Week 18 & 19 - 13/14 Premier League - Festive Football

User

:rofl:

Suarez was unplayable against the bottom half of the table

Swear he scored like half of his goals against Wigan, Norwich and Sunderland, pmsl

fk1w6f.jpg

Best in the world they said29203r4.jpg

+1

Some things never change

/

Extraordinary goals to games ratio

Ordinary goals to 'big games' ratio

Over the years, on and off here I've seen strikers denied world class/best in the world/GOAT status because they didn't score or drag their team to victory in the big games on a consistent basis so why has Suarez been given a free pass this year?

For the record I rate Suarez and enjoy watching him play when he's at his best and counting how many nutmegs he does per game but I just disagree with the opinion that he deserved to win the pfa award last season and that he's currently best striker in the world.

• Upvote 2

Good analysis Flojo.

It's a just a shame it's from one of several big games where Suarez didn't score and ended up on the losing side.

It's a good example of the world class ability Suarez has in his locker but not good enough to back up some people's opinion that he is the 3rd best player in the world and the best striker in the world.

Falcao scored a hat-trick in a win vs Chelsea, Lewandowski scored a hat-trick in a win vs Madrid. This season Costa scored the winner vs Madrid and Rossi scored a hat-trick in a win vs Juventus. Last year at this stage of the season RVP scored in wins vs Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City.

The debate about whether he's a better 'footballer' than the players I just mentioned is for another day/thread but this is the end product in the big games that Suarez has to achieve to justify this best striker in the world talk and maybe when he joins Madrid he'll do it for a whole season but right now it's not happening.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Can't even remember the last time suarez scored in the Europa league let alone the champions league

Good analysis Flojo.

It's a just a shame it's from one of several big games where Suarez didn't score and ended up on the losing side.

It's a good example of the world class ability Suarez has in his locker but not good enough to back up some people's opinion that he is the 3rd best player in the world and the best striker in the world.

Falcao scored a hat-trick in a win vs Chelsea, Lewandowski scored a hat-trick in a win vs Madrid. This season Costa scored the winner vs Madrid and Rossi scored a hat-trick in a win vs Juventus. Last year at this stage of the season RVP scored in wins vs Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City.

The debate about whether he's a better 'footballer' than the players I just mentioned is for another day/thread but this is the end product in the big games that Suarez has to achieve to justify this best striker in the world talk and maybe when he joins Madrid he'll do it for a whole season but right now it's not happening.

And how many of the players you just mentioned were playing at a team similar to the level of Liverpool when they achieved those feats? 

People saying he's the best striker in the world are going too far in my opinion, I'd say he's in the next tier down.

I could counter your suggestion RVP is a big game player by questioning his record at major tournaments. He's scored 4 goals at 3 major international tournaments which is as many as Suarez scored in the Copa America whilst leading his team to the title and picking up the player of the tournament award.

Suarez also scored 3 goals at the last World Cup whereas RVP scored once despite playing every game in the tournament right up to the final, does that count for anything?

It's not the way you're rating these players that I take issue with it's how the criteria changes as and when it suits, maybe we should bring Rooney's record into the discussion and see how it matches up with your opinion that he's detrimental to Man Utd?