm merely telling it as it is and Learner hasn't been terrible this far, time will be the ultimate judge though.