Ravel Morrison Watch

Mame Biram Diouf

West Ham midfielder Ravel Morrison has a great chance to earn a place in England's World Cup squad, according to manager Sam Allardyce.

Allardyce dismissed the coming together with Zaha as "handbags" before suggesting a place in Roy Hodgson's World Cup squad is not beyond the reach of Morrison.

"It's a little early to tell," said Allardyce. "But I think if he continues to be a regular player with our first team then I can't see any reason why he wouldn't get noticed and maybe be pushing that way.

"But, at the moment, he's just started with the Under-21s and, of course, he's played well in those games but they were little or no competition there so I'd have expected that."

But Allardyce is also keen to play down expectations for Morrison as he does not want unwelcome distractions.

"I have to be careful with the amount of publicity that Rav gets," the Hammers boss added.

"To make sure that we just continue his growth slowly and continue him playing in the team to the level he's playing and try to get him better and then there is no

distraction that might put a young man off at this stage of his career, which can happen.

"They can have their ups and downs, they burst on to the scene, they can get lavished with praise and then lose their focus and, when they lose their focus, they can dip away again, and I don't really want that."

*I'm trying to get the headlines so David will notice me and this brudda's f*cking it up....Nah I've got to address this sh*t fam*

"Yo Ravel...."

Zaha had demanded the ball from Morrison, who scored twice, at various times during Tuesday's 5-0 win at Portman Road and so asked him to explain why he had ignored his pleas. There followed a scuffle in which Morrison, who has appeared to find a renewed focus following several off-field incidents when a United player, grabbed Zaha.

Yet after the European Championship qualifier the pair shook hands near the team coach and joked about the bust-up, with it being understood there is no continuing ill-feeling between them.

Gareth Southgate, the new under-21 manager, admitted that he faces a challenge to ensure there is no repeat from any of his players and that he can build unity. "It's my job to bring them together as a group, which is going to be a test. We spoke about being a team before the game. We know the potential of the group of individuals.

"The key now is how we come together as a team and that will take time because there is a lot of focus on individuals. Sometimes there is pressure on individuals and one or two of those had a point to prove and did that very well."

Nathan Redmond, the Norwich City winger who separated Zaha and Morrison, said: "It was just a bit of a disagreement, nothing else. We got back in the changing room and sorted it out. You get that with teams everywhere, there is just a bit more of spotlight on this incident because it was for England. We sorted it out behind the scenes."

Redmond hinted at the root of the problem Zaha had with Morrison: "Rav's a class player, sometimes he just has to move the ball a little bit quicker. Sometimes you do get a little bit frustrated with him but you just have to let Rav be Rav because of the things he is capable of."

tumblr_lmdlu6fMoi1qcjzcm.gif

• Upvote 1

Yet Hodgson, who bounced Everton's Ross Barkley straight from the Under-20 World Cup into his squad for all this season's qualifiers, is urging caution.

"I know Ravel Morrison is a player who interests you all," said Hodgson. "He interests us as well because the lad has got fantastic talent.

"Saido Berahino, whom I know well from my West Brom days, has been a breath of fresh air too.

"I do like the way the Under-21s play. With their movements and passing ideas it is a mirror image of what we are trying to do.

"But, to be fair, San Marino and Lithuania Under-21s are not quite the same level as we are talking about with the England senior team.

"And I have to say, (Danny) Welbeck, (Kyle) Walker, (Jack) Wilshere, even to some extent Ross Barkley, have proved they can do it.

"So these young lads have a few of their own to get past before we even start talking about

PMSL, mirror image yeah?

Hodgson after the Ukraine game: 

In a slightly testy exchange during the newspapers’ briefing, Hodgson reacted stiffly to the "why did you not keep the ball better?" question. "You're going down the wrong route there for me,’’ he replied. "Did we play longer balls forward early? Yes, we did. That was a tactical change. We didn't want to play out from the back and invite the pressure from a very strong pressurising team.’’

