Week 04 - 14/15 Premier League / CL & Europa

User

I don't think I've ever seen a defender worse with the ball at his feet than Sakho

Stop watching how he looks and focus on the passes that put whoever he's playing for on the front foot in an instant, you'll start to see him in a whole different light.

A lot of Liverpool fans said he reminded them of Traore which dumbfounded the others who rate him highly but after hearing it and watching him play I understood what they meant, it's the way he positions his body over the ball which gives the impression he hasn't a modicum of control or that he has a clue what he's about to do. 

I never paid it any mind because I was watching where the ball was going.

He completed 97% of his passes last night which makes your comment look a bit daft really.

I don't think I've ever seen a defender worse with the ball at his feet than Sakho

I'm still yet to see this amazing defender on the ball that a couple of L'Pool fans here have been telling me about & I'd like to think I've seen enough of him over the years i.e. PSG, France & Liverpool.

You champion Kos quite a lot as a ball playing defender, put up the criteria which you base the ratings on and put them up against each other side by side. I'm pretty sure you'll see that your opinion is guided largely by your impression rather than what the stats suggest.

I'm still yet to see this amazing defender on the ball that a couple of L'Pool fans here have been telling me about & I'd like to think I've seen enough of him over the years i.e. PSG, France & Liverpool.

You champion Kos quite a lot as a ball playing defender, put up the criteria which you base the ratings on and put them up against each other side by side. I'm pretty sure you'll see that your opinion is guided largely by your impression rather than what the stats suggest.

They don't take into account the speed with which he moves the ball, the manner in which both of them carry it out of defence, the options they tend to choose, etc.

Comparing Kos & Sakho's ball playing ability is banter, I'm sorry.

They don't take into account the speed with which he moves the ball, the manner in which both of them carry it out of defence, the options they tend to choose, etc.

Comparing Kos & Sakho's ball playing ability is banter, I'm sorry.

All those things are difficult to quantify with one particular stat but if Kos was significantly better than Sakho somewhere across the board there would be noticeable differences in their numbers yet their aren't.

Being more ponderous on the ball and more likely to choose the wrong option would without doubt have an impact on his pass completion, forward pass completion, key pass numbers and chances created numbers but he matches up well against Kos with considerably less games in every area.

He also completed more take ons than Kos (6-4) over the course of last season.

I do think there are areas of his game where he needs to improve but his ability on the ball is something I deem to be one of his strengths, how he takes players out of the game with penetrative passes was one of the first things that jumped out to me.

Sakho's appearance seems to account for a lot of what people think he does with the ball because the reality is markedly different, even looking at an article from one of Squawka's journalists you get the exact same type of arguments being put forward by you and Cipher yet absolutely nothing to back it up.

I'd love to hear why Kos is quite clearly a better ball playing centre back or even why Sakho isn't a particularly good one.