Racism In Football

Admin.

They couldn't resist the Go Ape addition.

I'm not entirely surprised cos he is from an old school era but still disappointing as he was 1 of my heroes growing up.

To his defense I seen the adoration he has when speaking about John Barnes, says every interview he was the best he's ever played with.

He probably doesn't see what he is doing as racist or offensive but I hope his character will allow himself to listen to the allegations seriously and improve as a person.

He needs to change the culture there though, I don't think man dob you in for a 1 off remark tbh he must be quite a nasty person in general to work under.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Toney Barton said:

I'm not entirely surprised cos he is from an old school era but still disappointing as he was 1 of my heroes growing up.

To his defense I seen the adoration he has when speaking about John Barnes, says every interview he was the best he's ever played with.

He probably doesn't see what he is doing as racist or offensive but I hope his character will allow himself to listen to the allegations seriously and improve as a person.

He needs to change the culture there though, I don't think man dob you in for a 1 off remark tbh he must be quite a nasty person in general to work under.

c/s 

/

Don' think there was anything in the Holgate thing tbh, think Firmino called him a puta and Holgate probably thought he was being racist.

8 hours ago, Toney Barton said:

Well said. Obviously it’s a stupid thing to say but it’s not Ron Atkinson level of racism. What the latter said was beyond disgusting.

Again, I’m not defending what he said but it’s so minor compared to the real racism which is intuitional, it doesn’t really warrant a whole article. Having said that, the player had every right to feel aggrieved and rightfully so.

True.

Ykno it's crazy, this is why you gotta look at people as multifacted as opposed to one type of character in regards to these things.

Ron Atkinson probably did more for black footballers in this country than anyone else, putting his livelyhood on the line to do it, he went against the institution, he wasn't the very 1st but probably the most notable.

So it's mad disappointing when somebody with his track record comes out with what he did but then you gotta ask yourself why these man do things like that?

Obviously it was ingrained in the culture they grew up in, both at home and in football.

Again, I believe they grew up in an era where they believe sticks and stones...

So they probably see it as minor thinking words can't have an effect, especially when man is on the payrole and you are feeding his family.

Probably saw Cyrille Regis go through worse and still make it etc...

Probably don't see themselves as other more overt racists who actively discriminate in the work force.

It's a realisation they have to come to though that words can have an affect, it's probably a re education they need about how to conduct themselves.

Probably need a sit down with a race relations councillor where they can mediate a discussion between both parties so the Atkinsons etc... realise the impact those statements have.

As I’ve gotten older, I’ve come to accept there’s racism that comes from ignorance and racism that comes from genuine fear/hatred.

The former to me is harmless. I’ve had old white women/men use terms that are offensive to me and others with no real malice. When I was younger, it used to piss me off but now that I’m older, I’ve learned to put things into context and understand not everything is said/done maliciously.

I’m not gonna check some 70 year old who’s using old “Love Thy Neighbour” banter because it’s pointless. But people in our age group should know better and they’ll get checked quickly if they try and slyly drop those UKIP/NF bars.

Like you said, when you have someone like Ron Atkinson who has done so much for black footballers, it’s conflicting how someone can think that’s acceptable to talk about another human being. 

There’s levels to this but as you stated, it’s not all black & white when it’s comes to how people are (pardon the pun).  

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42623021

The Football Association will interview at least one applicant from a black, Asian and minority ethnic background for future roles in the England set-up.

English football's governing body will adopt its own version of the 'Rooney Rule' implemented in the NFL in 2003.

A step in the right direction? Or will it all just be for show?