Racism In Football

Admin.

You seen SSN 14 year olds were racially abused by parents in a kids match

Youth team allege racist abuse

Leicester grassroots side lodge complaint over racial insults and threatening behaviour during Under 15 match

Written by Bart Chan

05/11/2012 04:35 PM

nirvana.jpg

DIVERSE TEAM: Nirvana FC's Under 15 team has allegedly suffered racial abuse

NIRVANA FOOTBALL Club (NFC) has lodged a formal complaint to the football authorities and police, alleging its Under-15 team was racially abused by opposition players and parents during a match last month.

Witnesses watching the match have claimed monkey chants and gestures were directed at the NFC players as young as 14-years-old, according to club chairman Kirk Master.

The Leicester-based team predominantly comprises minority players from the black and Asian communities.

It is alleged that on October 14, parents and spectators of Blaby and Whetstone Football Club (BWFC) used grossly offensive words as ā€œn****rā€ and ā€œmonkeyā€, while threats of physical violence were made after the game, with one spectator entering the field of play to confront NFC players.

Master told The Voice: ā€œAt this moment I am disgusted with what I have heard from those in attendance and want some immediate action taking.

ā€œThe club have held an emergency meeting to discuss the matter, as we as a club are not under any circumstances going to allow this behaviour to occur against our players, parents or any other BME person city-wide.

ā€œThe incident has been reported to Leicestershire County FA, the national FA, Kick It Out, and the police, and we also reported it to the Race Equality Council in Leicester,ā€ he added.

Master said only the county FA had acknowledged its complaint to date.

NFC, which celebrates its 30th anniversary this year, was conceived as part of an inner city youth organisation known as Red Star.

ā€œThe incident that occurred bears parallels to the events experienced by England Under 21s against Serbia, at a grassroots level,ā€ said the chairman.

ā€œUnfortunately, this is not the first incident with them and our club ā€“ and other black clubs involved in the city, but this is the pinnacle of all the activity that has gone on previously.ā€

Chief executive of Leicestershire County FA Keith Murdoch told The Voice: ā€œWe have had a complaint and we are investigating that complaint.

ā€œAs I am going to be making the decision on what action to take, it would be inappropriate to make any comment on the incident.

ā€œWe have a set of laws of the game and the conduct of what we expect, and we have specific charges that can be applied. The question would be, have any of the rules be broken, if they have been broken then I do an assessment of which one and then I would issue the charge against that,ā€ Murdoch added.

When contacted by The Voice, BWFC chairman Tony Galway acknowledged he was aware of the incident and said: "No comment."

For the full story get this week's issue of The Voice.

Had enough of racism in football? Back our campaign Enough is Enough - Get Onside. Sign the petition here

Posted on: 05/11/2012 04:35 PM

http://www.voice-onl...ge-racist-abuse

Tottenham have defended their supporters after the Society of Black Lawyers threatened to make a complaint to police over claims that anti-Semitic abuse is taking place at White Hart Lane.

Although widely recognised as an insult, some Spurs fans proudly call themselves "Yids" or "Yiddos" and chant "Yid army" at games as an act of defiance to those who discriminate against the club's large Jewish following.

Peter Herbert, who chairs the Society of Black Lawyers, believes this is not acceptable. He said: "It does not make a difference if it is Tottenham fans doing the chants or away fans ā€“ if they continue to do it we will report it to the police. There has to be zero tolerance and if that catches out Spurs then so be it."

Asked about Jewish fans themselves singing the chant, he said: "That's not acceptable either."

He said: "If neither Tottenham FC nor the FA are willing to take a stand then SBL will report the matter to the Metropolitan Police Service for investigation and, if necessary, prosecution. The report will be made if this behaviour does not cease by 20 November. We will have monitors in attendance to observe what occurs."

Spurs responded to Herbert's claims by defending their fans and pointing out that their fans have in the past been subjected to taunts about the Holocaust.

"Our position on this topic is very clear," a Tottenham statement read. "The club does not tolerate any form of racist or abusive chanting. Our guiding principle in respect of the 'Y-word' is based on the point of law itself ā€“ the distinguishing factor is the intent with which it is used ā€“ if it is used with the deliberate intention to cause offence. This has been the basis of prosecutions of fans of other teams to date.

"Our fans adopted the chant as a defence mechanism in order to own the term and thereby deflect anti-Semitic abuse. They do not use the term to others to cause any offence, they use it a chant amongst themselves.

"The club believes that real anti-Semitic abuse such as hissing to simulate the noise of gas chambers is the real evil and the real offence. We believe this is the area that requires a determined and concerted effort from all parties and where we seek greater support to eradicate."

