How do footballers become bankrupt?

kerser

'Soon after winning his fortune, Carroll stated he would not be tempted into spending his money lavishly and only wanted to buy a 3-bedroom house near a lake, where he could go fishing. He also said that the many criminal offences of his past would not happen again and his anti-social behaviour was behind him.[5][6] Weeks later Carroll was fined £1,320 after boarding trains without buying tickets.[6]

In 2004, he was banned from driving for six months after being caught at the wheel of his new £49,000 BMW without L-plates and insurance.'

:/

need to put it in an offshore account or have your main home abroad to avoid paying alot of tax...can set up a trust fund for family

why thank you sir, and which financial qualifications do you have?

none, just fairly common sense if u have millions i would have thought...heard of many rich people doing this.

If it was this simple (main home abroad thing) do you think any rich people would "live" here. 

when you claim this i'm pretty sure you're given a certain amount of days your allowed to spend in the country working. This sort of thing can work for Lewis Hamiliton for example as i imagine a lot of the testing and training he does is based abroad, it couldn't work for Wayne Rooney for obvious reasons.

The trust fund thing makes sense to people who understand that the money won't last forever and that things can go wrong but as Toney said a lot of these people seem to have a warped sense of reality, earning in a week what most people could only dream of earning in a year will do that to you. 

the next generation of footballer will probably be more astute in their decisions due to learning from the mistakes of those before them, earning a lot more and in many cases having better educations. 

the more you think about it it becomes less and less surprising that so many are broke.

“There is a little bit of a misrepresentation or a misunderstanding on that. Frequently, it is said that the average career is about 3.5 years. In fact, if a player makes an opening day roster, his career is very close to six years…If you are a first-round draft choice, the average career is close to nine years. That 3.5-year average is really a misrepresentation. What it adds is a lot of players who don’t make an NFL roster and it brings down the average.”

In some respects they are different games all together by all accounts.

There are things you can get away with or that happen in the NFL that wouldn't happen in Rugby.

The amount of concussions and brain injuries that occur is a madness. A former Wrestler does research into head trauma and brain injury and I can't remember everything or even much of what it went into but what I do remember us thinking who in their right mind would play that game. Then you add on all the other athletic injuries that participants of pretty much any sport can get.....

ive played rugby, wasnt too bad, ur taught to tackle by aiming the shoulder into the thigh and wrapping ur arms round their legs to take them down, only time i got hurt was from the odd stud here and there while on the ground, american football is something else though boy they go in full force and hit wherever they can, some of the collisions ive seen in american football are just insane.

its two spectrums like johnny wilkinson got fizzled from early think he had a short career

on the other hand micheal johnson(dude with cauliflower ears) played for ages

i can see why nfl players have short careers

Wilkinson plays his rugby in France. He's in his thirties