Norway: Blast near prime minister's office in Oslo

Mr. Gayle

A Norwegian dressed as a police officer killed at least 80 people at an island retreat, police said early on Saturday. It took investigators several hours to begin to realise the full scope of the massacre, which followed an explosion in Oslo that killed seven and that police say was set off by the same suspect.

Police initially said about 10 people were killed at the camp on the island of Utøya, but some survivors said they thought the toll was much higher. Police director Øystein Mæland told reporters early on Saturday they had discovered many more victims.

"It's taken time to search the area. What we know now is that we can say that there are at least 80 killed at Utøya," Mæland said. "It goes without saying that this gives dimensions to this incident that are exceptional."

Mæland said the death toll could rise even more. He said others were severely injured, but police did not know how many were hurt.

A suspect in the shootings and the Oslo explosion was arrested. Though police did not release his name, Norwegian national broadcaster NRK identified him as 32-year-old Anders Behring Breivik and said police searched his Oslo apartment overnight.

A police official said the suspect appears to have acted alone in both attacks, and that "it seems that this is not linked to any international terrorist organisations". The official spoke on condition of anonymity because that information had not been officially released by Norway's police.

The official said the attack "is probably more Norway's Oklahoma City than it is Norway's World Trade Center."

The motive was unknown, but both attacks were in areas connected to the ruling Labour party government. The youth camp, about 20 miles northwest of Oslo, is organised by the party's youth wing, and the prime minister had been scheduled to speak there on Saturday.

The blast in Oslo left a square covered in twisted metal, shattered glass and documents expelled from surrounding buildings. Most of the windows in the block where the prime minister, Jens Stoltenberg, and his administration work were shattered.

The police official who spoke on condition of anonymity said the Oslo bombing occurred at 3.26pm local time, and the camp shootings began one to two hours later. The official said the gunman used automatic weapons and handguns, and that there was at least one unexploded device at the youth camp that a police bomb disposal team and military experts were disarming.

Seven people were killed by the blast in Oslo, four of whom have been identified. Nine or 10 people were seriously injured.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jul/23/norway-attack-utoya-shooting-oslo

where it happened was on some island so people swam off the island and swam to woodlands to hide I swear on my life I aint making this sh*t up

Why would we think you were making that up?

because it sounds far fetched

why are they still talking about Islam as the enemy kmt

http://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2011/07/islamophobia-run-wild/

I watched the disgraceful Islamophobic rantings on the BBC and Sky News last night in mounting disbelief. Security correspondent and security expert vied with each other to tell us that the dreadful attacks in Norway were the work of al-Qaida. One extraordinary American, introduced as from a Centre for Combating Extremism, explained that these Norwegian jihadists had international links and plans to attack London and the New York subway. Norway was a target, we were repeatedly told, because of its NATO membership....

the funniest thing is first everyone was saying

its those muslims.... all there racist hate was coming out because they thought it was justified

then when it turns out to be a white guy

hes a neo nazi

lmao

fickle white people

its those muslims.... all there racist hate was coming out because they thought it was justified

hes a neo nazi

lmao

fickle white people

Dude, I swear your Cypriot?

hes a neo nazi

lmao

fickle white people

Dude, I swear your Cypriot?

LOL at denying your race

• Downvote 1

The media reporting of all of this has been an utter shambles. So quick to point the finger, and low and behold it's a child of hitler, blonde hair,blue eyes who is shooting up innocent children.

Will see a war against any christian fundamentalists? Do people even know that there are christian fundamentalist? or every time they hear the word they expect to see a brown person who is muslim?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

The media reporting of all of this has been an utter shambles. So quick to point the finger, and low and behold it's a child of hitler, blonde hair,blue eyes who is shooting up innocent children.

Will see a war against any christian fundamentalists? Do people even know that there are christian fundamentalist? or every time they hear the word they expect to see a brown person who is muslim?

Very sad. Yes it is unfortunate that the media was too quick to jump to conclusions. But there in no equivalency between christian "fundamentalism" and Islamic fundamentalism. As far as we know, he wasn't exactly shooting people, with a cry of "IN THE NAME OF JESUS", and how incongruous would that sound. Not only did he not follow the example of Christ in loving everyone as yourself and eschewing violence, he was a Freemason which is wholly incompatible with Christianity.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not only did he not follow the example of Christ in loving everyone as yourself and eschewing violence

A lot of people would say this about Islamic fundamentalists though, would they not?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Not only did he not follow the example of Christ in loving everyone as yourself and eschewing violence

A lot of people would say this about Islamic fundamentalists though, would they not?

