Should Ched Evans, previously convicted of rape, be allowed to play professional football again?

kerser

4 minutes ago, FA23 said:

Must be fucking fuming in reality. Would be a a championship striker at least and would have played in a Euros. Got failed the first time round.

Should have a hefty pay check coming his way.

Trust me

From when Robson fucking Kanu is in the Prem. 

/

Where's that c*nt Jessica Ennis?

• Upvote 1

The international footballer Ched Evans has been found not guilty at his retrial of raping a 19-year-old waitress in a hotel room after a drunken night out with former club-mates.

Evans spent two and a half years in prison for rape but his original conviction was quashed by the appeal court following a high-profile and well-funded campaign by family and friends that included the offer of a £50,000 reward for information leading to his acquittal.

The jury at Cardiff crown court took two hours to acquit Evans. He kept his head down as the male jury foreman returned the unanimous verdict.

Applause could be heard from the public gallery following the acquittal. Mrs Justice Nicola Davies told him: “Mr Evans, you are discharged and you can leave the dock.”

Evans then rushed from the dock into the arms of his girlfriend, Natasha Massey. Both sobbed as the judge thanked the jury and the barristers. She said: “This case has been conducted out in the public gaze.”

In a statement read outside the court by his solicitor, Shaun Draycott, Evans said he was “overwhelmed with relief” following the verdict. He thanked his friends and family, “most notably my fiancee, Natasha, who chose, perhaps incredibly, to support me in my darkest hour”.

Evans stood by his lawyer shaking as the statement concluded: “Whilst my innocence has now been established, I wish to make it clear that I wholeheartedly apologise to anyone who might have been affected by the events of the night in question.”

A spokesman for Evans said he would now return to football – though he is currently nursing an injury.

The appeal was allowed after judges gave the go-ahead for two former sexual partners of the complainant to give explicit evidence in court about her sex life, a rare move that has been widely condemned by women’s support groups and campaigners.

One group, Women Against Rape (WAR), told the Guardian the decision “drove a coach and horses” through legislation designed to protect victims and could stop other abused women coming forward for fear they would be quizzed about their sex lives.

It can now be revealed that:

• During the appeal case that led to the retrial, lawyers for the crown suggested the two new witnesses may have been “fed” information by those close to Evans. This claim was rejected by Evans’s side.
  • Evans’s fiancee, Massey, was accused in legal argument during the second trial of offering an “inducement” to a key witness. The prosecution said this had “the flavour of a bribe”. The trial judge disagreed with this description.
  • The appeal court judges, whose decision can be reported for the first time, expressed “a considerable degree of hesitation” before allowing in the new evidence of the former partners because it resulted in the complainant’s sexual behaviour being subject to forensic scrutiny – which is almost always banned.
  • The complainant continues to be named and abused on social media though the law gives her lifelong anonymity. The police are investigating one blog that identified her during the trial.

The woman told the jury she woke up naked in a hotel room in Rhyl, north Wales, in May 2011 with no memory of what had happened but fearing she had been attacked after her drinks were spiked.

Evans, who has played for Manchester City, Sheffield United and Wales, insisted he and his friend and fellow footballer Clayton McDonald had consensual sex with the woman.

He told the jury McDonald was having sex with her when he walked into the hotel room. He claimed the pair looked at him and McDonald asked the woman: “Can my mate join in?” Evans said the woman replied: “Yes.”

The prosecution said she could not possibly have consented to sex as she was too intoxicated.

In court, Evans admitted he lied to get the key for the hotel room and did not speak to her before, during or after sex. He left via a fire exit. It also emerged that Evans’ younger brother and another man were trying to film what was happening from outside the room.

Friends of the woman encouraged her to go to the police to report how she had woken up with no memory of what happened to her, believing her drinks had been spiked. She went to a police station and officers found out that the in which room she woke up had been booked and paid for by Evans. He was questioned by police and admitted he had sex with her – but claimed it was consensual.

When he was interviewed by police Evans boasted that he and McDonald could have had any woman they wanted in the club that night. “Footballers are rich and they have money,” he said. “That is what girls like.”

Lisa Longstaff, of WAR, said the case seemed a “throwback to another time”. She said: “The whole way the case has been handled trivialises rape and puts women off reporting. They know that if they come forward they are going to be trashed.”

Section 41 of the Youth and Criminal Evidence Act 1999 puts stringent restrictions on what evidence can be put before a court by the defence about an alleged victim’s sexual behaviour and questioning of the complainant.

“But it has all these exceptions, and clever lawyers can get round it,” said Longstaff. “Here they’ve driven a coach and horses through the supposed protection. It’s a classic defence tactic. They bring in previous partners to trash her character.”

She added: “This trial has been a throwback to bad times when women were the ones on trial and had no say in a sexual encounter.”

