Week 07 - 12/13 - Premier League / El Clasico

User

Them ones where I'm pissed off about the team sheet before I've even seen it

Already know Fergie is gonna do something stupid

/

Static, slow motion zombie passing

Is it just me, or is anyone else not really a big fan of this new, ultra depressing method of football we seem to have invented since around the time of the Liverpool game at OT last season, and have worryingly carried into the pre-season with us?

Basically, all of our players stand perfectly still, except for the one who actually has the ball (and Danny Welbeck). Then the one with the ball just passes it sideways to the person next to him, who maybe moves a little bit, and then passes it sideways to the person next to him again, really slowly.

This then carries on for a bit until Scholes picks it up and spanks a diagonal pass to the person standing perfectly still on the wing, despite the fact they're marked, due to being stood completely still the whole time...then they either put an unthreatening ball into the box or just pass it back to the person inside them again.

At no point is this done at any kind of threatening pace or involving any form of off the ball movement at all.

What's the thinking behind it? Do we think it makes us look like Spain? Only, Spain constantly have three or four people moving and running off and around the ball. We just have Danny Welbeck or Kagawa, trying to create space for themselves, by themselves.

If we don't play with a 3 man midfield of Carrick, Anderson and Cleverley I fully expect us to play like this today and get bullied in midfield by Tiote and Cabaye again and If we do win I can see it being down to 1 or 2 individual performances rather than the whole team outplaying Newcastle.

there goes adkins resting players again

Them ones where I'm pissed off about the team sheet before I've even seen it

Already know Fergie is gonna do something stupid

/

Static, slow motion zombie passing

Is it just me, or is anyone else not really a big fan of this new, ultra depressing method of football we seem to have invented since around the time of the Liverpool game at OT last season, and have worryingly carried into the pre-season with us?

Basically, all of our players stand perfectly still, except for the one who actually has the ball (and Danny Welbeck). Then the one with the ball just passes it sideways to the person next to him, who maybe moves a little bit, and then passes it sideways to the person next to him again, really slowly.

This then carries on for a bit until Scholes picks it up and spanks a diagonal pass to the person standing perfectly still on the wing, despite the fact they're marked, due to being stood completely still the whole time...then they either put an unthreatening ball into the box or just pass it back to the person inside them again.

At no point is this done at any kind of threatening pace or involving any form of off the ball movement at all.

What's the thinking behind it? Do we think it makes us look like Spain? Only, Spain constantly have three or four people moving and running off and around the ball. We just have Danny Welbeck or Kagawa, trying to create space for themselves, by themselves.

If we don't play with a 3 man midfield of Carrick, Anderson and Cleverley I fully expect us to play like this today and get bullied in midfield by Tiote and Cabaye again and If we do win I can see it being down to 1 or 2 individual performances rather than the whole team outplaying Newcastle.

That quote is spot on. The other problem we have is the Wayne Rooney black hole effect. Whenever he's playing. Guys will look to him even when he's not in space. Guys will give him the ball whenever he demands it, even in ridiculous positions where there is no way he can do anything with it. However when Welbeck, kagawa, Cleverley and even RVP are in similar or better positions, they are ignored. United have the personnel to play ball. But recently the tempo and imagination shown has been poor.