Some people might do. But their beliefs have the scholarly support of a lot of prominent schools of Islamic thought.

Where does it say in the Koran that you should turn the other cheek? There is no concept of Jihad in Christianity. If people took their emulation of religious figures to extremes - what would it look like? What would a person who followed Jesus's Sermon on the Mount to a tee look like, on the other hand what would a person who sought to emulate Mohammed to the extreme look like?

• Downvote 3

Some people might do. But their beliefs have the scholarly support of a lot of prominent schools of Islamic thought. There is no concept of Jihad in Christianity. If people took their emulation of religious figures to extremes - what would it look like? What would a person who followed Jesus's Sermon on the Mount to a tee look like, on the other hand what would a person who sought to emulate Mohammed to the extreme look like?

Jesus and Mohammed wouldnt of looked too dissimilar tbh, both would of been brown skinned, dark haired, bearded wearing similar robe type clothing with sandals.

There is more preaching of peace and good hearted behaviour in the Quran than there is of war and violence, jihad is not strictly a holy war against non-muslims as made out by the media.

/

Ulysses can speak a lot of sense at times, but this time no.

• Upvote 1

Some people might do. But their beliefs have the scholarly support of a lot of prominent schools of Islamic thought. There is no concept of Jihad in Christianity. If people took their emulation of religious figures to extremes - what would it look like? What would a person who followed Jesus's Sermon on the Mount to a tee look like, on the other hand what would a person who sought to emulate Mohammed to the extreme look like?

Jesus and Mohammed wouldnt of looked too dissimilar tbh, both would of been brown skinned, dark haired, bearded wearing similar robe type clothing with sandals.

There is more preaching of peace and good hearted behaviour in the Quran than there is of war and violence, jihad is not strictly a holy war against non-muslims as made out by the media.

/

Not what they looked like, but as the the gospel reminds us from their fruits ye shall know them. Their lives were completely dissimilar. Quote one place in the Quran where there is a notion of meekness, of unqualified forgiveness, of turning the other cheek, of love for ones enemies, of blessed are the peacemakers, especially demonstrated by the Prophet Mohammed.

Now I am not saying Muslims are evil terrorists etc etc. That is a nonsense. And I have my own reservations and suspicions about the "War on Terror".

But, it is undeniable that the theology underpinning the beliefs of Islamists is sound in many quarters of the Islamic world.

I didn't want to turn this into another religion debate, but I had to jump on with all the talk of that misnomer "Christian Fundamentalism"

Again my deepest sympathies are with the Norwegian people.

/

Not what they looked like, but as the the gospel reminds us from their fruits ye shall know them. Their lives were completely dissimilar. Quote one place in the Quran where there is a notion of meekness, of unqualified forgiveness, of turning the other cheek, of love for ones enemies, of blessed are the peacemakers, especially demonstrated by the Prophet Mohammed.

Now I am not saying Muslims are evil terrorists etc etc. That is a nonsense. And I have my own reservations and suspicions about the "War on Terror".

But, it is undeniable that the theology underpinning the beliefs of Islamists is sound in many quarters of the Islamic world.

I didn't want to turn this into another religion debate, but I had to jump on with all the talk of that misnomer "Christian Fundamentalism"

Stop acting like there aren't VIOLENT passages in the BIBLE... and don't even come with ''it was in the old testament' malark.

The Qur'an states that Muslims should respect their non-Muslim neighbours and should not engage in any sort of conflict with them UNLESS the non-Muslims initiate the conflict. Once the non-Muslims sue for peace, the Muslims are to end all hostility.

Anyways... R.I.P to all those innocent lives taken.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

/

Stop acting like there aren't VIOLENT passages in the BIBLE... and don't even come with ''it was in the old testament' malark.

The Qur'an states that Muslims should respect their non-Muslim neighbours and should not engage in any sort of conflict with them UNLESS the non-Muslims initiate the conflict. Once the non-Muslims sue for peace, the Muslims are to end all hostility.

Anyways... R.I.P to all those innocent lives taken.

U_muhamMAd.jpg

• Downvote 2