Semi Final 2 - Netherlands v Argentina

Admin.

Want Argentina to win it simply because Messi needs to become the true G.O.A.T

Watch man still come up with some silly sh*t like "but he never performed like the GOATS"

But it's true though he may win the World Cup, but what made other players GOATS is they performed at the highest level and won the World Cup...

This being all said, he bangs in a Hatrick in the final and he's certified!

Short of Messi scoring a hat-trick in the final, I don't think there's any real argument that he was the standout player of this tournament or "won it on his own." He scored 4 goals in the group stages against Bosnia, Iran and Nigeria, and even in the first 2 of those games he mostly drifted in and out of the match. Even less impact in the knockout stages really. Not even just talking goals or assists, but general contribution.

I'm not even sure who I think the standout player of the tournament is so far, but even if Argentina do win on Sunday we haven't seen close to what Maradonna did in 86 or even what Ronaldo did in 2002. I don't think it should matter though, as what you do over a month every 4 years, shouldn't really even be in the same conversation as what you do week in week out for your whole career. But it's just the way we've been programmed to think about world cup performances.

• Upvote 4

lets not forget ronaldos goals before the final came against

turkey

china

costa rica 

belgium

Short of Messi scoring a hat-trick in the final, I don't think there's any real argument that he was the standout player of this tournament or "won it on his own." He scored 4 goals in the group stages against Bosnia, Iran and Nigeria, and even in the first 2 of those games he mostly drifted in and out of the match. Even less impact in the knockout stages really. Not even just talking goals or assists, but general contribution.

I'm not even sure who I think the standout player of the tournament is so far, but even if Argentina do win on Sunday we haven't seen close to what Maradonna did in 86 or even what Ronaldo did in 2002. I don't think it should matter though, as what you do over a month every 4 years, shouldn't really even be in the same conversation as what you do week in week out for your whole career. But it's just the way we've been programmed to think about world cup performances.

Spot on

Messi played shit all season strolling around the pitch like he didn't wana be there, I thought he was saving himself for the world cup. But he's been doing the same in Brazil

Argentina had an easy path to the final, they don't deserve to win the WC at all. Hope Germany take it

Even though I agreed with Rsonist Messi has been instrumental in Argentina's run to the final.

His goals and assists have been the difference in games, thats all he can do.

It ain't the most spectacular performance ever seen in a WC but if Argentina win the WC he will have made a massive contribution.

He will deserve his place in the football pantheon.