This is what happens when pricks who know nothing about the game get involved. It will only get worse

I personally know 2 Jewish Spurs fans who have never used the word and dont like its use at all, but see why it is used. On the other hand i also know Jewish Spurs fans who use the term themselves and again have no problem with it.

And dont even start me on that f*ckin mong David Baddiel.

Because Tottenham supporters self-identify as Yids, he claims it causes anti-Semitic chants from Chelsea fans which make him, as a Jewish Chelsea fan feel very uncomfortable. However, it seems to me perverse to take action against Tottenham supporters for this when the abuse is entirely from the Chelsea bigots. Surely the problem is not with our chants but with the anti-Semites in the Chelsea end who think it's acceptable to make the sound of gas taps, and other assorted offensive chants. If it gets to the stage where Tottenham supporters are removed from grounds for using the word "Yid" to try and prevent anti-Semitic abuse coming from the Chelsea end (or Leeds, or City, or Arsenal, or West Ham etc.), then the world really has gone mad.

That Peter Herbert seems a A Grade Bellend tbh, seems to want his name in the paper everytime there is an incident now.

Tottenham fans continue controversial chanting

A section of Tottenham fans have responded to calls for them to end alleged anti-Semitic chants by singing "we sing what we want".

Peter Herbert, who chairs the Society of Black Lawyers (SBL), has said he will report chants to police if no action is taken by 20 November.

Some Spurs fans refer to themselves as the "Yid Army", a reference to the club's Jewish supporters.

Chants continued during Thursday's 3-1 Europa League win over Maribor.

Herbert said: "Why on earth do they think it is acceptable?"

The term is used in a chant by some fans at White Hart Lane and can often be seen on flags and banners at the ground.

However the SBL insisted on Wednesday this must end.

Herbert said: "If the fans wish to continue, if Tottenham wishes to continue, then we will use every means at our disposal to make sure they do get the message which many in the Jewish community have already told us is unacceptable.

"Fans are there to watch football and we are actually deeply saddened that fans are more concerned with what they chant than, in a sense, the game they are supposed to be watching."

Tottenham responded to the SBL's initial call on Wednesday by saying "real anti-Semitic abuse, such as hissing to simulate the noise of gas chambers, is the real evil and the real offence".

The club continued: "Our fans adopted the chant as a defence mechanism in order to own the term and thereby deflect anti-Semitic abuse. Our position on this topic is very clear. The club does not tolerate any form of racist or abusive chanting.

"Our guiding principle in respect of the 'Y-word' is based on the point of law itself - the distinguishing factor is the intent with which it is used, ie if it is used with the deliberate intention to cause offence. This has been the basis of prosecutions of fans of other teams to date.

"They do not use the term to others to cause any offence, they use it a chant among themselves. "

But Herbert said: "What we are doing is exposing the rather nasty underbelly of racism in British sport and this particular aspect of British sport, football, which is a complete contrast to what you had at the Olympics.

"If you had a section of the crowd at the Olympics chanting this do you think it would be tolerated?

"It would be closed down immediately, so I don't understand why something [that] would be unacceptable in August somehow becomes

plausible and acceptable because it moves up to a football ground, unless you go with the intelligence in a sense of a people who openly couldn't care less about the feelings of what they say and the impact on others."

Oldham footballer Dean Furman, who is Jewish, has told BBC Sport there should be a "zero tolerance" approach and fans using the chant should be immediately thrown out of stadiums.

But Piara Powar, executive director of the Football Against Racism in Europe organisation, said: "I think this is where Peter Herbert and the Society of Black Lawyers are naive. They perhaps don't know football."

This Herbert guy is a f*ckin clown

I understand why Spurs fans chant it, (and for the record agree with the sentiment that's see's it chanted in defiance to the racist taunts spurs fans have suffered over the years)

But, how many people does it take to be offended by something before it becomes offensive?

A few years ago I waiting for the tube at Kings cross to go carnival with my brothers and my Dad, cut a long story short this group of older guys, (about 18/19) were talking and using the N word freely almost on

A every other sentence basis, now we were down there for a while waiting for the train and after about 3 minutes of hearing this word countless times my Dad breaks of from our convo and asks these guys to stop using the word as he regardless of what Hip hop/musical culture says he doesn't go in for the whole reclaiming of the word stuff and finds it a horrible and offensive word,

These guys understanding that and being respectful didn't say it again (at least till when we were out of ear shot)

My point is, I know why Spurs fans do it, we know it's not meant to be racially offensive but if people from a particular race are offended by it does that now make it racially offensive, after all racial offense is in the ear or the "beholder" (I know that doesn't fit here but I can't think of anything else)

Disclaimer, I don't champion these publicity whores looking for their 10 minutes of fame, but even a broken clock will point you in a valid direction twice a day.

