Moving Out

Bruno Di Gradi

Finally got a completion date of this Friday!!!

Bought a 2 double bedroom flat for £75,000. £30,000 of savings and a £45,000 mortgage.

Mortgage only works out at £308 a month for 5 years then £342 for 11 years. 16 years in total.

Do not know where to begin with furniture purchases, changing energy providers etc etc. as this is my first time leaving the family home.

Any pointers would be great.

Go high street or look online at places that offer interest free and/or buy now, pay next year etc...

I'm with E On, bar one incident they been good.

Thanks LS.

I'm guessing you are buying in London?

The difference is house prices is ridiculous really. How much would a large 2 double bedroom flat be in London (6 miles to the centre).

And Dub, I've signed up to both of those sites through your referrals so you should have some cashback.

The difference is house prices is ridiculous really. How much would a large 2 double bedroom flat be in London (6 miles to the centre).

OK...so the centre of London is traditionally viewed as Charing Cross. 

6miles in all four main directions gives you the following properties (all the cheapest in the areas according to a major online agent):

West: Acton

69382_674566_IMG_00_0001_max_656x437.jpg

£215,000

East: Poplar

11799_0249_HRT024907317_IMG_02_0000_max_

11799_0249_HRT024907317_IMG_05_0000_max_

£250,000

North: Muswell Hill

1919_MUH102224_IMG_00_0000_max_135x100.j

1919_MUH102224_IMG_01_0000_max_135x100.j

£250,000

South: Thornton Heath

57181_28839_IMG_00_0000_max_135x100.jpg

11543_0214_HRT021407588_IMG_05_0000_max_

£150,000

(Sorry about picture size)

them ends all got shit links to everywhere @ niall

Wow at those up north prices

I can't be comparing anymore because it will bring a tear to my eye seeing what you get up there

Recently bought a flat here in north/east London (end of victoria line) for 220k+ after searching for nearly a year. Moved in a month ago.

The whole experience from start to finish has been frustrating

Lol, does come across long winded actually.

Didn't mean for it too.

how do pay mortagage bills and then all your living expenses and still save cash ?

I manage to put money away each month but its not much. Plus costs are between me and my wife.

Student loan owes me a fuck load and have been taking loads out of my salary (the corrupt fucks) so hen that's sorted that's all automatically going into savings.

The worst thing about the whole property bullshit is that I know I'm being fucked over but it's do something now or be left behind. I already regret not jumping on 7+ years ago. It would have been very tough but probably do able and i would be better off now.

Anyone else watch this?

Dispatches investigates the consequences of rapid house price rises, for buyers and sellers, and asks how 2014's property boom will change the face of our towns and cities

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/on-demand/59622-001

Very sobering. I think London is done as a place to settle down unless you already have a place or the dosh to compete as some of the places shown in this were a pisstake for the asking price. I also love how the Chinese are quietly buying up loads of new builds to do buy to let. 

Anyone else watch this?

Dispatches investigates the consequences of rapid house price rises, for buyers and sellers, and asks how 2014's property boom will change the face of our towns and cities

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/on-demand/59622-001

Very sobering. I think London is done as a place to settle down unless you already have a place or the dosh to compete as some of the places shown in this were a pisstake for the asking price. I also love how the Chinese are quietly buying up loads of new builds to do buy to let. 

London is becoming a survival of the fittest...how life should be (with the exception of those with mental and physical health problems).

thing is Boris was supposed to make it a fair playing ground for UK heads to buy new builds, but they're still being advertised to the Chinese weeks before us

Boris can't really do much about it, despite what people think.

The free market is the free market. That said, I do think Boris's mate in Downing Street (who has way more power) will do something about it, eventually. Or at least try. 

I'm excited by the fact it's so difficult to buy a property in London. Since that is one of my goals in the next few years (Zone 1 or Zone 2), it just means I have to go hard, or go home...literally, back up north. If I don't achieve my goal, I'll still have a ton of cash in the bank AND I'd have learnt some important things along the way.

Effectively, what I'm saying is that I see the London housing situation as a challenge.