General Election 2015 (Discussion Thread)

Hipster

General Election 2015  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which Party are you going to vote for?

• Conservatives
    • Labour
    • Lib Dems
    • UKIP
    • Green Party
    • f*ck Politics

My previous constituency was a labour stronghold so didnt have to vote

Im now in one of the ones tories could lose and hope they do

Personally dont know how anyone from an immigrant background can vote for conservative let alone ukip

Dont care how it affects your pay, not about being selfish when choosing a government

• Upvote 3

Personally dont know how anyone from an immigrant background can vote for conservative 

Why not?

I don't care about other people's lives to be honest. This doesn't mean I'm selfish. I've got lots of people around me that I help in lots of ways.

But truth be told, I've got my own stuff going on and "other people" aren't going to pay for my children to go to school or pay for my bills. I am going to vote for the party whose values most accord with my own professional values, and no other party apart from the Conservatives do this. 

The Lib Dems aren't a bad shout, but they have no realistic chance of being elected.

its not just caring about other people, there's also the idea that by investing in those who can't invest in themselves, the country may do better overall

I think Labour is more on that idea in this day and age

its not just caring about other people, there's also the idea that by investing in those who can't invest in themselves, the country may do better overall

Who cannot invest in themselves in the UK? Think carefully about your answer, then show me how Labour are better at doing this. 

But at the detriment of rewarding success?

Personally dont know how anyone from an immigrant background can vote for conservative 

Why not?

I don't care about other people's lives to be honest. This doesn't mean I'm selfish. I've got lots of people around me that I help in lots of ways.

But truth be told, I've got my own stuff going on and "other people" aren't going to pay for my children to go to school or pay for my bills. I am going to vote for the party whose values most accord with my own professional values, and no other party apart from the Conservatives do this. 

The Lib Dems aren't a bad shout, but they have no realistic chance of being elected.

since you've dropped the c*nt act 

i have noticed there are a lot of view that i agree with and this post is one of them - apart from voting for the lib dems in any capacity 

Why not?

since you've dropped the c*nt act 

i have noticed there are a lot of view that i agree with and this post is one of them - apart from voting for the lib dems in any capacity 

Go and find out about the Orange Book lib dem wing, as opposed to the social democratic lib dem wing.

But at the detriment of rewarding success?

by that I'm guessing you mean the act of taxing people?

i mean tax is a necessity, but I can agree with someone who thinks tax shouldn't be higher than 40% - whether that can be a reality is another question

so investing in people who can't invest in themselves - i'll give an example of what I mean:

so while we're injecting money into banks, and giving businesses tax cuts, we're putting people into zero-hours contracts - people with crap pay and low prospects aren't going to move the economy because they're not going to have much money to spend - if the government were to invest money into people closer to the bottom, creating real jobs, so people can make a real living and have the capacity to spend money, the assumption is the money would bubble up - because money doesn't filter down

also not feeling conservatives on education, I mean with the changes to academic funding, education in certain areas is going to suffer, people will be less likely to educate themselves in certain areas due to the uncertainty of earning to cover the £40k+ debt you're going to come out with, if mainly people from rich backgrounds consider education in these areas that means not only will it suffer from an overall smaller investment, it will also lack a balance of education

its why I see UKIP's idea of free uni education pointless, they're proposing free education for precisely the people who will be confident and able to pay back uni loans anyway (science, maths, engineering)

so investing in people who can't invest in themselves - i'll give an example of what I mean:

so while we're injecting money into banks, and giving businesses tax cuts, we're putting people into zero-hours contracts - people with crap pay and low prospects aren't going to move the economy because they're not going to have much money to spend - if the government were to invest money into people closer to the bottom, creating real jobs, so people can make a real living and have the capacity to spend money, the assumption is the money would bubble up - because money doesn't filter down

1) "Giving businesses tax cuts" -  This is a sensible move so that they employ more people and have more liquidity to create more business. Most of the businesses are small businesses anyway, not the corporate monsters that you so clearly dislike (yet are probably a consumer of, like all liberal hypocrites).

2) "We're" putting people into zero hours contracts - Who is "WE"? The government is not responsible for creating jobs. The kind of jobs they create are usually sh*t anyway - idiot local council jobs with titles like "Diversity Manager" with ill-educated morons sitting on 30k salaries for the rest of their lives.

On another level, nobody forces people to take a job, ever. Nobody forces people to accept terms of contracts. If you don't think a job is right for you, don't take it. Claim JSA and keep looking elsewhere. This is the simplest response to what you say. I haven't even gone into the inaccuracies reported about zero hours contracts. Let's just say, they're a convenient tool for the left to capitalise on, but much of the reports about them are wildly exaggerated.

3) "Money doesn't filter down" - It most certainly does. The rate at which it does (compared to expectation) is certainly debatable, but saying it doesn't is, again, idiot liberal rhetoric. 

also not feeling conservatives on education, I mean with the changes to academic funding, education in certain areas is going to suffer, people will be less likely to educate themselves in certain areas due to the uncertainty of earning to cover the £40k+ debt you're going to come out with, if mainly people from rich backgrounds consider education in these areas that means not only will it suffer from an overall smaller investment, it will also lack a balance of education

its why I see UKIP's idea of free uni education pointless, they're proposing free education for precisely the people who will be confident and able to pay back uni loans anyway (science, maths, engineering)

The higher education market is not really controlled by politicians, despite what you might believe. It's controlled by rich international students paying exorbitant fees (because they can). If you can think of a better way to fund universities (which are essentially businesses) then there are MANY MANY ways in which you can draft a proposal and submit it for analysis. My guess is that you cannot, and most of your arguments are just ill-informed rants from your own personal (subjective) sense of right and wrong.
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

you say the government isn't responsible for creating jobs, yet all 3 major parties has said they'll create more apprenticeships - is that not taking responsibility?

and yeah tax cuts for small businesses may help, but there's also tax cuts for oil+gas companies - sure they can label it investment for expansion of the industry, but the opinion of some in the industry is that its just increasing profits and not being invested, hasn't there been profit increase reports by energy companies for several years despite them needing to increase rates charged to the public? you can label it preemptive action to how the Saudis are shaking up the industry but I'm sure many people are wondering why an industry that has been increasing rates and profits needs further government investment

I was at university when the cuts came in, I saw departments close and people have to move to different courses or universities. You can't say the government doesn't influence it when a direct result to their cuts caused removal of several courses, and a drop in applications with heavier hit to courses that don't fall under medicine, natural sciences and engineering.

I agree with you in that rich international students have influence, but even more so now because there are less government subsidies.

Some childish retort of "why don't you think of a better way" - I'm not a politician, economist, historian, or journalist, nor is it my job to analyse the government and figure out where money can come from. I have my opinions on what I think should have investment just as everyone else does and that is what influences my vote, like most people. 

Its in your opinion that I'm ill-informed, and trust a conservative supporter to mention a "subjective sense of right and wrong".

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

CA5CG1sWUAAoVwJ.jpg

This is pointless to the working class man. They would usually target the lowest on the food chain.

The immigrants taking all the jobs, cueing in hospitals. Emily getting a breast implant on the tax payers expense .

• 2 weeks later...