A feminist activist who goes by the pseudonym Jean Hatchet and was behind petitions asking football clubs not to sign Evans following his jail term, told the Guardian it was “deeply worrying” that evidence about a victim’s sexual history had been permitted.

She said: “This has no bearing on whether a woman was consenting to a totally different sexual experience at all.

“More worryingly, this will set precedent in rape cases to follow where defence barristers will comb through an alleged victim’s sexual past and following the alleged assault at a time when they are suffering trauma. Women who have been raped have sex before they are raped and they have sex afterwards.

“Many victims and survivors of rape have followed this case from the original arrest and many more in the intervening years. They have been hanging on every word.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/oct/14/footballer-ched-evans-cleared-of-in-retrial?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_b-gdnnews#link_time=1476453828

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

34Mbit
Bristol
27m

Let's not forget the evidence found by a NYC firefighter, who dug up an archived copy of the woman's Twitter, where she bragged about having sex with Ched and 'buying all her friends Minis'.

tweedflatcap
26m

Is this for real?

Digging_For_Ostrich
Expat
16m

Ched Evans is currently in the process of rightfully appealing the verdict after more damning evidence has come to light — In particular a series of tweets from the victim she sent to her inner circle of friends about how she would spend when she ‘won big’ five months prior to Ched Evans conviction, presumably referring to the compensation she would be receiving from the now “disgraced” footballer

‘Remind me never to tell @XXXXXXX when I win big!….. She’s going to kill me! #scaredformylife! Haha!’

‘@XXXXXXX I will get us matching pink Mini Coopers! Haha! Just seen them pictures on Facebook, I forgot bout XXXXXXX! Haha! X’

‘@XXXXXXX I’ll make all your dreams come true XXXXXXX haha.’ ‘@XXXXXXX aww,well obvs I’d treat us to an amazing holiday x’.

Supporters of the girl claim these tweets never existed, and it was only due to the hacking skills of a New York based fire fighter interested in the civil liberty aspect of the case who unearthed the only remaining copies in the cached copy of her account on a FrenchTwitter server.

Taken from http://sonarz.com/is-ched-evans-innocent/

Another link which discusses it, but the link to the source it provides is now broken. I presume because of legal reasons.https://viewfromanobody.wordpress.com/2015/01/10/more-on-ched-evans/

• Upvote 2

Thats is FUCKED.

/

Them feminists wanna talk about trivialising rape when that is exactly what they are doing by vilifying innocent men.

15 minutes ago, Afroman said:

Even wilder salts on LBC. ladies calling in saying. ' Now, women would look at that verdict and will be scared of reporting rape'.

I kinda hear their point, But they were all dismissive on the damages false accusations cause.

More like those who are falsely claiming rape will be put off.

• Upvote 3

"The jury was told she had slept with another man two days before Evans.

It was told about similar things she had said during sex with another lover.

And told how once before she had woken after sex unsure of what had happened the previous night.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

I accept all of those things may be true."

Favourite female word

"But...." 

^

Don't be silly...

P.s. to the people asking about the 2 former partners thing; one guy slept with her the night before and the other guy 2 weeks later.

Both said she was drunk/drinking at the time but consented, both occasions she asked for the backshot and used a particular phrase

Ched didn't ask permission when he entered the hotel room, she assumed the position and said the same thing.

14 hours ago, Afgoon said:

And in this one verdict I don’t think I exaggerate in claiming it takes the work of police and charities back at least a decade in their work to improve the shockingly poor rates of convictions for rape.

That's how you know these lot are nutters.

How can you want to IMPROVE conviction rates? 

How can your objective be to see more men serve time in prison for a particular offense? Lunatics. 

1 hour ago, DRC said:

^

P.s. to the people asking about the 2 former partners thing; one guy slept with her the night before and the other guy 2 weeks later.

Both said she was drunk/drinking at the time but consented, both occasions she asked for the backshot and used a particular phrase

Ched didn't ask permission when he entered the hotel room, she assumed the position and said the same thing.

This is no different to a character reference imo.

Those two man basically confirmed the character that the defence were trying to put across she was from day.

nothing wrong with that at all.

• Upvote 1

yes he should be allowed. It is sad how a man is accused of rape, found not guilty and people still call him a rapist. I got banned on the website mumsnet because I said he was not guilty period. Feminist so quick to run around calling men rapist but never want to call out women who lie about it!

I know 2 women who have all lied about being raped for attention be careful out there men there are some very bitter bitches around 

but also know when a women tells you NO or has had sex with you before and says NO you do not go on to touch her - I have been in this situation with a man who i had sex with before and met up with him so he could drop me home, I hadnt had sex with him for a year when he picked me up but he rather than drive me home he drove to a park and tried to force his hands down my trousers whilst fighting him off he did stop however when driving home he said to me before I got out how he doesnt have sex with people then decide he doesnt want to anymore like because i had sex with him once before it means anytime he sees me its a go area. Scary guy used to stalk me as well