Libyan Slave Trade

yhfam

2 hours ago, cambridgebanteer said:

what  type of consent are we talking here... objective/lawful or weinstein/spacey? 

They want the 'job' usually. If you have grown up in Africa/visited there not as a tourist/have fam there then u will know its just stupid comparing the two. Completely different situations.

Obviously there's exceptions to everything. No doubt there's sadistic and fucked up people who also happen to have servants so they mistreat them. But the general practice is harmless and before today I've never heard anyone question it. Especially to compare it to actual slavery. Laughably ignorant.

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, ag. said:

There are very clear and accepted differences between the Arabic and Atlantic slave trade, as well as who they effected, and in what regions... This isn't up for debate, not sure why you had to go into all that other extra stuff?

so many half truths

"google woke"

It was the best of the times, it was the worst of times

the rest of the world ain't gonna start bein sanitised cos of a YouTube video or a twitta campaign unless it's backed by the board of directors to achieve some bottom lined end goal hidden from NATO's mission statement

which judging by the momentum behind this video, bearing in mind I haven't watched it yet or verified it's shockocity, seems possible

Certain people attitude towards the maid situ is very telling. Very telling indeed

Heartless but its absolutely no surprise. This distance and this lack of compassion for actual human beings is why the world will always be a shit hole of degradation and abuse

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

You need to lay off the indirects and speak your mind ma'am

/

Also if anything I agree with the sentiment regarding peoples attitudes, it is very telling when social media has such power to influence and manipulate, and just like the oxford street mass hysteria situation, highlights peoples vanity in seeking attention on the back of a tragedy in principal 

All this fake outrage and hypocritical judgment, also playing on peoples Indignation is the real reason this world will always be a shit hole of degradation and abuse

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ag. said:

Maid or servant is very common in Aff families with money... That article cambridge shared is basically irrelevant bullshit. Can't compare servants who consent, and get paid in some way, to actual real slaves.

21 hours ago, Yeshua said:

You don't know about the culture so low it grafter, theres a clear difference.

21 hours ago, Grafter said:

Children yh?

Children consent do they?

People consent to beats?

Head in the sand

21 hours ago, Seydou said:

:lol:

The culture of "I'm paying you, so take this beating"?

Mate. Wtf is wrong with people.

The xulture you know.

Smh

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

Don't know what's difficult to grasp bro

I assume you work in this country, nah?

Then I will also assume your bossman can walk up to your desk and give a lil slap across your face because you didn't hand in a spreadsheet on time ?

Because it's culture, therefore I should tolerate that?

Maids get paid to work, not paid to take slap 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seydou said:

To be honest, I agree with both of your posts. I don't have much to add on except I wanted to end my post similar to yours. I believe money and greed is the sole reason why the world will always be a shit hole of degradation and abuse

It’s less about greed and more about control imo

9 minutes ago, Seydou said:

Don't know what's difficult to grasp bro

I assume you work in this country, nah?

Then I will also assume your bossman can walk up to your desk and give a lil slap across your face because you didn't hand in a spreadsheet on time ?

Because it's culture, therefore I should tolerate that?

Maids get paid to work, not paid to take slap 

Simple. About its not even Affs comparing. Doesn't mean shit.

7 minutes ago, JOHN DOE said:

at the very least the house girl/boy know what they are getting themselves into and really should have the option to kick if they feel like it 

Exactly.

Most House Boy/Girls are often an extension of the family. In some households they get their wages paid  directly to them, as expected .  Some get their education paid for and other expenses paid for too.

The problem  with the Housemaid thing is in palces like africa is lts not regulated, so yes, there are chances of them getting exploited.

But comparing it to the slavery we are witnessing in Libya is a stretch imo.

Lol at smacking a housemaid. Thats suicidal in Naij anyway. I have heard of maids organising armed robbers to come and clean up their employers yard.