Weekend Football

Black.

Blackburn's behaviour, Pascal Chimbonda and Steven N'Zonzi can both count themselves extremely lucky to have escaped with yellow cards when red was perhaps more appropriate, while El-Hadji Diouf was always walking a disciplinary tightrope, left Benitez feeling rather irritated."We had to win and we won," he stated."We won and that is the most important thing. I don't know but I was really surprised that it was just five (bookings for Blackburn)."It doesn't matter - we won."It is really important (the way to play) but sometimes we cannot play football."Nzonzi was very clear, touching the face of Lucas, and the rules are the rules."We have had four of five players with problems, bleeding, and Maxi with stud(marks) in his abdomen. Interesting - but we won."Benitez, who had a strained relationship with Allardyce before the match, continued and when asked whether the referee Alan Wiley should have come down harder on the visitors' behaviour the Spaniard replied, rather tongue in cheek: "I think that everybody knows that his (Allardyce) teams play great football under this manager."When you play these kind of games you have to win and we did. I don't know if he (Allardyce) has had contact with (referee chief) Keith Hackett maybe he should know."We try to do our talking on the pitch. If they are pleased with the way they play under this manager it is their decision."They have a style and they are a team that plays this way under this manager. We won so they have to be thinking about whether the style is good or not."Some people have to talk before the press conference or after because it is more difficult for them to do a football job."I think it is a model for all the managers around the world, their style of football, his behaviour."It is the perfect model for all the kids and I'm sure all parents will enjoy this model and encourage their kids to be the same."The style of football, I think, Barcelona are thinking of copying."
Rafa >>> ____

Every footballer has been the culprit of a bad tackle. that picture means nothing, i know its hard to take when one of your own has been put out by a challenge, but FFS people get a grip and come off this everyone hates and wants to kill us rubbish. i can understand Wenger saying it to give his players the siege mentality and motivate them, but theres no excuse for supporters who wouldve seen the challenge countless times to fall into the web of bullshit. you will see worse tackles in every game that go without causing serious injury its part and parcel of the game. i.e Ballack on Tevez was worse than Shawcross on Ramsey but no ones talking about that due to Ramsey's unfortunate injury and Tevez walking away un scathed. wish the lad luck in recovery , rue your bad luck, and roll on the next game.

• Upvote 1

Stoke City boss Tony Pulis defended Ryan Shawcross after the tackle that broke Arsenal midfielder Aaron Ramsey’s leg.Pulis added: “I know my players better than he [Wenger] knows my players. Ryan, he is ‘not that type of lad’
Seen2hno10x.jpgSeenShawcrossXAdebayor.jpg
He's a f*ck*ng DEFENDER. Defenders DO THIS. Its just unfortunate for Ramsey cos it was a 50/50 challengeOnly people who have never played the sport on a regular basis sometime in their lives would chat sh*t amount of sh*t.

