Arsenal 2014/15 Thread

Seth Rollins

This 4141 has managed to weaken our defence and attack at the same time

>>>>>>>>> wenger

Arteta and mertesacker stay getting exposed in the big games

Can't believe wenger still told Gibbs and bellerin to stay pushing up knowing how Dortmund play

guy genuinely tells the team to 'go out and play your game'

Not feeling this new formation at all.  Its all paper over cracks for not signing a proper DM this summer.

Seems like we have take 2 steps back this season.

Ozil on the left is not going to work.

Not sure what sanchez role is. He is tracking back alot more than going forward. Not his fault.

Welbeck as a lone striker isn't going to work.  He needs support.

Missing giroud already tbh.

Oxlade should be starting and all..

This 4141 has managed to weaken our defence and attack at the same time

>>>>>>>>> wenger

Arteta and mertesacker stay getting exposed in the big games

Can't believe wenger still told Gibbs and bellerin to stay pushing up knowing how Dortmund play

guy genuinely tells the team to 'go out and play your game'

The heatmap is embarrassing.

The fullbacks high as wingers.

Jack & Aaron playing as two #10s.

Didn't manage to catch the game, heard Ozil put in the hollowest man of performances to date.

There was a worse

Wenger needs to drop Ramsey if ever a numbers game got the media/fans gassed

Playing a goalscoring midfielder as a number #10 has never worked

our 10s play wing

our 8s play 10

our full backs play wing

our wide men are on the bench

failed playmaker at dm by himself

shambles

wenger aint gonna change it either.

from the beginnig i had a bad feeling about this season. signings bought in early, fitness coach in... something HAD to be wrong.

• Upvote 1

Ozil is looking the worst option out of

Podolski (yes)

Sanchez

Wilshere

Ramsey

Ox

Cazorla

Walcott (hasn't played in half a year)

Everytime he touches the ball or misplaces a pass the crowd is on his back

He's ruined tbh

Option in terms of what, a wide role?

He's not being managed well enough IMO. I had my suspicions when we signed him (even though I was ELATED at the time) and it's only been confirmed not so much by his ability but his character/personality that he isn't a talismanic player so building a team around him may not be the wisest thing to do.

I'm not a fan of building a team around any player TBH unless they're godly i.e. Messi, CR7, etc.

Ozil is looking the worst option out of

Podolski (yes)

Sanchez

Wilshere

Ramsey

Ox

Cazorla

Walcott (hasn't played in half a year)

Everytime he touches the ball or misplaces a pass the crowd is on his back

He's ruined tbh

Option in terms of what, a wide role?

He's not being managed well enough IMO. I had my suspicions when we signed him (even though I was ELATED at the time) and it's only been confirmed not so much by his ability but his character/personality that he isn't a talismanic player so building a team around him may not be the wisest thing to do.

I'm not a fan of building a team around any player TBH unless they're godly i.e. Messi, CR7, etc.

Any role of the front 3 

He is a number 10, so should play behind the striker - I don't feel this attempted experiment with fluidity with himself, Sanchez & whoever else constantly swapping is a good idea, Sanchez should play from the right, Ozil the centre and Cazorla the left for now

IF Ozil was in form, but he's not, he literally looks absolutely appalling - he struggles to make simple passes at times, fumbles with the ball at his feet, when he has an option to play the ball through it'll go wrong

He is a counter-attacking playmaker....when he can't play in this role he just floats about the field retaining possession with no confidence to make something happen like some Turkish Michael Carrick

Cazorla has been in form I see no reason for him not starting in his place other than hoping Ozil comes up with a morale-boosting performance and not wanting to waste £40m

• Upvote 1

Proper banter in regards to blaming the 4-1-4-1 system.

The system isn't the be all & end all of a team's strategy. For example, we've been caught out in defensive transition in a few games this season with the 4-1-4-1 but I can name you a plethora of occasions last season with a 4-2-3-1 system where that was also the case.

The point I'm making, the formation isn't anywhere near our biggest problem. Our playing philosophy (or a lack of one) is our biggest problem. 

Every top side in Europe, the ones who play at the level we aspire to be i.e. Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atletico, Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund, Chelsea, etc all have a clear, distinct playing style. You watch them & if you observe well enough, you can identify what their strategy is in the 4 phases of the game: attacking organisation, defensive transition, defensive organisation & attacking transition.

Honestly, with Arsenal, can we all identify what the team is supposed to do in those moments? Can we see any consistent patterns of play? I definitely can't. For example, if you study the 4-1-4-1 formation implemented by a possession-based team which we're supposed to be, you'll know that in the attacking build-up from deep, the 2 CB's split, with about 30 metres between them, the DM drops deep, effectively becoming a 3rd CB, the 2 FB's push high & wide & importantly, the 2 CM's remain fixed, positioning themselves more or less on either end of the semi-circle in the middle of the pitch. Simple positional play, creating width (full-backs as the wide outlets) & depth (CM's as the forward outlets). This also creates simple triangles, that if rehearsed means if anyone of these 7 outfield players mentioned receive the ball, they know innately where the ball should go.

Suffice to say, when Arsenal were in THIS phase of play last night, there was no such shape. Positional play was a myth therefore it had a direct impact on the attacking build up phase. Which means what? If the attacking organisation is disorganised, a team is more likely to concede possession easily & will have a detrimental effect on the defensive transition because players are out of shape. ALL FOUR PHASES ARE INEXTRICABLY LINKED.

So I say all this to highlight that a team's structure or formation is actually a small part of the equation. Our overall game model is what's important.

• Upvote 1