Greatest Actor

Davicious X

20 minutes ago, Heero Yuy said:

Will Smiths more powerful performances are just good within the context of Will's normal acting. Don't think they've been really good when you compare them to the actors mentioned in this thread.

Edward Norton and Christian Bale are two of my personal favourites. Norton supposed be a nutter to work with in real life, which is why I think he doesn't get as many roles these days.

Edward Norton in AHX is easily one of my goat performances.

24 minutes ago, Heero Yuy said:

Will Smiths more powerful performances are just good within the context of Will's normal acting. Don't think they've been really good when you compare them to the actors mentioned in this thread.

My question is, did a man like Will Smith lose out on being in the list of greats due to his role selections or is his skill set as an actor quite limited?

I believe he's really good as an actor but let down due to his selection/choices

I'm talking the Quaresma of actors.

• Like 1

I'm not saying he's the greatest but I prefer Keanu Reeves earlier movies, he had a quirky dry humour (Johnny Mnenomic)

Andy Serkis in LOTR

Heath Ledger for his method acting in The Dark Knight which sadly probably contributed to his death

John Malkovich, Willem Dafoe, Steve Buscemi all relatively decent

Ed Harris in The Rock & Eye for an Eye

Laurence Fishburne is quite versatile and usually not type casted in recent years

William Fichtner in The Perfect Storm

Hugo Weaving in LOTR, but acting can be quite monotone as seen in Matrix

Michael Sheen in Passengers even though he had a small part

16 minutes ago, Seydou said:

Why your whole life trying to kill debates.

Just list your opinion bruh

That's my opinion ak. I've thought that about these 'greatest ever' debates for ages not just coz I saw this thread. Makes more sense saying someone is goat in sports n that 

big big fan of Dicaprio - but one thing I have noticed w/ my man since 2000 is that you can 'see' him acting

Blood Diamond

Gangs of NY

Catch me if u can

howard hughes movie

Departed

Shutter Island

Inception

Grizzly Bear ting

a dicaprio twirk more or less in each of his performances, same goes with W.Smith, Deniro, and most notably Denzel W

with the top 3 I just mention ya can't see it

3 hours ago, O Fenomeno said:

Stop it with that nonsense.

A white man portraying a black man.

Its a funny phrase I heard years ago after this story came out http://www.news24.com/You/Archive/wise-dicaprio-to-play-martin-luther-king-jr-upsets-many-20170728

Acting and Filming master class here

also no actor has ever had a better run in a decade than Pacino in the 70's - 

Dog Day Afternoon

aldog.jpg?quality=100&w=650&h=400

GOAT performance in:

Ojciec-Chrzestny-2.jpeg

and Serpico

fddaa9c6cb57f6d9e8f658bea361e293.jpg

bear in mind this is the same decade Jack Nicholson and Deniro were drowning others around them. So he up there no doubt but it's unfortunate that he hasn't been in a good movie since the 80s (apart from heat)

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, Gambino said:

All the movies I've seen the Di Caprio in and the most recent one I watched of him was his oldest film and I thought that was his best performance. What's Eating Gilbert Grape.

@RYDER. Where's the Tony Montana shout, one of his best.

was talking about the 70's still. I'm sure scarface came out in the 80s no?

and yeah pre 2000 was dicaprio at his best 

gilbert grape

basketball dairies

he hasn't topped both those performances since. 

was supposed to play Dirk Diggler in PTA's Boogie Nights before Mark Wahlberg was cast - DiCaprio would have killed that role man.

He tried to do something different (The Beach in 2000) and that flopped so decided to go straight for all the oscar roles and hasn't looked back since

18 hours ago, Seydou said:

My question is, did a man like Will Smith lose out on being in the list of greats due to his role selections or is his skill set as an actor quite limited?

I believe he's really good as an actor but let down due to his selection/choices

I'm talking the Quaresma of actors.

I'd say limited, his ability ceiling just isn't as high as most, if not all of the actors mentioned.

But at the same time, they probably can't do what he can do in roles that are ideal for him. 

21 hours ago, Seydou said:

Lol

First name that should pop up is Daniel Day Lewis. Nothing greater in our lifetime

How does a man disappear for years, come back for one movie and scoop the Oscars. How?

About Denzel, don't piss man off. Early Denzel was good with different roles. Since training day all he's played is.. just Denzel :|

Can't remember what i was watching but someone was tryin to be an actor an the tutor asked what this person thought made a good actor. The person said suttin about bein able to change an pretend

The tutor said the best actor is able to bring himself into the role. An i think denzel has done this from the beginning. He brings himself and enhances the story. Thats why we connect cos there is a genuineness. Same with LDC

3 hours ago, Drift said:

Impossible to rank actors as it's all subjective but Tom Hardy and Gary Oldman are up there for me.

I rate actors that are able to completely transform and become their character, that's why I never got the love for DiCaprio.

Imo hardy is another great because he draws out a piece of him an puts it in the character. From hansom Bob to Bronson these are pieces of him

Krays was one of the greatest display of actin skill i ever seen