Uber

Mizchif

Nah for just going around central black cabs are the one but anything else uber all the way

• Upvote 1

Why is it unfair?

Black cabs have the advantage of using bus lanes like what was already stated.

They are also eating off the black cab brand. Which is having an inside out knowledge of London.

Technology, globalisation and capitalism has disrupted many other industries. Why should black cabs be immune from either adapting, innovating or left behind like many other brands have.

They will never be redundant. But black cab drivers will need to adapt to retain customers. That's how it should be.

How many people lost jobs to manufacturing moving to Asia, shops moving online and many other things.

Can't believe people are falling for the sympathy card here

• Upvote 1

Like I just said if there was traffic.

Black cab whizzing through bus lanes >>>> uber sitting there.

I reckon even though they can use bus lanes the uber fare would be cheaper most of the time

Cheaper, but quicker? No chance. If time wasn't an issue then Uber probably for cost.

/

Black taxis are not that expensive tbh.

Dunno if they do that, think it's universal mugging, a lot of them looking at my bits currently have got used to a lifestyle and uber is and going to continue to fuck that up. Nothing wrong with their entitlement to fight uber but as stated before they need to also be thinking how they gonna evolve and evolve quickly.

• 2 months later...

Peak

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/travel/perth-man-lodges-complaint-after-copping-massive-uber-bill-on-new-years-eve/news-story/2a9d9f2596f19d7ba0f38a569b3fe574

A PERTH man has a different kind hangover today after copping a whopping bill for his ride home under Uber’s controversial “surge” pricing.

Kris Keen, 35, caught an UberX with his friends from a party in the Perth suburb of City Beach south to Hilton, 20km away, at about 1:30am.

The normal fare for the 30-minute trip would have been $37.31. Due to Uber’s surge pricing, which increases fares via an algorithm at times of peak demand, he was hit with an 8.9 times multiplier, bringing the total fare to $332.06.

Mr Keen, who admits to being slightly “merry” at the time, only realised when the trip receipt came through about 15 minutes later.

“I had absolutely no idea it was going to cost that much,” he told news.com.au. “One of our friends left a little bit earlier and she paid a 2 or 2.1 multiplier, which all things considered is probably reasonable.”

Mr Keen said he didn’t know about Uber's fare estimate feature, and said he thought the “8.9” referred to a call-out fee. “I’d be happy to pay a peak fee understanding it’s New Year’s Eve, but 8.9 times the whole fare is outrageous,” he said.

“I think unfortunately at the end of the day I got stung.”

He has lodged a complaint with Consumer Affairs WA regarding the “ambiguity of the notification of surge pricing” and has “challenged [the] fairness of it”.

“I don’t really know if it’s going to achieve much, but I figured I could share my bad experience with others,” said Mr Keen, who vows never to use Uber again.

The trip.Source:Supplied

The bill.Source:Supplied

In response to a complaint lodged via the app, an Uber representative told Mr Keen: “Your trip was taken at a time when there were not enough drivers available to meet the current demand for trips in your area.

“To incentivise more drivers to proceed to your location, our app applies a surge rate. This is why a car was made available at the time you requested.

“However, riders cannot accept a trip during this time without accepting this increased trip cost. For example, before requesting a trip the surge rate is displayed and all riders must click ‘I accept higher fare’.

“You are in no way obligated to accept this higher rate and you can always click ‘notify me when surge ends’. When looking at your trip, our records show that a pricing notification screen displayed a dynamic pricing rate of x8.9.

“If you want to avoid surge in the future, check out surge pro tips blog. If you ever want to get an idea of what your trip may cost with the current rate, you can request a fare estimate in your app ahead of time or at the confirmation screen before sending your trip request.”

News.com.au has contacted Uber Australia for comment.

On Thursday, the head of the taxi industry peak body slammed Uber’s surge pricing, describing it as “exploitative price gouging”.

The “bog standard” response from Uber.Source:Supplied

“It has little to do with driver supply and all to do with taking advantage of shortage in supply to gouge more money out of consumers,” Australian Taxi Industry Association chief executive Blair Davies told news.com.au.

“It’s an exploitation of a circumstance that disadvantages the consumer.”

UberX has around 20,000 drivers across Australia, with 6,500 in Melbourne, 5,000 in Sydney, 4,500 in Brisbane and the Gold Coast, and 2,200 in Perth.

The NSW government gave Uber the green light to operate earlier this month, after the ACT became the first state or territory in Australia to legalise the ride-sharing service. Under the new arrangement, Uber drivers will pay a registration fee of $45 and will be subject to criminal and safety checks.

the thing is

the receipt doesnt come thru till you leave the car... at least probably until you tuck yourself into your bed

and u cant actually see what the fare is on the pda display

so its kind of a cloak and dagger esque situation

i remember dropping my guys home

i was last one

got out went in my bed dum dee da da

looked at my phone and saw £55 i was like wtfffffffffffffffff

Mate you can do fare estimate.

It''s what makes Uber in my mind fair. I can see how much my trip will cost before I request the cab. If you don't want to pay during surge you just wait until it's over and cabs return to normal pricing which in my time using Uber usually took about 20 mins.

You can do a fare estimate and you have to actually manually input the surge rate to book your taxi. I have no sympathy for these people.

I'm at the point where I spend most of my travelling around London in an Uber now (largely because I expense it back to work) but it pisses me off how few there are still when I'm back in Liverpool

Used uber in liverpool but i was like nah fuck that not worth it from time a mini cab costs £2.70 from the docks to lime street and black cabs are also cheap and frequent.

You can do a fare estimate and you have to actually manually input the surge rate to book your taxi. I have no sympathy for these people.

I'm at the point where I spend most of my travelling around London in an Uber now (largely because I expense it back to work) but it pisses me off how few there are still when I'm back in Liverpool

bruv, its in manchester and liverpool. im in Wigan and nothing. i would love it here. but cabs are pretty decent anyway

This niccas talking shit. He did know about the fare estimate, it's there. You use Uber you mug. He did see it was 8.9x the normal rate and he had to click that he accepted it. Mug.

You can't ever be so drunk that you see something like 9x your normal fare and you just think "yeah that's cool" epesicially when the journey you take usually (so he's done his before) costs around $35

Worst thing is with a surge it just means people with app open outnumber cabs in the area by a certain amount

Just wait 2 mins

• 3 months later...