Wayne Rooney

Mame Biram Diouf

Wayne Rooney will be Manchester United’s main centre-forward this season, with Louis van Gaal clear there is no longer a need for the four-striker model that has brought the club so much success.

Rooney is the only proven finisher in the manager’s squad but Van Gaal is unconcerned because he wants goals to come from all areas. Radamel Falcao and Robin van Persie have left Old Trafford and though James Wilson and Javier Hernández are still in the squad they have struggled to establish themselves. Yet Van Gaal is relaxed regarding recruiting another frontline finisher because of how he hopes the side will play and his faith in Rooney, despite him scoring only 12 Premier League goals last season.

Van Gaal is targeting Barcelona’s Pedro, a forward who would be able to play across the attack of the manager’s planned 4-3-3 formation. If the Spaniard did arrive he would be expected to complement Rooney, Memphis Depay, Wilson and Hernández. The latter is to be given a chance to prove himself when he joins the club’s tour of America on 25 July after resting following the Copa América.

While Van Gaal would be open to buying a striker should he vastly increase scoring options, Rooney is to be the focal point of attack. There would be no issue with him being the only high-profile centre-forward in the squad as Van Gaal believes the rest of his side will contribute. Depay, who was the top scorer in PSV’s Eredivisie title win last season, will be tried as a central striker.

You see this overload thing

3 on 2 or 3 on 1(when the RW has had enough running backwards) is working a treat

It's the underlying principle of positional play.

Creating an advantage through numerical, positional & qualitative superiority.

:Y:  On that wave yeah, reading  :ph34r:

Unitil he had his one chance and tries to chip the keeper whos on his line

Will be very very surprised if we acheive anything this season but Top 4 with a Rooney top goalscorer season. Hopefully he's some false 9 kinda role getting assists for the wingers/inside forwards or whatever.

The hype is in overrdrive right now

Beg he proves us wrong and makes us all look stupid

I have to play him otherwise im getting sacked

I tried him midfield and you man cried now lets see him upfront

Did you think 'next season Van Persie cannot do enough for me up front'?

“There is also the choice for Wayne Rooney. People have written all season that Rooney is a striker now you ask about Van Persie.”

Can Rooney do for you what Aguero does for City, or what Costa does for Chelsea?

“Rooney says that he scores at the minimum 25 goals. Last season I had a top scorer with 12 goals and Van Persie had 10 goals. So when I have a striker that scores 25 and Rooney is more or less saying that, I am better off.”

More new quotes

Not sure if trolling or [Wav] long con [Wav]