Arsenal Comment: How Many More Injured Players Will It Take For Arsene Wenger To Toughen Up His Team?Purist must compromise his philosophy in robust leagueMar 1, 2010 11:01:00 AMBy Matthew Weiner | Arsenal CorrespondentThree season-ending injuries in four years isn’t a coincidence.That was Arsene Wenger’s verdict following the Stoke City v Arsenal game in which Ryan Shawcross’s high and late tackle left Aaron Ramsey with a double leg fracture reminiscent of Eduardo’s nightmare just two years ago.The Arsenal boss is probably right, teams are clearly targeting the Gunners with extra physical play. But then, you have to ask, why are the north London side allowing them to get away with it?If you go into battle waving a sword, when the other side have got guns, you’re bound to get hurt. And that is what Arsenal are currently doing with their lightweight squad.Following the Stoke game, Sky Sports' Richard Keys asked why this keeps on happening to the Gunners.First there was Abou Diaby who, in May 2006, had his ankle fractured and dislocated by a challenge from Sunderland’s Dan Smith.Then in February 2008, Eduardo had his left fibula fractured and sustained an open dislocation of his ankle joint following a brutal tackle by Birmingham’s Martin Taylor.Two years on, Aaron Ramsey has been kicked out of the game for several months following another X-rated incident on an Arsenal player.Now, no one is saying that these injuries have been caused intentionally. In particular, the Shawcross tackle was clumsy rather than malevolent.But teams are deciding the best way to beat the superbly-talented north London side is by getting physical. By putting the boot in they hope to put Wenger’s charges off their game. The unfortunate consequence of such an approach is that when a heavy tackle is mistimed or misplaced it can severely hurt an Arsenal player. And it has.But why are these horrific injuries happening to Arsenal and not the equally talented individuals at Chelsea or Manchester United?Is it because Arsenal move the ball around so quickly, that these lesser-talented individuals keep connecting with man not ball?That is part of the reason but not all of it. Arsenal do keep the ball better than most and the degree to which they have possession throughout the game does frustrate the opposition.Yet both Manchester United and Chelsea have actually made more successful passes this season than the Gunners. Arsenal have made 10,662 to United’s 10,914 and the Blues' 10,938.Are Arsene Wenger’s side actually getting fouled more than other teams? The answer is no.Three other teams have been kicked more than the Gunners this season. Arsenal are fourth in the ‘most-fouled table’. They have won 383 fouls this term, compared to Hull City, who have 387, and Everton and Spurs, who have received 390 apiece.If you want to understand why the Gunners are repeatedly on the end of such brutal treatment, the key statistic is the disciplinary table.Arsene Wenger’s men are second in this league only to nice-guys Fulham. Arsenal have 41 points as opposed to Manchester United, who sit in sixth place with 48 points, while Chelsea are happy to be mid-table on this occasion with 52 points.What this tells you is that the other Premier League contenders are happy to dish it out as well as receive it. If your opponents know that you’re a bit tasty when it comes to a fight, then they’ll think twice about the way they treat you.Following the Ramsey injury, Wenger said: “The way I try to play the game is I believe the right way. I still prefer to continue to play like that. We respect the game and our opponents and try to give pleasure to people who watch us.”The Frenchman is, without doubt, a visionary - and quite possibly, in footballing terms at least, a genius. His eye for a player and ability to coach his teams in the art of attacking play is second to none. But he is letting down his squad by refusing to be pragmatic when it comes to the requirements of the Premier League.This is a tough league that is more physical than most, and that is part of the reason for its popularity. It’s not just the flair that attracts fans from all over the world but the commitment too.Teams without the talent that Arsenal can boast can still get a result against the Gunners because they play direct football and use brutish intimidation tactics. Fans love it as it means the Premier League is never predictable.If other teams adopted Wenger’s style of play, as he wished, they’d get repeatedly beaten by the Gunners because they simply don’t have the players. Their managers also don’t have the skills required to spot the gems in the transfer market as the Frenchman can.Perhaps in five or 10 years' time, the Premier League will become this minimal contact sport that Wenger dreams of, in which his small, mobile players are allowed to weave their magic unhindered by English cloggers.Until that day, however, Arsenal will have to continue to play football in the real world. That real world demands both strength and skill.Look at the very best players the Premier League has produced: Rooney, Ronaldo, Henry, Vieira, Drogba, Lampard, Cantona and Keane. Gladiators, one and all of them, who are or were able to cope with the demands of the game while producing breathtaking artistry.Sir Alex Ferguson, ever the pragmatist, understands that. His sides are still able to mix it up. His best players still boast both silk and steel.If Wenger is to do Arsenal fans justice, then he too must bear in mind the physical nature of the Premier League. If he cannot find the kind of athletic giants that once populated the Invincibles, then he must supplement his current team with a couple of ‘minders’ who will make opponents like Shawcross think twice about dishing it out.A nasty central midfielder, a spiteful full-back and a beast of a centre-forward would all make Arsenal a far more competitive proposition.Of course, saying all that, Arsenal currently sit three points off the lead. It is entirely possible that Wenger could win the Premier League this season playing his way. If he does so, then the achievement will be incredible - all the more laudable because, like Frank Sinatra, he did it his way. By spending within his budget and eschewing the physical side of the game, he has shown the way forward for football. As a visionary, his triumph will be remembered forever.If, however, the Gunners come up short again this season it will be their fifth in a row without silverware. If this year his team's quest for tangible glory proves fruitless yet again, then Wenger will be hard-pushed to convince the Emirates faithful his project is worth pursuing further. No trophy again this season and it will be high time to bring a little nasty back to the Arsenal.
sorry but you don't play a 19 year old against teams like STOKE and not expect them to go in hard. it was unfortunate but i would always want my team to put in 100% into every tackle against arsenal. this "everyone is trying to kill us" stuff wenger comes out with is rubbish.

