End of Funky ?

Mr. Gayle

Basically dejavu, what is the point in being a dj if your not playing what you like and everyone not liking it? If your playing anything then you are disco dave. I would not play uk funky as my only dance interest is electro, funky house, garage & disco, only genres i would ever play & mix. Still each to their own. Raving in urban events are dead when everyone pretends they have a headache and think it's cool.

whoaaaa! lool this I've missed a lot!!i hear wot every1 is sayin still, i do standardly believe if u brought some tunes out which people dnt no but u do a crashin mix where da beats r just on lock n u playin and teasing wid da fader n bass u can more den entertain. otherwise ur crowd is stupid simplethis is EXACTLY wot Marcus does i hardly no any of the tunes that he plays but i could standardly feel his sets cos the way he mixes brings energy from the dj booth to the speakers to the ravers.my main problem is that uk funky is not mixed with any excitement by a lot of djs that I have heard more so the bandwagon djs. howeva the crowd reactions r mostly gd if the more bait tunes are droppedi think this wot separates the men from the boys.

SO Dejavu, your saying your one of them guys who will drop the same tune that the three djs before you dropped and the two djs after you will drop to, yeah?That is waste, not about hearing the same songs over and over.
no. im saying i wouldnt play deep house tunes to a rave where i was on the same lineup as coldsteps for example. whys that so hard to understand? if u lot wanna rave to house....go to a house rave. its simple. dont see a bait lineup....go and then complain.what im gettin at is the clientelle within raves only want to hear certain tunes.........which narrows ur selection as to house to excite the crowd. as a dj, you cant play a set with nobody shockin out and think uve done ur job. lol
yeah its true.... most of the crowd would rather hear a skank tune than a bit of dennis ferrer....tbh i still wouldnt play most of the sh*t like are you gonna bang doe even in them type raves because there still needs to be quality control.
Dejavu, you basically confirmed you would drop the same boog tunes. Tbh as a dj determining what time you play at then you should play to what time your set is if your gonna drop the boog tunes. Remember when stampede & rumble raves were on. All different types of music were played and different types of garage & everyone still loved it. Anyway allow playing the same tunes over and over again and if it's a weekly rave then at least change the tunes and mix them up each week ffs!
woah.....i dont think any tunes i play are poor. u wont catch me playin the latest skank tunes. im sayin....nights that i do get booked at (primarily because i was a final year uni student....meant that they were all in brighton)....the clientelle wanted more skank tunes. hence promoters puttin me on earlier. thats the promoters choice, not mine. hes catering to his crowd, im catering to people that wanna listen to me and what I want to play. i think ur confused? by me sayin most the crowd would rather hear a skank tune....i didnt mean thats wat id give them!

Basically dejavu, what is the point in being a dj if your not playing what you like and everyone not liking it? If your playing anything then you are disco dave. I would not play uk funky as my only dance interest is electro, funky house, garage & disco, only genres i would ever play & mix. Still each to their own. Raving in urban events are dead when everyone pretends they have a headache and think it's cool.
i do play wat i want....hence gettin booked earlier in the raves where i was playin due to the clientelle attracted. jus posted this before but i was in final year of uni so playin at anything in central was off the cards, i had minimal time and money.

as anyone seen versatile without them silly hats he wears??? them hats died out like 10 years ago, is he bald , bad hair line or something? ? ? mans what 30 or beyond and still wears hats *shakes head*
:lol: i think his got bad hair line

• 3 weeks later...
Turning up and playing for a bunch of uni students and people who work in phone shops is air. f*ck what they want to hear. They have the worst taste ever. What the f*ck do they know about anything? You could turn up at a rave and play 16 Skank tunes followed by Fuzzy Logik and one two other tunes and be the greatest Disco Dave ever in the history of the world. That takes no skill, and it takes no musical knowledge either.If you do that you are an employee and you turn up at the club to do a job. And that is respectable. It is a form of employment. But just know yourself if that is what you do. Because you are not a taste maker. You are not a pioneer of music. You do not stand for anything.You say you wouldn't turn up to a rave and play deep house. If you want to play deep house, why not? Circle played their own style of music and went off, built up a fanbase and now are pillars of the UK underground House scene. Marcus went out and played his own style of beats and got cussed by a lot of 'purists' who didn't like the sound he was pushing. But he stuck to it and built up a fanbase and now he is a pillar too in his own realm of UK Funky.Any person with a set of headphones and a CD RW drive on their laptop can go out and play bait tunes. The problem arises when they don't realise they are just club employees doing a job just like the bar staff or the girl in the cloak room.But I have zero problem with the humble guys who just want to go out and make people have a good time during their set and take home an honest wage.
Promoters should book DJs who are known to attract a crowd who want to hear what THEY play. Not DJs who will turn up and play whatever the people who happened to have turned up look like they want to hear.That's what is f*ck*ng up the club scene.
Not only have you spoken the truest words I've probably read on this forum, you've actually made me THINK and show this paragraph to certain DJ's.Thank you.

People worry too much about what other people think and do.Circle got big cos they pushed forward with a sound and did their own thing. And then that whole side of UK House started worrying about what the yutes were doing and began getting more attention for saying negative things about other people than the positive work they had done for a good couple of years pushing their own thing.DJs playing music cos they think that's what other people want to hear. Then you end up with every DJ playing the same 15 tunes in a set.Need more people going out there and having a musical identity. It worked for Marcus cos he was playing that harder darker stuff. It worked for Circle cos they were playing the more 'mature' sound that wasn't for the back of the bus.All this bandwagoning that u get from 'urban' DJs is dead. The kids are meant to jump on the latest thing, not grown men who are supposedly professionals.
First time ive seen this.Salutes

Tbh what CM Punk said early about DJs shouldnt play what the crowd want is stupidOf course your meant to be playing music to cater to the demographics of your audience, you play a certain selection depending on who youre playing toEvery DJ does this
Promoters should book DJs who are known to attract a crowd who want to hear what THEY play. Not DJs who will turn up and play whatever the people who happened to have turned up look like they want to hear.That's what is f*ck*ng up the club scene.
Joel C is stupid.He's saying Jazzy Jeff should play Dance Hall when he goes Jamaica to play out.f*ck*ng stupid thoughts tbh.Like saying Logan should play uk funky when he plays out at them bait funky dancesSMH!!!No wonder he does business degree, man needs to be taught common sense.

I don't like greek gurls so you failed.LOL @ you trying to use ANY excuse to justify your being.Go to your regular stop and listen to DJ Dave with his play list that gets dropped at every club by every dj at the very precise same time.Your the unimaginative uni type of guy Logan is talking about, with your common sense degree. :arrow: