Arsenal Summer Transfer Window

MrJibbles

Ivan Gazidis is currently in the Far East promoting Arsenal’s forthcoming tour of Asia and has been speaking to Gooners in China via the club’s re-launched Chinese website.

In a Twitter-style Q&A session, the club CEO hinted, perhaps aware that speculation is mounting about the possible signing of French international Olivier Giroud, that the club would announce ‘exciting’ news on the transfer front in the near future.

“We have to take a step further and win the Premier League or win the Champions League – that’s what our goal is. We added an important player in Podolski and we will have the return of Jack Wilshere this year, which will be a big boost for the team.

“We are also talking to people in this summer’s transfer market, I think there will be something exciting for our fans to be happy about.

“We want to do business carefully. We don’t have to add many players, but we have to be very selective. The players we add must bring something to the team. That’s what Wenger is doing and he’s done a good job over the year to identify special talent. I am sure he will do it again.

Gazidis also reiterated the club’s ‘silent’ stance on the Robin van Persie contract situation, despite being quizzed again by concerned fans.

“As for Robin, we had a good discussion with him at the end of the season and we agreed that he will focus on the European Championships and we wouldn’t say anything about the discussions. We ask for our fans to be patient while Robin participates in an important tournament.”

Asked if Thierry Henry could return to the Emirates again, Gazidis made clear that the Frenchman would always be welcome in N5, while joking that his goals in the recent loan spell have meant the club have had to change all manner of stadium tributes to keep his goal record up to date.

“Thierry is a part of our football club, he came to train with the team and nobody expect he would end up playing for the team.

“We had already erected a statue for him, and all around the stadium we have records for all of his goals, and then he created some problems for us by scoring more goals. We had to go all around the stadium, and the statue, to change the number of goals he’s scored. If he comes back again to play we may have to do the whole process again!

“It’s obvious that Thierry is very connected to the club and has real love for the club. At the moment though he is still playing for the Red Bulls and doing very well.

Who knows whether he could play an important role at Arsenal in the future. So many players that leave Arsenal want to come back and that says something about the football club. Thierry always has a place in Arsenal.”

Thanks very much to @SiuFay for the link.

Arsenal set to sign Olivier Giroud for £12m from Montpellier

By David Ornstein BBC Sport

Comments (51)

Arsenal are close to completing a deal to sign Montpellier striker and France international Olivier Giroud for £12m.

The Gunners are expected to confirm the 25-year-old's arrival this week.

Manager Arsene Wenger intends to play him alongside fellow new signing Lukas Podolski and Dutch striker Robin van Persie in a front three.

Giroud's rise

Giroud was playing in French's Ligue 2 as recently as 2010, and only made his international debut last November at the age of 25.

The 6ft 3in forward, who was an unused substitute in France's 1-1 Euro 2012 draw with England, scored 21 goals in his club's run to the Ligue 1 title.

Giroud is one of only two recognised strikers in the French squad, alongside Karim Benzema. He has six caps for his country and one goal.

Earlier this week, Montpellier manager Rene Girard told French radio station RMC that Wenger was leading a chase of top sides for the striker, who was his club's record transfer two years ago when he cost them £1.7m.

"Arsenal are very interested and Giroud wants to play in England, if Arsene agrees with the president, he will sign for them," he said.

Despite speculation about the future of Van Persie, who is out of contract next summer, it is understood Arsenal want to sign Giroud to play alongside him, rather than as a replacement.

Basically bro. Where else is he going to get the wages he's on, some of the best facilities in the world, living in one of the best cities in the world?

Why the f*ck did we give him a new contract recently? Baffled.

Philippe Auclair@PhilippeAuclair

Giroud to Arsenal: as @mohamedbouhafsi and I have been saying on rmc.fr for a while now, more likely with every passing day.

Philippe Auclair@PhilippeAuclair

No deal is 'done' until the contract's signed, but I think this one should happen. We shall see.

You want me to drop more bad news on ya....

"Let me surprise you: Lukasz Fabianski could become the best goalkeeper in the Premier League, even better than Wojciech Szczesny," said Wenger.

"He has incredible skills and dynamics. His problem is psychological – he relives his every mistake or moment not playing. I was hoping that the Euro 2012 Championships might help him; his injury is a great misfortune."

Hopefully gassing to get him a move...

/

Giroud could be a replacement for the Oranje striker, or link up with him next season - but Wenger isn't letting anything slip.

"I won't say anything to you," Wenger told TF1. "Even under torture!"

TF can you confirm?

Nicklas Bendtner's agent says he is in negotiations with several clubs amid reports suggesting that Malaga are leading the chase to sign the striker.

Bendtner spent last season on loan at Sunderlandspacer.gif from Arsenalspacer.gif and is not keen on returning to the Emirates Stadium as he would not be guaranteed regular football.

His performances for Denmark at the European Championship will have made a number of clubs stand up and take notice, and agent Tom Brooks admits there are several options.

Brooks insists that no decision has yet been made about where Bendtner will be plying his trade next term, but fresh reports indicate Malagaspacer.gif could be in pole position.

Malaga are an emerging force in Spain and will play in the UEFA Champions Leaguespacer.gif when the new campaign kicks off after finishing fourth in the Primera Liga.

"We are in negotiations with several clubs," Brooks told BT.

"We are reviewing the options before we decide where his future will be."

From sky sports.com

Malaga have ££££££ dont they

Ben Arfa is a very talented player but hasn't had a consistent season in his life

I have said that, pretty much exactly word for word, to my geordie flatmate.

There is something with Newcastle fans and overrating their own players. Everyone is guilty of it, but they take it to a next level.