The story in my post didn't actually happen, but I used it to illustrate a point, over the years my Dad has though made it clear that the N word isn't something he tolerates regardless of the race of the person saying it and I've witnessed him calling people out on it.

To clarify for those who are unsure I am black, my Dad is also black.

MET have said they wont take any action on yid chanting

The Metropolitan Police are no longer investigating a complaint made against referee Mark Clattenburg.

The Society of Black Lawyers asked police to investigate whether there was a racially-aggravated element to the "inappropriate language" Chelsea claim Clattenburg used to John Obi Mikel during last month's game against Manchester United.

But neither Mikel nor the club have been to the police, and in the absence of any evidence the investigation is no longer active.

A statement from the Met read: "Enquires were made and no victims have come forward.

"The matter will remain as a recorded incident, but without a victim and/or any evidence that any offence has been committed, the matter cannot currently be investigated."

"Clearly if the situation changes and a victim and/or evidence to support the allegation of a crime comes to police attention then further enquiries will, if appropriate, be made."

The Football Association has been conducting interviews as part of its own investigation into the incident though Clattenburg, who denies the allegations, has not been charged with any misconduct offence.

this just screams that it never happened if chelsea / mikel didnt give there side of the story to the police.

swear if Clattenberg is found innocent chelsea should be docked points.

unless the FA can prove that they lied, and deliberately tried to deceive, it'd be very hard to take any definitive action against them due to the nature of the complaint,

the fact that it's Chelsea might make it easier though.

Well it will come down to the 4th official, if he says Clattenberg didnt say it that is good enough as Chelsea are lying, but if he says he didnt hear Clattenburg say it then they will probably get away with no action...

Mark Clattenburg: Chelsea & FA accused of cover-up

Chelsea and the Football Association have been accused of a "cover-up" for not referring alleged comments by referee Mark Clattenburg to the police.

The Metropolitan Police has dropped its investigation into a complaint that Clattenburg used "inappropriate language" towards two Chelsea players.

The complaint was made to the police by the Society of Black Lawyers.

"It sounds remarkably like a football cover-up," the society'schairman Peter Herbert told BBC Radio 5 live.<p>

Clattenburg timeline

"It sounds remarkably like the football industry wanted to have this issue swept under the carpet."

Chelsea made a formal complaint against Clattenburg on 29 October following their3-2 home defeat by Manchester United.

A day later the FA opened an investigation into the allegation, part of which was that Clattenburg used racial language.

Meanwhile, the Metropolitan Police began its own probe based on a written complaint by Herbert - not Chelsea or the FA.

It is understood Chelsea did not give evidence to the police because they felt the FA was the appropriate body to deal with the matter.

On Tuesday, the police investigation was discontinued because "no victims have come forward" and "without a victim and/or any evidence that any offence has been committed, the matter cannot currently be investigated".

The FA confirmed its investigation would proceed, but Herbert is furious that neither the governing body nor Chelsea have taken the matter to the police.

He said the society would take up the FA's handling of the allegations with sports minister Hugh Robertson.

"We strongly suspect that the FA and/or Chelsea have failed to provide this information to the Metropolitan Police in order for them to conduct a proper investigation," he said.<p>

Who is Peter Herbert?

Dan Roan BBC sports news correspondent

"It's hard to believe that just a month ago very few in the sport had even heard of The Society for Black Lawyers. Now the organisation and its chairman are front and centre of the game's discourse."

Read more

"The information we had is that there are 'no victims'. Well, if there are no victims, what on earth has been referred to the FA in the first place?

"What on earth are the FA and Chelsea playing at then? Are they having some cosy exchange of statements between themselves and not giving it to the police?

"We're going to ask the borough commander for an explanation. Was there any co-operation? Was any evidence given? If none was given by the FA or Chelsea we want to raise that issue with the Minister of Sport."

Herbert is particularly critical of the FA's decision not to involve the police once Chelsea made their complaint.

"If the Metropolitan Police are not provided with statements what are they supposed to do?" he added.

"If a football club has registered a complaint with the FA, we would expect the FA to refer this matter to the Metropolitan Police.

"The FA does not have the tools to investigate race-hate crime. We think that until the FA gets its house in order complaints like this should be investigated by the police.

"It really does beggar belief that the primary football authorities in the country do not understand the seriousness of hate crime."

guy is a top prick.

his doing what he set out to do, make a few soundbites for the media, become somewhat of a known name, and promote his society,

he's taken advantage of situations and twisted them to suit his own means.

intelligent prick

As I said, Herbert is here to stay...