Guest Lemons
Stoke City boss Tony Pulis defended Ryan Shawcross after the tackle that broke Arsenal midfielder Aaron Ramsey’s leg.Pulis added: “I know my players better than he [Wenger] knows my players. Ryan, he is ‘not that type of lad’
He's a f*ck*ng DEFENDER. Defenders DO THIS. Its just unfortunate for Ramsey cos it was a 50/50 challengeOnly people who have never played the sport on a regular basis sometime in their lives would chat sh*t amount of sh*t.
Defenders slide tackle people at ankle/shin height off the pitch? (I'm making direct reference to the image above you, not sure if you were).Shut the f*ck up.
  • Upvote 1

SO because he's 19, that automatically makes him eligible for hard tackles? You son, are a retard.
of course if a team full of kids like arsenal. . against physical teams like stoke... they will get rough treatment, lol @ calling for more protectionbecause he's 19 he will get bullied and intimidated yes.. i don't see what's retarded about that? it's the way to beat arsenal.they need to get over it, and add some strength to the team in the summer. not cry about protection.
  • Upvote 1

SO because he's 19, that automatically makes him eligible for hard tackles? You son, are a retard.
of course if a team full of kids like arsenal. . against physical teams like stoke... they will get rough treatment, lol @ calling for more protectionbecause he's 19 he will get bullied and intimidated yes.. i don't see what's retarded about that? it's the way to beat arsenal.they need to get over it, and add some strength to the team in the summer. not cry about protection.
TBH, I've seen teams beat Arsenal playing football without being overly physical. It isn't the only way.

Defenders slide tackle people at ankle/shin height off the pitch? (I'm making direct reference to the image above you, not sure if you were).Shut the f*ck up.
I'm not referring to the image. I'm referring to the articles making Sawcross look like some football thugWhat I'm saying is, these things happen in the life of a Defender. The unfortunate get hit in a 50/50Shut the f*ck up.
  • Upvote 1

Not every bad injury is the result of an equally bad tackle.It was a 50/50 with an unfortunate outcome, previous incidents and Wenger's ongoing comments about physicality have played a big part in the reaction of Arsenal fans and players.

• Upvote 5

Not every bad injury is the result of an equally bad tackle.It was a 50/50 with an unfortunate outcome, previous incidents and Wenger's ongoing comments about physicality have played a big part in the reaction of Arsenal fans and players.
Not even disagreeing with you here, but you can't argue against the fact that it's become acceptable for teams to be 'overly physical' against Arsenal...There's being aggressive & then there's reckless, and I'm saying that generally, not just about the Stoke incident. Some of the matches I saw played against Bolton & Newcastle in recent years were just short of barbaric. We play football right? Players train to PLAY football. Top-flight teams, playing in the f*ck*ng Premier League, shouldn't prioritise aggression over actual football, to beat ANY team, let alone Arsenal. Because it also manifests a mentality within British players that trickles down from top flight football to Sunday league, where physicality precedes technique...

So what's your opinion on the incident?