Players who stole a living

• 3 months later...

mad, fully given up on the game  :/

mad, fully given up on the game  :/

Extract from Jimmy Bullard's autobiography -

That was way too strict for my  liking. It would get to about 9pm or 10pm every night and I’d be starving. Something had to be done. So I paid a visit to David Bentley’s room.

Bents was a great lad. The bloke is an absolute wrong ’un, make no mistake about that, but a lot of fun nonetheless. He was always laughing and I mean, always laughing.

I stepped out of my hotel room. There was always heavy security surrounding the England team and I noticed there was a bouncer at both ends of the corridor. I had no idea how we were going to get food in there, but it had to be done because I was starving.

I knocked on Bentley’s door which he immediately opened and he burst out laughing: ‘Wa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!’

‘Bents,’ I said, ‘I haven’t even said anything.’

‘Wa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!’

‘Listen Bents, I’m starving. I’ve got to eat something.’

‘Wa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha! Funny you should say that. So am I.’

‘How can we eat something?’ I asked him.

‘Leave it to me,’ he said as he called a mate of his.

Within half an hour, there was a knock at the door and Bentley’s mate was standing there with a large McDonald’s brown paper bag full of Big Macs and chips. You f***ing beauty!

I don’t think I’ve ever enjoyed a Big Mac as much as that one and, given that McDonald’s were an FA sponsor, it’s what both parties would have wanted.

Bentley was also my partner in crime when it came to taking the  p*** out of Mr Capello.

I remember looking at the gaffer on my first day and thinking, ‘I can’t believe how much he looks like Postman Pat; it’s him!’ The only thing that was missing was the black and white cat.

Because I was new to that whole environment, I didn’t want to make too much of my discovery so I did  it on the sly and used it as an icebreaker, letting some of the boys know that we had a TV personality running the show.

Bentley obviously loved it — ‘Wa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!’ — and when we were on the team coach, we sat at the back and started singing the Postman Pat theme tune.

A few of the boys joined in — I think Rio, Ashley Cole and Jermaine Jenas might have had a quiet little sing-along — but most of the other dry lunches weren’t really up for it.

Another daft scheme Bents and I came up with was seeing who could say ‘Postman Pat’ as loudly as possible within earshot of the gaffer.

I’d walk past Capello and say ‘Postman Pat’ out of the corner of my mouth, but Bentley took it to another level when he would walk straight up to the boss and scream ‘Postman Pat!’ in his face before adding ‘And his black and white cat!’ for good measure.

Bentley had just as much front on the training pitch. Capello set up a training exercise in which he sent three players out wide to put crosses into the penalty area.

He asked David Beckham, Stewart Downing and Joe Cole to do the honours but Bents just followed them to the far side of the pitch.

‘No,’ Capello shouted to Bentley. ‘Just three, you come back.’

But Bentley was having none of it.

‘Leave it out, send one of them back,’ he told Capello. ‘This is my game. I’m one of the best crossers in the country!’

• Upvote 4

Top c*nt :lol: probably dabbling in too much coke to make a return now

‘Leave it out, send one of them back,’ he told Capello. ‘This is my game. I’m one of the best crossers in the country!’

:lmao:

Gas levels got to him, thought he was great till he got onto the pitch in 07 and the hate was emmence. I commend the English fans for that till this day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Officially Retired

• 1 year later...

306E39A300000578-3409931-image-a-84_1453

when you see it

They actually had a good peice on 3rd choice keepers on the BBC around 2 weeks back  Richard Wright was one of the main features was a good insight he is more or less a coach and is just named as a keeper just a title

found an bit of a piece what must of tied in with what I watched but can not find a link to the video

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30536497