'I have to be careful how much I talk about him as I must protect him and be cautious,' said Allardyce, who took Morrison from United in January 2012. 'But, of course, I'm excited. There is nothing better than hearing people praise your players.

'Fergie just told me he needed to get Rav out of Manchester. That lifestyle and that group of people he was brought up with wasn't helping him. But he said I had a chance with him because he was an unbelievable talent.

'Certainly, we had early problems with him and his self-discipline and self-organisation. He just wasn't functioning properly. He was always late, his diet was bad.

'There was a time when I wondered if maybe it wouldn't work, that I couldn't do it with him. The problem was that he thought he was coming here to play in the first team. Then he wasn't in the team and he wasn't interested.

'Players like Kevin Nolan and Mark Noble actually told him, "You have no chance". He didn't take it well. He had been told so many times that he was so good that he thought he could breeze it.

'Really gifted young players can lack the desire, edge and dedication. And that was Rav. It's a player's brain that makes him a top player. So we got him a loan at Birmingham and they had the same problem until they had injuries and he got in the team and stayed in.

'So he came back pre-season and from day one we were, like, "Woah". He has learned. He is tracking back, he is working. No longer walking.

'If I look at him, he is an 80 per cent different person. He walks in, he communicates, he isn't late as much. He is still late sometimes but they all are. But Rav is enjoying himself. I won't know how he reacts to being rested until it happens. It will be interesting.

'He will get mentally fatigued by the Premier League. It's a cauldron every Saturday. It's ferocious and unforgiving. On a young player that takes its toll.'

looked tired against city, although the moments of quality invariably came from him and noble

When Joe Cole gets back in, it will be interesting to see how spam play, they should play a bit more

Morrison, Poggy & Adnan = 3 genuine talents that have emerged from the Utd youth/ressies in the past few years, bet Utd fans are pissed only 1 plays for them

• 4 weeks later...

what a d*ckhead :lol:

hope he keeps his head down

• 2 months later...

about to join qpr on loan... guardian are saying west ham are forcing him out cos he doesnt want to sign with allardyce and nolans agent

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/feb/15/ravel-morrison-west-ham-united-waste#show-all

Towards the end of last year, Morrison was invited to a meeting with the football agent Mark Curtis to see if he wanted to become one of his clients. Curtis does this a fair bit with Allardyce's players. At West Ham, he either represents or has links with Allardyce, Kevin Nolan, James Tomkins, Jack Collison, Matt Jarvis, Andy Carroll, Jussi Jaaskelainen and Adrian. Look through his history and there is a fairly astounding pattern of players signing up to him from Allardyce teams. He also has a chequered past of his own, with an official warning from the Football Association after the 2008 investigation into Luton Town's illegal transfer dealings.

Morrison was not keen but, since then, his complaint is that he has felt under considerable pressure from Allardyce and Nolan to change his mind, claiming it is brought up on an almost daily basis. His grievance is that he wanted to go into training to learn and improve, not to have endless conversations about an agent he did not want to employ.

West Ham have put this to the relevant people and they strenuously deny it. Curtis says it is "nonsense", and there is no suggestion of any wrongdoing. But Morrison has become disillusioned with his manager and captain. Allardyce has talked of Morrison complaining about a groin injury when the medical staff could find no problem. Relationships have broken down. A few months ago, Morrison appeared to have the keys to the football universe. Now he cannot wait to get out of the club.

The issue has been discussed as high as it goes at Upton Park. Morrison was advised by one senior figure to put in a transfer request but decided against it. Fulham put in a £4m bid and West Ham reported them to the Premier League for alleged tapping up because of René Meulensteen saying he knew Morrison wanted to join them. The dispute may have put off Fulham from making an improved offer – West Ham wanted £10m – but no one should be too surprised if the complaint ultimately comes to nothing. The relevant people at Craven Cottage believe they have hard evidence, in line with this newspaper's information, that Morrison had been informed he should look for another club. If that is proven, West Ham's complaint will look hollow, to say the least. It will also leave their co-owners, David Sullivan and David Gold, with some awkward questions to answer.