Notting Hill Carnival / Bank Holiday Weekend 2014

Ephren Taylor

Sole is right.

Carnival is a wash out ( No pun)

Last 6/7 years I only visited after parties. Aaprt from 2011 that I briefly reached towards the end.

I have been going carnival since late 80s/ early 90s when  my pop used to carry me on his shoulders. We used to travel all the way from Leeds to London.

It was very rich in culture. The afro carribean community really held things down. Then moving on to the late 90s/early 2000s the westwood stage with yank artists  (Busta, Dmx,  wyclef & de la soul) coming to perform used to be the highlight. TV coverage used to be live. Eventually that got locked off.  costumes started looking mad tacky and very budget. After a while it became a place to link old friends and stuff

But hey what do you expect. A lot of sponsors have pulled out and thats what happens when black folks seek hand outs to run their events.  London has changed  though its alot more diverse which is cool. But Carnival now is all communities coming in doing their own seperate thing Thats what it will eventually turn to..

I cant knock these hippys too tough. To be fair these man have had enough of the Carnival and what things moved else where and there presence is what his keeping things running  down west at the mo.

Not my cup of tea. But enjoy

Sole is right.

Carnival is a wash out ( No pun)

Last 6/7 years I only visited after parties. Aaprt from 2011 that I briefly reached towards the end.

I have been going carnival since late 80s/ early 90s when  my pop used to carry me on his shoulders. We used to travel all the way from Leeds to London.

It was very rich in culture. The afro carribean community really held things down. Then moving on to the late 90s/early 2000s the westwood stage with yank artists  (Busta, Dmx,  wyclef & de la soul) coming to perform used to be the highlight. TV coverage used to be live. Eventually that got locked off.  costumes started looking mad tacky and very budget. After a while it became a place to link old friends and stuff

But hey what do you expect. A lot of sponsors have pulled out and thats what happens when black folks seek hand outs to run their events.  London has changed  though its alot more diverse which is cool. But Carnival now is all communities coming in doing their own seperate thing Thats what it will eventually turn to..

I cant knock these hippys too tough. To be fair these man have had enough of the Carnival and what things moved else where and there presence is what his keeping things running  down west at the mo.

Not my cup of tea. But enjoy

c/s this and sole tbh

carnival is just looking like basildon envy nowdays tbh

The one good thing I will mention is the Feds didn't act up from what i saw, especially over the balloons like I thought they would.

Read that they're clamping down on it more from an illegal trading point of view

Also cos security seemed to be throwing out people selling them at the couple of festivals I went to this year.

festivals are private that's why security can chuck people out for it, police on the street can't do a thing because its not illegal

its illegal to sell to under 18s and I think that's as far as the law should go, its not really hurting anyone, its just a bit unpleasant to watch