Official ViP2 Book Club

Action Dan

I don't normally read fiction, but I picked up The Book of Dave by Will Self today. He is a genius mind and I love reading what he conjures. It's about a book written by an angry/depressed, misogynistic taxi driver (Dave). It's discovered in post-disaster London hundreds of years later, after England is totally destroyed by flooding. And it's taken as a sacred text, becoming the template for society. Dave is deified; and society, language, religion, government, relationships, families are all based on his writings. The narrative jumps between present-day existence of Dave, and the future (500 years after his book is discovered). Haven't read any of it yet, but it's Will Self so I'm confident it'll be brilliant.
This is a f*ck*ng quality book. (High praise from me, I'm extremely discerning about fiction)Self is a hugely gifted writer, and he executes the farcical premise with great discipline, and buckets of wit. He's got a knack for painting the worlds which materialize from his weird and perceptive visions. Both the present & the future are depicted vividly and with such humour (it's genuinely laugh-out-loud funny in so many parts). A brilliant story, written in a funny and captivating way, all threaded upon a commentary about "revealed religion" and its inherent absurdities. Loved it and recommend it to everyone.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
I don't normally read fiction, but I picked up The Book of Dave by Will Self today. He is a genius mind and I love reading what he conjures. It's about a book written by an angry/depressed, misogynistic taxi driver (Dave). It's discovered in post-disaster London hundreds of years later, after England is totally destroyed by flooding. And it's taken as a sacred text, becoming the template for society. Dave is deified; and society, language, religion, government, relationships, families are all based on his writings. The narrative jumps between present-day existence of Dave, and the future (500 years after his book is discovered). Haven't read any of it yet, but it's Will Self so I'm confident it'll be brilliant.
This is a f*ck*ng quality book. (High praise from me, I'm extremely discerning about fiction)Self is a hugely gifted writer, and he executes the farcical premise with great discipline, and buckets of wit. He's got a knack for painting the worlds which materialize from his weird and perceptive visions. Both the present & the future are depicted vividly and with such humour (it's genuinely laugh-out-loud funny in so many parts). A brilliant story, written in a funny and captivating way, all threaded upon a commentary about "revealed religion" and its inherent absurdities. Loved it and recommend it to everyone.
My mum's got this, I started reading it, but weren't feeling it at all.