VIP2 MOVIE CLUB

Guest David Braund

watched black dynamite last night....didn't realy find it that funny.... some of you might like it tho....http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1190536/got 7.7 for some reason :-sanybody seen 'Ink'? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1071804/

one of them cult indie flick, should be worth a watch.
Ink was a weird film at first, but once you get into it, it pans out.Would recommend. :D

More films I've seen recentlyHarry Brown - Enjoyable urban western, carried entirely by the primeval urge to watch Michael Caine f*ck sh*t up. Much like Gran Torino/Eastwood in that sense. Visuals are compellingly ugly, grimey and cold, the gang characters were suitably menacing and pernicious, and the police were bumbling and cartoonish. Plan B did well in a limeted role. Not sure it's a frightfully urgent and important treatise as the Daily Mail etc proclaim, and I didn't like how quickly and neatly it wrapped up. But it's great fun to just watch Caine brutally kill some contemptible cunts. "You've failed to maintain your weapon, son" is up there with the classic MC lines.Fantastic Mr Fox - Really fantastic. Loved the stop-motion animation and the tweedy aesthetics. Gave the film a real autumnal warmth and charm, and distinguished it from the dime-a-dozen CGI fests. Clooney, Streep and Murray were standouts, but the performances were uniformly good, and the animal characterisations were sick. Great adaptation, genuinely funny from start to finish. Dahl does dis.Dead Man Running - Awful. Even the unintentional hilarity of the acting, plot devices and script couldn't redeem it. Avoid.Up! - Pixar does it again. Brilliant wordless introductory sequence, and a plot which you wouldn't expect to work, but does. Fun, funny, stunning visuals. Go see it in 3D, it's very worth it.The Men Who Stare At Goats - Amusing, and excellent over the first half, but spluttered and stalled before the end. Clooney does really well, Bridges is in Lebowski mode. But throughout the film, the wackiness was played up, which really wasn't necessary, given the inherently farcical nature of the source story. The book is whimsical and funny, but troubling and important - the film misses nearly all of this, and demotes itself to wringing slapstick out of the absurd moments and two-dimensional characters. The direction was very much Coen-lite. The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus - Certainly not a polished affair, but all the more intriguing for its thrown-together nature. Madcap, ambitious, visually captivating, but subject to a disjointedness which never really shakes for me. It's most interesting as a sort of eulogic testament to Ledger, but you feel like not enough got done before he passed, and his accent frequently snaps us out of his character anyway. Tom Waits as the Devil is the best part. I'm not averse to engaging a confusing film - but when the central feature is the flamboyant, jumbled incoherence, it's hard to take the story as it's intended. It had a lot of promise, but probably should have been left on the shelf after Ledger's death.

More films I've seen recentlyHarry Brown - Enjoyable urban western, carried entirely by the primeval urge to watch Michael Caine f*ck sh*t up. Much like Gran Torino/Eastwood in that sense. Visuals are compellingly ugly, grimey and cold, the gang characters were suitably menacing and pernicious, and the police were bumbling and cartoonish. Plan B did well in a limeted role. Not sure it's a frightfully urgent and important treatise as the Daily Mail etc proclaim, and I didn't like how quickly and neatly it wrapped up. But it's great fun to just watch Caine brutally kill some contemptible cunts. "You've failed to maintain your weapon, son" is up there with the classic MC lines.Fantastic Mr Fox - Really fantastic. Loved the stop-motion animation and the tweedy aesthetics. Gave the film a real autumnal warmth and charm, and distinguished it from the dime-a-dozen CGI fests. Clooney, Streep and Murray were standouts, but the performances were uniformly good, and the animal characterisations were sick. Great adaptation, genuinely funny from start to finish. Dahl does dis.Dead Man Running - Awful. Even the unintentional hilarity of the acting, plot devices and script couldn't redeem it. Avoid.Up! - Pixar does it again. Brilliant wordless introductory sequence, and a plot which you wouldn't expect to work, but does. Fun, funny, stunning visuals. Go see it in 3D, it's very worth it.The Men Who Stare At Goats - Amusing, and excellent over the first half, but spluttered and stalled before the end. Clooney does really well, Bridges is in Lebowski mode. But throughout the film, the wackiness was played up, which really wasn't necessary, given the inherently farcical nature of the source story. The book is whimsical and funny, but troubling and important - the film misses nearly all of this, and demotes itself to wringing slapstick out of the absurd moments and two-dimensional characters. The direction was very much Coen-lite. The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus - Certainly not a polished affair, but all the more intriguing for its thrown-together nature. Madcap, ambitious, visually captivating, but subject to a disjointedness which never really shakes for me. It's most interesting as a sort of eulogic testament to Ledger, but you feel like not enough got done before he passed, and his accent frequently snaps us out of his character anyway. Tom Waits as the Devil is the best part. I'm not averse to engaging a confusing film - but when the central feature is the flamboyant, jumbled incoherence, it's hard to take the story as it's intended. It had a lot of promise, but probably should have been left on the shelf after Ledger's death.
Brilliant reviews but I'm a bit pissed off you've persuaded me to go see "Up." My girl has wanted both of us to see it for ages and I thought the only reason she was trying to drag me there was to dent my manliness but everyone seems to rate it.

It's similar to Gran Torino in the "retired warrior fed up with local goons" aspect. But they aren't the same story, and Harry Brown has a grittier tone with less emphasis on character arc. Comparisons are natural though. You can detect the zeal of a first-time director on Harry Brown, as opposed to Eastwood's seasoned maturity. Very enjoyable film all the same.

Brilliant reviews but I'm a bit pissed off you've persuaded me to go see "Up." My girl has wanted both of us to see it for ages and I thought the only reason she was trying to drag me there was to dent my manliness but everyone seems to rate it.
You can always trust Pixar - their triumph rate is ludicrously high (Cars being the only letdown). Their storytelling is good enough to draw in adults as well as kids.See it on your own and don't tell your woman.

Avatar looks siiiiccckkkwent and saw 4th kind on friday, film was f*ck*ng sick ending weren't too great but it was a good film the fact that they used proper real video recordings and audio along with acting as a proper movie was sick.c/s the Up wave film was sick